2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (45 reviews )
Toyota MR2 Spyder
By Weaselboys on 04/15/06 08:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Toyota quality is in this vehicle, it has held up remarkably well over the last 5+ years. I've only had some minor problems that were easily fixed.

BRING IT BACK... simply the Best
By hplardog on 02/27/06 13:17 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Quick and easy to move around in city traffic. FUN. Easy to drive. I look forward each day driving to and from work. Did I say it is FUN to drive? I like the looks I get as I drive by. I have been asked more than once..."what is that?" Gas mileage... I own an SUV, but I drive the MR2 Spyder. Even though it is little, it gets me around. Reliable and FUN... I did say it was Fun didn't I. Can't take lots of stuff in it.. a glove box in the front and two glove boxes in the back.. behind the seats. When I have a choice, I take the Spyder. TOYOTA Why did you quit making this car!!! A true sports car, economical, easy to afford, the backing of the good name TOYOTA. Bring it back!!

Eats 2 qts oil every 1000 mi.
By David on 01/21/06 14:12 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Driving has been just fine, nice handling, somewhat anemic power, but adequate. Engine eats 2 qts of oil every 1000 miles, and oil has been changed at a dealership every 3000 miles, but Toyota Extra Care is trying to deny warranty. Car is bone stock, always maintained, and because I didn't just run it out of oil like everyone else does, I'm getting penalized. I should mention, I've worked for Toyota for 13 years. Way to take care of your people, guys.

Fun Car to Drive
By Ron Asteak on 12/26/05 16:50 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Toyota Mr2 Spyder has been a pleasure to own. It handles great in all conditions. This is truly a thrilling car to drive with the top down. The engine is peppy and it shifts like a dream. The ride is stiff and bumpy but I still love it!

Good as it gets
By Phlyr on 11/19/05 12:44 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second MR2. I owned a mkI and had to sell it because my wife said I needed a grown up cars to move my kids around in. Now they have their own rides and I'm back where I belong. This is the most fun you can have with your clothes on and I'm not giving this one up! Sure, there's no trunk. Big deal! I couldn't find a trunk large enough to carry the grin I wear when I'm driving this car. Think of it as a motorcycle with doors and if that's what you are after the Spyder is your car.

I'm a Toyota Man Now!
By unb10 on 09/05/05 12:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a lot of cars, but this one takes the cake. The handling is awe inspiring, even if the horsepower isn't. Still, a 6.5 second 0-60 mph time is enough for me, and I enjoy getting 30+ mpg. For those who said the interior looks "cheap" and "plastic", get the leather interior. It is reminiscent of higher priced performance cars. I love the look and feel of the interior, very comfortable, and I'm a large guy. Everywhere I go, people stop and stare. And you may not need more HP. I've had two sports cars back down from a race ('05 Mustang, '03 Firebird). Reason? They thought it was a Porsche. I was a Chevy lover before, but I'm a Toyota man now.

One of the Great Sports Cars
By bmil on 06/03/05 09:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven most of the great sports cars: Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Lotus etc... and have been a long time fan of sports cars. This car ranks as one of the all time greats in my book. Reliability, great fuel economy and fun fun fun to drive. By definition a sports car needs to do the following: accelerate, brake and handle. The MR2 does all of this and more. It gives you a feeling of being in a go cart. Pure driving feel. The car's feedback is great. It communicates so well to the driver. The ride is a bit stiff, but hey you give to get. More horsepower would be nice, but on public roads this car allows you to tap into the fun zone even at lower speeds. Exotic sports car feel at bargain $

great little car
By arr1 on 03/28/05 17:02 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Like the Beach Boys said - FUN, FUN, FUN. Get up and go, it's got, lot of cargo space - not. Great second car for the work commute or the weekend crusing. A looker too, turns heads wherever you go. Must ride with top down, no wind with windows up so it's pleasant. 30 mpg so you can fight off the high fuel prices. Top is very easy to put up and down.

Life is Good
By LittleRedRidingHood on 12/28/04 01:40 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a 2001 Red/black Spyder in the summer of 2003. It's not for everyone, but if you're single with no kids, this is the car for you. It handles flawlessly, can be parked anywhere, and leaves every other car in the dust. I used to travel by plane, but now I refuse to fly anywhere within a 3-state radius. The only problem I have encountered is excessive tire wear - and I'm not sure I can blame the car for that. I'm embarrased to admit I smile everytime I see my car. Just to balance my glowing review: my brother is 6'2" and refuses to drive my car anywhere. He thinks it is terribly uncomfortable, totally impractical, and hates the non-stop attention it receives. To each his/her own.

Head turner
By arr2 on 09/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Get one of these to turn heads where ever you go. Every one asks, "what is it". It is a blast to drive, corners like on rails, pulls away from a green light in a wink. Cargo space is limited but it's not a long tripper. Top is easy to work. Engine revs a little high at speed, could use a 6th gear in the manual tranny, but still gets 30 mpg. These are rare, every one's got a Miata. Overall experiance in a word -- FUN--