Not as good as its predecessor
By gurunumber2 on
2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
I used to have a 1991 Toyota MR2 until January of this past year when it was taken from me in a rear end collision aka hit me going 70 while I was stopped. I purchased this vehicle thinking it felt so much like the last model. I was wrong. I am thinking about selling it now even though it has only been 11 months. It is so small, much smaller than the previous model. It also doesn't handle as well. Granted it is a good ride, but not as good as the 1991-1995 model year. I have spun out a couple times... once I ended up on the sidewalk... fishtails way too bad. Last car didn't have this problem. This car is too lite and not practical for a daily driver. Fun in good weather with the top down.
Favorite Features
I mainly just like that this one is a convertible, whereas the last one was not. Mine is also the SMT version, and I really enjoy this feature. This one has cup holders whereas the older version doesn't.
Suggested Improvements
It needs a trunk, even a small trunk would do. The interior is also fairly unrefined. The plastic molding looks cheap. My wife would like a mirror on the passenger visor like the previous model. Mainly I wish Toyota would bring back the coupe/Ferrari look that was so successful to begin with.