2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:
SMT works
By BXG on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Economical sports car that handles like a dream. I use it as often as my wife will let me.

pass it on
By brishbah on 08/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is natures best kept secret for feeling younger. Everyone at Toyota who had anything to do with this gem should be very proud of what they have done. If you can't drive a standard shift car do not(repeat:do not) keep yourself from driving this one. It may take you thirty minutes to get the basics of shifting while watching someone (or study it on the computer). Then go out and test drive this 5-speed. I promise you will find it the most fun you had in a very long time. Forget about status, (not a Lexus,Bmw,Mercedes...). Just go for a ride with the top down, no radio, and listen and feel what you have missed for a long time. Enjoy and pass it on.

My silver MR2
By Jennyt71 on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I looked at the S2000 before buying my MR2. I couldnt see spending almost $8000 more for a power top and cruise control (yeah, and more hp). I first looked at this car because of friend's recommendations. This is SO much fun to drive and you get LOTS of looks!

Boy am I surprised !
By hubseth on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the MR2 for my wife to drive, she wanted a fun little sports car. What an eye opening experience this car has proven to be! I've had some fine handling cars over the years but the MR2 is at a different level than anything even close to it's price. No rattles, the doors feel like they are carved from stone compared to a Miata, wind doesn't beat you to death when the top is down and you can drive the hell out of it and not draw any attention from the law. It's kind of a stealth Porsche.

This car is a blast!!!!
By heavyd on 08/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We use this car for day trips as as a commuter. Fantastic fuel economy. Fun to drive, very responsive. Gets many looks from everyone. Quality is high and so far it has been very reliable.

If you are looking for fun, this is it.
By silvertoy on 07/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Seriously, if anyone gives this car a bad review, then they probably don't own one. I find myself driving 15 miles out of the way on my commute to and from work, just so I can fit in those extra twisties. It's an excercise in minimalism. True there isn't much storage space, but there's can't be more than 2 of you anyway, how much could you possibly need. I would go as far as saying that the car is even economical, I find myself driving it instead of my Tundra because I get anywhere from 30-35mpg consistantly, AND it uses regular unleaded. It's just fun. It's supportive seats are comfortable on long trips.

Dream Car
By iteach on 07/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very responsive, fast and surprisingly comfortable. The top has a glass rear window with built-in defroster and does not require a boot cover. The only downside is the lack of trunk space. Overall, it's cute, fun to drive and it's a Toyota so it's reliable. I'd recommend this car to anyone who wants a reasonably prices sports car.

MR2 Spyder - my favorite care
By TheMinx on 07/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Even after almost 2 years, I still smile every time I look at my Toyota MR2 Spyder. It handles incredibly well, corners like a dream and accelerates just as I need it to. The huge wheelbase on this small car allows me to take corners marked for 25 MPH at 50+MPH without even a quiver. All the under-the-hood maintenance items are clearly marked and easily found.

Cute Car!!!
By QuickSilver on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

What other car offers more character than the MR2-Spyder? It's fun to drive on the weekend, offers swift handling on the corners, and responsive on the road!

FUN
By BlueFrog on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very fun to drive, with good response and handling. It turns more heads than a Boxter because there are fewer on the streets. It also costs much less.