2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:
Just bought an MR2 a few months ago! BEST desicion i ever made
By dapersian on 04/21/12 21:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a car that could handle the Utah winters but was fun to drive in the summer. I needed a car that would give me great gas with great reliability. Out of all the roadsters i researched, I found the MR2 Spyder to be the choice for me. The engine located right above the rear tires would allow better traction in the winters. The 1.8 L engine would allow great gas mileage. With the MR2 being build by Toyota, reliability was never a concern. I am a 5 '5 very stocky guy and i fit in it just fine! If you want a car that is designed for comfort, buy a luxury car. The MR2 was not built for comfort, it was built to rip up canyon roads while looking extraordinarily sexy!!

YEE HA
By Old Bimmers on 07/28/10 07:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Driving this car while naked is the only way to improve the experience. Bought used from meticulous owner (96k miles). Drove back from TN to waves, smiles and honks with the top down of course; got about 33 mpg @ 75-80 mph. Came back with a framed picture, a lamp w/shade, a wheeled suitcase, beach bag and a pink flamingo. Who said there's no storage? (Just delete any passenger.) There's storage behind the seats and you can sneak a few small items in the spare tire well. This car sits lower than a Mini Cooper. A Honda Fit looks like an SUV when you pull alongside. Keep lights on when driving to improve visibility by others. Buy one and look for the winding roads! YEE HA!

Just buy it!
By Roger on 09/26/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A blast to drive, even more fun to drive than the 87' MR2 that I drove for ten years straight. A fellow latest generation MR2 owner said "You don't get in this car, you put it on". That is just the beginning of having a incredible time every moment in one of the finer engineered products on the market today. If you're doing your research, ignore those who complain about not enough storage space, HELLO- this is a sports car. There are also those who cry about not enough power, 0-60 in under seven seconds, my 2002 has all of the power I need. Others need to spend more time learning how to use the great handling & the advantages of state-of-the-art engineering.

Worst car I've ever had
By zak on 05/22/09 10:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Toyota mr2 spyder just last October from a dealer my family and I have bought several cars from. 2 months from the time I bought it, the transmission went. 1 month after that one of the two catalytic converters clogged the exhaust. 2 weeks (now) the other catalytic converter goes out, as well as some engine noise that does not sound so good. Everyone says Toyota are the best cars reliability wise, well I've had 2 Toyotas so far. A 2006 Toyota corolla (new), and a 2002 Toyota spyder (used). Never again will I buy another. Sorry Toyota fans for being so negative, I've just had some really bad luck in these hard times.

Awesome Car
By Saysum on 01/22/09 11:50 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Real fun to drive. A big head turner no matter where you are. Pristine handling around curves. Good acceleration. Handles VERY well. A real blast to ride with top down. Great lil car to have around.

Not as good as its predecessor
By gurunumber2 on 11/23/08 14:30 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I used to have a 1991 Toyota MR2 until January of this past year when it was taken from me in a rear end collision aka hit me going 70 while I was stopped. I purchased this vehicle thinking it felt so much like the last model. I was wrong. I am thinking about selling it now even though it has only been 11 months. It is so small, much smaller than the previous model. It also doesn't handle as well. Granted it is a good ride, but not as good as the 1991-1995 model year. I have spun out a couple times... once I ended up on the sidewalk... fishtails way too bad. Last car didn't have this problem. This car is too lite and not practical for a daily driver. Fun in good weather with the top down.

Wow!! I love this little car!!
By Ricky Reed on 07/28/08 14:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've now owned this little car for four years now, and I have to say it's the best I've ever owned. Gas mileage - wow! I average 32-36 mpg around town. No repairs, just oil changes. Everybody is still asking me what it is... they think it's a Porsche! Hangs curves really well with rear engine. Don't complain about the storage space, cuz it's not made for 10 hour vacation trips. Great for touring the countryside, relieving stress, enjoying the scenery. Always turns heads, even a six year old car. Would I sell it? Never!!

The perfect California commuter car
By Steve on 05/29/08 09:21 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The 6 speed semi-automatic transmission takes a little time to become instinctive. There were many bad shifts the first week or two, but it's truly a godsend in bad traffic. The car is fun, responsive, easy on gas. I can drop the top in less than a minute sitting at a redlight. If you need to haul junk around don't buy this car. There is no trunk.

I Love This Car
By Spargo on 12/04/07 10:18 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is simply amazing, I love the connection between driver and machine in this car, it was the perfect vehicle to gain some real skill in. I had learned before how to drive manual but this is the first I have owned. I personally love the power, we live in a world of speedlimits so having a car where the sensation of speed is greater than the speed you're going or the ammount your accelerating is actually a good thing. Every drive is a thrill and I almost feel bad pulling into my own driveway.

MR2 Fun Fun
By steve on 06/19/07 12:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great car but understand that it is not meant to be driven daily. Just getting stuff home from a food store is an adventure. Lordy, though, the adventure is incredible once you get out on roads with lots of curves. An amazing car. Great to look at, performance is fantasic. Body put together well, interior has some issues, things tended to just fall apart. Car has gotten louder in the interior as it has aged. But have owned lots of two seaters going back to MGs andTRs and it is an amazing car. Buy one!!