2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Consumer Review: Fun car to own and drive

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder - Consumer Review

Fun car to own and drive
By Joe on

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a slightly modified VW GTI for this car and couldn't be happier. I've had this car for almost a year now and will not part with it for a practical car anytime soon. The midengine rwd layout is a blast and stock this car will out handle pretty much anything in its price range and most cars out of it. The interior has everything you need, and there aren't any unnecesary addons, which is perfect. I have the cloth seats which grip very nicely in the turns and having driven my friend's MR2 Spyder with leather seats, I wouldn't trade him for them as those cause you to slide. I recommend this to anyone who wants a fun car and doesn't mind the lack of practicality.

Easy to work on, a great car for those who want to do things themselves. The handling is incredible and the feel of the car is like nothing else; it's so much fun to hear the engine roar from behind you as it rockets you around a turn.

Stiffen the suspension more than stock (easily done with coilovers which I recently installed myself; the TRD set is perfect to maintain daily drivability) and stiffen the car through bracing, also easily doable through the aftermarket. Other than that I think the car is perfect and I love it.