Used 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:

Wow!! I love this little car!!
By Ricky Reed

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've now owned this little car for four years now, and I have to say it's the best I've ever owned. Gas mileage - wow! I average 32-36 mpg around town. No repairs, just oil changes. Everybody is still asking me what it is... they think it's a Porsche! Hangs curves really well with rear engine. Don't complain about the storage space, cuz it's not made for 10 hour vacation trips. Great for touring the countryside, relieving stress, enjoying the scenery. Always turns heads, even a six year old car. Would I sell it? Never!!

Rear engine for traction and curves. Build quality blows Mazda Miata away. Gas mileage is outstanding.

A sixth gear would be all. I know the car is not made for packing a set of luggage, but I didn't buy it for that. Toyota needs to start making them again.

The perfect California commuter car
By Steve

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The 6 speed semi-automatic transmission takes a little time to become instinctive. There were many bad shifts the first week or two, but it's truly a godsend in bad traffic. The car is fun, responsive, easy on gas. I can drop the top in less than a minute sitting at a redlight. If you need to haul junk around don't buy this car. There is no trunk.

It has a shifter in the center console between the seats, as well as, shifter buttons on the steering wheel.

None.

I Love This Car
By Spargo

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is simply amazing, I love the connection between driver and machine in this car, it was the perfect vehicle to gain some real skill in. I had learned before how to drive manual but this is the first I have owned. I personally love the power, we live in a world of speedlimits so having a car where the sensation of speed is greater than the speed you're going or the ammount your accelerating is actually a good thing. Every drive is a thrill and I almost feel bad pulling into my own driveway.

Is everything a feature?

None really, I mean yes I would like what anyone would like, a higher hp engine, meatier tires, fancier suspension, automatic climate controls, heated seats etc, but this would have just made the car pricer and a different car, its perfect the way it is. It's not trying to be 2 cars.

MR2 Fun Fun
By steve

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great car but understand that it is not meant to be driven daily. Just getting stuff home from a food store is an adventure. Lordy, though, the adventure is incredible once you get out on roads with lots of curves. An amazing car. Great to look at, performance is fantasic. Body put together well, interior has some issues, things tended to just fall apart. Car has gotten louder in the interior as it has aged. But have owned lots of two seaters going back to MGs andTRs and it is an amazing car. Buy one!!

Interior needs higher quality on dash. Seat fabric needs to be of a higher quality, tends to show wear.

Fun Car
By Spyderman

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Best/most fun car, I've ever owned. Hard to imagine how handling could be any better. Reasonably comfortable, with a decent amount of room. Styling is great, always gets noticed.

What's not to like?

Could use a litle more cargo capacity, but since it's no longer in production, improvements are not in the cards.