Used 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:

I Love This Car
By Spargo

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is simply amazing, I love the connection between driver and machine in this car, it was the perfect vehicle to gain some real skill in. I had learned before how to drive manual but this is the first I have owned. I personally love the power, we live in a world of speedlimits so having a car where the sensation of speed is greater than the speed you're going or the ammount your accelerating is actually a good thing. Every drive is a thrill and I almost feel bad pulling into my own driveway.

Is everything a feature?

None really, I mean yes I would like what anyone would like, a higher hp engine, meatier tires, fancier suspension, automatic climate controls, heated seats etc, but this would have just made the car pricer and a different car, its perfect the way it is. It's not trying to be 2 cars.

MR2 Fun Fun
By steve

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great car but understand that it is not meant to be driven daily. Just getting stuff home from a food store is an adventure. Lordy, though, the adventure is incredible once you get out on roads with lots of curves. An amazing car. Great to look at, performance is fantasic. Body put together well, interior has some issues, things tended to just fall apart. Car has gotten louder in the interior as it has aged. But have owned lots of two seaters going back to MGs andTRs and it is an amazing car. Buy one!!

Interior needs higher quality on dash. Seat fabric needs to be of a higher quality, tends to show wear.

Fun Car
By Spyderman

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Best/most fun car, I've ever owned. Hard to imagine how handling could be any better. Reasonably comfortable, with a decent amount of room. Styling is great, always gets noticed.

What's not to like?

Could use a litle more cargo capacity, but since it's no longer in production, improvements are not in the cards.

Great car! What Fun!
By Carol G

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my MR2 for almost 4 years and have loved every minute of it! There are always looks to see what I'm driving. If you love lots of attention, you must drive this car!

Style, ease of parking, lots of attention! Fun, Fun, Fun!

Automatic top would be nice! The storage is an issue but you can buy those expandable bags that work just fine behind each seat!! Great for a short road trip!

Fun, Fun, Fun
By chris

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Wasn't looking to buy a car until I drove this one. Had 34K and runs like it is new. This is a great little car. Bought a luggage rack for traveling. I looked at the 03, 04 and 05 on the net and I like the 02 the best. Great car to get past that mid-life crisis. BTW, the wife likes it too. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Handling, styling, gas mileage