2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews 3

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (45 reviews )
Alot of problems after 36000 miles
By jd5432 on 06/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced the lower engine at 33000 miles, warranty. Tan convertible top stains extremely easy from the environmental polutions. Front end suspension went out after 36000 miles, $400. Power steering went out at 42000 miles, $1,180. Currently a vibration/noise coming from the rear end service department says it is from a loose bumber...I need to take it to a body shop to get an estimate. The car has never been in an accident. The front end is STILL loose and Toyota claims it is set to "Factory". If so, Toyota has a problem.

Great Car....Buy One Today
By Gregs MR2 on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I must say that this is one of the finest little sports cars I have ever driven. I currently own a Lotus Esprit Turbo and a Triumph TR6. My MR2 is my daily driver and just as much fun to drive. To think, Lotus chose the engine and powertrain in this baby to be used in the Elise to be sold in the USA.

Cool Car
By DDUCA on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

IS A REAL FAST CAR FOR A 1.8 LITER

Worth the investment?
By Desert Don on 12/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Spyder now for better than 3 years. It's used as a fair weather driver exclusively. For it's design as an "inexpensive sports car" it's a winner. Don't buy this one expecting to use it for much more than FUN. Luggage/Storage is a joke. Although it's a very light vehicle, I find myself looking for just one more gear (5 isn't quite enough) and a bit more power. Simply a FUN TOY if your in the market for one. Bottom line, drive this one before you spend the added $$ for anything else!

First Impressions
By Nitz16 on 11/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

These are my first impressions: This car is very fun to drive, and surprisingly roomy and comfortable inside for an avg size person. I bought it used with 8K on it. Obviously it's a Porche wannabe, but some of us are not going to spend twice as much for essentially the same ride, or for a summer fun car, so I think it is a good value.

Excellent
By Walter Foster on 10/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

As a good general all around sports car it is great, at the top end of the lower priced affordable cars. Like it a bit better than my Miata. Read wheel rear engine drive makes the car a unique handler. Front end might be a bit too like but as long as you know it not a real issue. Easier on long trips as the Miata, but not as good a my 350Z. Best description! fun.

Proven over 50,000 miles
By cpl on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The most fun car we've ever owned. It's a quick and nimble ride, excellent in the SoCal canyons and amid the SUVs on the freeways. With the car so short and the wheelbase so long, it's easy to park in in otherwise impossible spots, a real plus at the beach. The best of all worlds, it's efficient around the city, romantic on a date, and fun on the open road.

Lemon?
By Mason1024 on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love her, but she's on her third transmission and second engine. Informal research shows that 2002+ models are more reliable. Very fun, impractical car. If only she were as solid as Toyotas are supposed to be, I would gladly put a couple hundred thousand miles on her.

Spyder
By 290boy on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Id buy again, definetly used not new. Way overpriced for a new car (26k) Buy it 1 or 2 years old

Time Machine
By dickiedenn on 05/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

You won't go wrong with this car. Looked at other sports cars in the MS2 class to feed my midlife crisis, nothing touches it for spirited driving and ease of ownership. Can't keep the rest of the family away from the car. Still get looks wherever I go.