Used 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (46 reviews )

Good as it gets
By Phlyr

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second MR2. I owned a mkI and had to sell it because my wife said I needed a grown up cars to move my kids around in. Now they have their own rides and I'm back where I belong. This is the most fun you can have with your clothes on and I'm not giving this one up! Sure, there's no trunk. Big deal! I couldn't find a trunk large enough to carry the grin I wear when I'm driving this car. Think of it as a motorcycle with doors and if that's what you are after the Spyder is your car.

People still ask, "What is that?" It's yellow It corners like crazy and the brakes will make your eyes bleed.

Clean up the interior and add gauges.

I'm a Toyota Man Now!
By unb10

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a lot of cars, but this one takes the cake. The handling is awe inspiring, even if the horsepower isn't. Still, a 6.5 second 0-60 mph time is enough for me, and I enjoy getting 30+ mpg. For those who said the interior looks "cheap" and "plastic", get the leather interior. It is reminiscent of higher priced performance cars. I love the look and feel of the interior, very comfortable, and I'm a large guy. Everywhere I go, people stop and stare. And you may not need more HP. I've had two sports cars back down from a race ('05 Mustang, '03 Firebird). Reason? They thought it was a Porsche. I was a Chevy lover before, but I'm a Toyota man now.

With today's gas prices, my fav. feature is GAS MILEAGE! Great speed for the horsepower (only 1 second behind Porsche Boxster 1/4 mile time). CD/Tape deck combo let's me listen to CD's or my iPod using a cassette adapter. And the top can be put down from inside easily and quickly.

Not much. Cruise control would be great. More horsepower. I thought I would want a power top, but the manual goes up much quicker, for when a sudden rain storm hits. Both windows to be Auto Down, rather than just the driver's. More storage, it's fun for road trips, but pack light.

One of the Great Sports Cars
By bmil

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven most of the great sports cars: Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Lotus etc... and have been a long time fan of sports cars. This car ranks as one of the all time greats in my book. Reliability, great fuel economy and fun fun fun to drive. By definition a sports car needs to do the following: accelerate, brake and handle. The MR2 does all of this and more. It gives you a feeling of being in a go cart. Pure driving feel. The car's feedback is great. It communicates so well to the driver. The ride is a bit stiff, but hey you give to get. More horsepower would be nice, but on public roads this car allows you to tap into the fun zone even at lower speeds. Exotic sports car feel at bargain $

gas mileage, dash design, line of sight, looks, toyota reliability

hardtop, more horsepower, bigger wheels (tires), more storage

great little car
By arr1

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Like the Beach Boys said - FUN, FUN, FUN. Get up and go, it's got, lot of cargo space - not. Great second car for the work commute or the weekend crusing. A looker too, turns heads wherever you go. Must ride with top down, no wind with windows up so it's pleasant. 30 mpg so you can fight off the high fuel prices. Top is very easy to put up and down.

Looks, performance, ride, handeling, fuel economy, great headlights (compared to my mini van), great heater.

6 speed trans (revs high, 80mph-4000 rpm in 5th)

Life is Good
By LittleRedRidingHood

Purchased a 2001 Red/black Spyder in
the summer of 2003. It's not for
everyone, but if you're single with no
kids, this is the car for you. It
handles flawlessly, can be parked
anywhere, and leaves every other car in
the dust. I used to travel by plane,
but now I refuse to fly anywhere within
a 3-state radius. The only problem I
have encountered is excessive tire
wear - and I'm not sure I can blame the
car for that. I'm embarrased to admit I
smile everytime I see my car. Just to
balance my glowing review: my brother
is 6'2" and refuses to drive my car
anywhere. He thinks it is terribly
uncomfortable, totally impractical, and
hates the non-stop attention it
receives. To each his/her own.

Style, handling, gas economy, fits me like a glove. What I like the most: Whenever I go to put my bags in the trunk, there are always men standing around to say, "Sweetheart, the trunk's in the back - the engine's in the front," and I have the pleasure of saying, "Sweetheart, watch this!"

Put the power steering fluid in a more accessible place. Backing up, there's a blind spot on the passenger side. More safety features should be mandatory if I have to share the road with SUVs and trucks.