Used 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (45 reviews )

Toyota MR2 Spyder
By Weaselboys

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Toyota quality is in this vehicle, it has held up remarkably well over the last 5+ years. I've only had some minor problems that were easily fixed.

Sharp looking design. Plenty of power for a 4 cylinder vehicle. Great price for a convertible sports car.

Cruise control that was added in later year models.

BRING IT BACK... simply the Best
By hplardog

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Quick and easy to move around in city traffic. FUN. Easy to drive. I look forward each day driving to and from work. Did I say it is FUN to drive? I like the looks I get as I drive by. I have been asked more than once..."what is that?" Gas mileage... I own an SUV, but I drive the MR2 Spyder. Even though it is little, it gets me around. Reliable and FUN... I did say it was Fun didn't I. Can't take lots of stuff in it.. a glove box in the front and two glove boxes in the back.. behind the seats. When I have a choice, I take the Spyder. TOYOTA Why did you quit making this car!!! A true sports car, economical, easy to afford, the backing of the good name TOYOTA. Bring it back!!

The fact that it is a convertible, the fact that it is unique, the way it performs, the fact that it is affordable to purchase and to operate... except for the tires... Those were expensive tires!!! Did I mention that it is really FUN to drive? Love this car. Would get 100% if it had more space!

Only thing I can say is that it needs a place to put a brief case other than the passenger seat. a little area behind the seats would have worked great. a place over the tire could have possibly worked. That is one of 2 gripes. no space for a suit case and the fact that TOYOTA has quit making it!

Eats 2 qts oil every 1000 mi.
By David

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Driving has been just fine, nice handling, somewhat anemic power, but adequate. Engine eats 2 qts of oil every 1000 miles, and oil has been changed at a dealership every 3000 miles, but Toyota Extra Care is trying to deny warranty. Car is bone stock, always maintained, and because I didn't just run it out of oil like everyone else does, I'm getting penalized. I should mention, I've worked for Toyota for 13 years. Way to take care of your people, guys.

It is a fun car to drive, it's very nimble, and it stops very well.

The catalytic converters that fall apart, the engine that falls apart, no trunk, no storage, no redeeming grace other than fun to drive. My 91 MR2 is faster, more reliable, better built, nicer interior, and manages to go about it's business only eating a half quart every oil change, go figure.

Fun Car to Drive
By Ron Asteak

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Toyota Mr2 Spyder has been a pleasure to own. It handles great in all conditions. This is truly a thrilling car to drive with the top down. The engine is peppy and it shifts like a dream. The ride is stiff and bumpy but I still love it!

Good as it gets
By Phlyr

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second MR2. I owned a mkI and had to sell it because my wife said I needed a grown up cars to move my kids around in. Now they have their own rides and I'm back where I belong. This is the most fun you can have with your clothes on and I'm not giving this one up! Sure, there's no trunk. Big deal! I couldn't find a trunk large enough to carry the grin I wear when I'm driving this car. Think of it as a motorcycle with doors and if that's what you are after the Spyder is your car.

People still ask, "What is that?" It's yellow It corners like crazy and the brakes will make your eyes bleed.

Clean up the interior and add gauges.