Used 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:

Greatest little car ever!
By Vicki Plummer

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I enjoyed my little Spyder for only 18 months. Unfortunately, I was in a 5 car collision, with my little car being the first one hit, by a big landscape truck with a bucket. I walked away from that accident with a couple of scrapes! I am SOO impressed with how well that car handled an accident of that magnitude and protected me as well. I miss my little car!

fans located on the sides...very sporty seats were well made and comfortable my attractive factor went up considerably, dring that sweet little car.

wouldn't change a thing!

Awesome Little Roadster
By MR2RDSTR

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a very classy looking sporty roadster. It turns lots of heads and is extremely fun to drive. The 5spd. SMT sequential transmission is most appealing. I purchased the optional hardtop, which further enhances the overall appearance of the car. It is often mistaken for a porsche boxster. The very limited production numbers make the car quite unique. You occassionally will see one here and there. The overall quality and value for the $$$ is most attractive. This car will prove to be a true classic from Toyota.The resale value is extremely high.

5 spd. sequential manual transmission (no clutch). Interior design & layout.Exterior lines...especially with the hardtop.

Basically, I am quite pleased as is. If I had to make a suggestion, it would be a tad more storage/cargo space. However, I am OK with it.

Roadster Fun
By dsmegst

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used this year and got a yellow one with the 5 speed. (The other choice was Red with more miles) The first few weeks were a pain due to a faulty fuel line clip. (Fuel line popped off 2 times on the road. Not good) No more troubles after the clip was replaced. Absolute joy to drive, all the little imperfections melt away soon as I take the first corner. :) What a great little car.

Lightness and handling.

Stickier tires, a sixth gear, and enough with the little circles already... A small turbo would be great, either that or the 180 bhp version of the 1.8 liter engine.

gas the curves
By davebvaf

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the most fun to drive car I've ever owned. Not meant for travel but around town I keep the foot on the floor from 0-speed limit. Has amazing acceleration for the engine size. With the rear engine it is so much fun to "gas the curves" because it makes the car track the curve plus gives me a little excitement in my every day run around town. No trunk space - no problem - buy everything new when you get there or take the Caddy!

Rear engine and close ratio steering make it fun to drive.

This car is so much fun to drive that I don't even care about the small trunk!

Exactly What I expected
By geooff

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Anybody that bought this car and then complained about cargo space, automatic top etc. Just wasn't paying attention to what they were buying. Its great fun to drive, reliable, and the handling is awesome. You can't touch its performance and unique characteristics for half again as much money.

Midengine design Low weight Convertible top Low production numbers

The Celica GTS engine with 40+ more horsepower would be nice. The antenna looks stupid (fixed '03) Bigger rear wheels (fixed '03)

• SUV