Used 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Mr2-spyder - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (45 reviews )

I'm a Toyota Man Now!
By unb10

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a lot of cars, but this one takes the cake. The handling is awe inspiring, even if the horsepower isn't. Still, a 6.5 second 0-60 mph time is enough for me, and I enjoy getting 30+ mpg. For those who said the interior looks "cheap" and "plastic", get the leather interior. It is reminiscent of higher priced performance cars. I love the look and feel of the interior, very comfortable, and I'm a large guy. Everywhere I go, people stop and stare. And you may not need more HP. I've had two sports cars back down from a race ('05 Mustang, '03 Firebird). Reason? They thought it was a Porsche. I was a Chevy lover before, but I'm a Toyota man now.

Favorite Features

With today's gas prices, my fav. feature is GAS MILEAGE! Great speed for the horsepower (only 1 second behind Porsche Boxster 1/4 mile time). CD/Tape deck combo let's me listen to CD's or my iPod using a cassette adapter. And the top can be put down from inside easily and quickly.

Suggested Improvements

Not much. Cruise control would be great. More horsepower. I thought I would want a power top, but the manual goes up much quicker, for when a sudden rain storm hits. Both windows to be Auto Down, rather than just the driver's. More storage, it's fun for road trips, but pack light.

One of the Great Sports Cars
By bmil

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven most of the great sports cars: Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Lotus etc... and have been a long time fan of sports cars. This car ranks as one of the all time greats in my book. Reliability, great fuel economy and fun fun fun to drive. By definition a sports car needs to do the following: accelerate, brake and handle. The MR2 does all of this and more. It gives you a feeling of being in a go cart. Pure driving feel. The car's feedback is great. It communicates so well to the driver. The ride is a bit stiff, but hey you give to get. More horsepower would be nice, but on public roads this car allows you to tap into the fun zone even at lower speeds. Exotic sports car feel at bargain $

Favorite Features

gas mileage, dash design, line of sight, looks, toyota reliability

Suggested Improvements

hardtop, more horsepower, bigger wheels (tires), more storage

great little car
By arr1

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Like the Beach Boys said - FUN, FUN, FUN. Get up and go, it's got, lot of cargo space - not. Great second car for the work commute or the weekend crusing. A looker too, turns heads wherever you go. Must ride with top down, no wind with windows up so it's pleasant. 30 mpg so you can fight off the high fuel prices. Top is very easy to put up and down.

Favorite Features

Looks, performance, ride, handeling, fuel economy, great headlights (compared to my mini van), great heater.

Suggested Improvements

6 speed trans (revs high, 80mph-4000 rpm in 5th)

Life is Good
By LittleRedRidingHood

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a 2001 Red/black Spyder in the summer of 2003. It's not for everyone, but if you're single with no kids, this is the car for you. It handles flawlessly, can be parked anywhere, and leaves every other car in the dust. I used to travel by plane, but now I refuse to fly anywhere within a 3-state radius. The only problem I have encountered is excessive tire wear - and I'm not sure I can blame the car for that. I'm embarrased to admit I smile everytime I see my car. Just to balance my glowing review: my brother is 6'2" and refuses to drive my car anywhere. He thinks it is terribly uncomfortable, totally impractical, and hates the non-stop attention it receives. To each his/her own.

Favorite Features

Style, handling, gas economy, fits me like a glove. What I like the most: Whenever I go to put my bags in the trunk, there are always men standing around to say, "Sweetheart, the trunk's in the back - the engine's in the front," and I have the pleasure of saying, "Sweetheart, watch this!"

Suggested Improvements

Put the power steering fluid in a more accessible place. Backing up, there's a blind spot on the passenger side. More safety features should be mandatory if I have to share the road with SUVs and trucks.

Head turner
By arr2

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Get one of these to turn heads where ever you go. Every one asks, "what is it". It is a blast to drive, corners like on rails, pulls away from a green light in a wink. Cargo space is limited but it's not a long tripper. Top is easy to work. Engine revs a little high at speed, could use a 6th gear in the manual tranny, but still gets 30 mpg. These are rare, every one's got a Miata. Overall experiance in a word -- FUN--

Favorite Features

Handling,looks(plus the ones you get),easy top, easy shifting trans.

Suggested Improvements

a 6th gear, cruise, better speakers, a little more luggage space, or a good looking well designed luggage rack.