2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Base Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

SMT works
By BXG

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Economical sports car that handles like a dream. I use it as often as my wife will let me.

Favorite Features

Sequential SMT is great for every day usage in heavy trafic.

Suggested Improvements

Quicker upshifts with the SMT. Down shifts are great with the 'heal - toe' performed for you.

pass it on
By brishbah

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is natures best kept secret for feeling younger. Everyone at Toyota who had anything to do with this gem should be very proud of what they have done. If you can't drive a standard shift car do not(repeat:do not) keep yourself from driving this one. It may take you thirty minutes to get the basics of shifting while watching someone (or study it on the computer). Then go out and test drive this 5-speed. I promise you will find it the most fun you had in a very long time. Forget about status, (not a Lexus,Bmw,Mercedes...). Just go for a ride with the top down, no radio, and listen and feel what you have missed for a long time. Enjoy and pass it on.

Favorite Features

The entire car.

Suggested Improvements

Make more of them once more people test drive one.

My silver MR2
By Jennyt71

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I looked at the S2000 before buying my MR2. I couldnt see spending almost $8000 more for a power top and cruise control (yeah, and more hp). I first looked at this car because of friend's recommendations. This is SO much fun to drive and you get LOTS of looks!

Favorite Features

STEERING and style

Suggested Improvements

find some storage space :)

Boy am I surprised !
By hubseth

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the MR2 for my wife to drive, she wanted a fun little sports car. What an eye opening experience this car has proven to be! I've had some fine handling cars over the years but the MR2 is at a different level than anything even close to it's price. No rattles, the doors feel like they are carved from stone compared to a Miata, wind doesn't beat you to death when the top is down and you can drive the hell out of it and not draw any attention from the law. It's kind of a stealth Porsche.

Favorite Features

Top operation is a snap, fit and finish is superb and the transmission is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little more cargo space, but I like the challenge of packing light. I'm also of the school that believes that all vehicles should have 400 horsepower.

This car is a blast!!!!
By heavyd

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We use this car for day trips as as a commuter. Fantastic fuel economy. Fun to drive, very responsive. Gets many looks from everyone. Quality is high and so far it has been very reliable.

Favorite Features

ease of top removal appearance love the torque.

Suggested Improvements

cruise control with manual transmission should be easy enough to do. consider 6th gear, for flat out highway cruising.

If you are looking for fun, this is it.
By silvertoy

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Seriously, if anyone gives this car a bad review, then they probably don't own one. I find myself driving 15 miles out of the way on my commute to and from work, just so I can fit in those extra twisties. It's an excercise in minimalism. True there isn't much storage space, but there's can't be more than 2 of you anyway, how much could you possibly need. I would go as far as saying that the car is even economical, I find myself driving it instead of my Tundra because I get anywhere from 30-35mpg consistantly, AND it uses regular unleaded. It's just fun. It's supportive seats are comfortable on long trips.

Favorite Features

Pure fun, practicality is in the eye of the beholder. little wind w/ top down. Great looks all around.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control option with the stick.

Dream Car
By iteach

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very responsive, fast and surprisingly comfortable. The top has a glass rear window with built-in defroster and does not require a boot cover. The only downside is the lack of trunk space. Overall, it's cute, fun to drive and it's a Toyota so it's reliable. I'd recommend this car to anyone who wants a reasonably prices sports car.

Favorite Features

Speed and short gear shift. Excellent sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Motorized convertible top and more storage space.

MR2 Spyder - my favorite care
By TheMinx

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Even after almost 2 years, I still smile every time I look at my Toyota MR2 Spyder. It handles incredibly well, corners like a dream and accelerates just as I need it to. The huge wheelbase on this small car allows me to take corners marked for 25 MPH at 50+MPH without even a quiver. All the under-the-hood maintenance items are clearly marked and easily found.

Favorite Features

This car operates at an almost intuitive level. When I got in for my first test drive, there was veritually no learning curve. I was impressed at the acceloration and its ablility to handle winding roads at high speeds with ease.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if the convertible top was automatic instead of manual, as occasionally it takes a little effort to get the top latched on. Would also be nice to have a bit more storage room.

Cute Car!!!
By QuickSilver

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

What other car offers more character than the MR2-Spyder? It's fun to drive on the weekend, offers swift handling on the corners, and responsive on the road!

FUN
By BlueFrog

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very fun to drive, with good response and handling. It turns more heads than a Boxter because there are fewer on the streets. It also costs much less.

Favorite Features

I love to drive this car with the top down. The manual top is very easy to open and close.

Suggested Improvements

The SMT is fun, but the response time on shifting lacks a bit. It also has very little cargo room, but this should be expected from this type of car.