Used 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Mr2-spyder - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:

If you are looking for fun, this is it.
By silvertoy

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Seriously, if anyone gives this car a bad review, then they probably don't own one. I find myself driving 15 miles out of the way on my commute to and from work, just so I can fit in those extra twisties. It's an excercise in minimalism. True there isn't much storage space, but there's can't be more than 2 of you anyway, how much could you possibly need. I would go as far as saying that the car is even economical, I find myself driving it instead of my Tundra because I get anywhere from 30-35mpg consistantly, AND it uses regular unleaded. It's just fun. It's supportive seats are comfortable on long trips.

Favorite Features

Pure fun, practicality is in the eye of the beholder. little wind w/ top down. Great looks all around.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control option with the stick.

Dream Car
By iteach

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very responsive, fast and surprisingly comfortable. The top has a glass rear window with built-in defroster and does not require a boot cover. The only downside is the lack of trunk space. Overall, it's cute, fun to drive and it's a Toyota so it's reliable. I'd recommend this car to anyone who wants a reasonably prices sports car.

Favorite Features

Speed and short gear shift. Excellent sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Motorized convertible top and more storage space.

MR2 Spyder - my favorite care
By TheMinx

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Even after almost 2 years, I still smile every time I look at my Toyota MR2 Spyder. It handles incredibly well, corners like a dream and accelerates just as I need it to. The huge wheelbase on this small car allows me to take corners marked for 25 MPH at 50+MPH without even a quiver. All the under-the-hood maintenance items are clearly marked and easily found.

Favorite Features

This car operates at an almost intuitive level. When I got in for my first test drive, there was veritually no learning curve. I was impressed at the acceloration and its ablility to handle winding roads at high speeds with ease.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if the convertible top was automatic instead of manual, as occasionally it takes a little effort to get the top latched on. Would also be nice to have a bit more storage room.

Cute Car!!!
By QuickSilver

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

What other car offers more character than the MR2-Spyder? It's fun to drive on the weekend, offers swift handling on the corners, and responsive on the road!

FUN
By BlueFrog

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very fun to drive, with good response and handling. It turns more heads than a Boxter because there are fewer on the streets. It also costs much less.

Favorite Features

I love to drive this car with the top down. The manual top is very easy to open and close.

Suggested Improvements

The SMT is fun, but the response time on shifting lacks a bit. It also has very little cargo room, but this should be expected from this type of car.