2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (45 reviews )
Pure fun!
By bretter66 on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just love getting drive this little car, it is so Fun! Almost go cart like, good in turns, smooth on the road. Its a little tough to get out of, being a 6 footer, But worth the drive. Great on the gas mileage for a Summer 3rd car that is economical & trendy also rare it's a keeper

Not the best, but better than many
By Mariano on 05/05/10 18:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Although this car has been categorized as "sports", it isn't. It lacks the power to support, "sports". What many people are complaining about I have to agree with as far as easy scratches, "ears" on my top when dropped, and fogged headlights. However, I love the interior of this car as basic and simple as it is. It has what you need, not what you want. That's what I want. Of course it would be ideal if this car was a lexus, but it isn't. I highly recommend to purchase this car used and invest another 3k into a turbo and another 1k into suspension components. I will have spent a total of 11k into this car if I do so with the purchase price; then the car would be phenomenally fast and handling.

Unique Dependability
By The Borg on 09/17/09 20:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I flew to Indiana from Michigan to purchase my 2001 MR-2. I enjoy the tan leather seats and carbon fiber dash appointments. I put on special chrome wheels. Larger set of Toyo's on back and Dual exhaust adapted from existing system. I have had nothing but joy when I drive. I currently have 36,000 miles on it and appreciate the great millage.

Junk... Save Money and Buy Much Better
By SomeDude on 05/23/09 11:35 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, I'm going to give the real review on this car. I've always owned some pretty nice sports cars and after 2 years of owning this I can say its pretty much complete junk. First, the build quality on this car is incredibly poor. Everything about it. The paint is awful and chips, scratches really easily esp. black. The body panels do not line up well at all and will shift. The top will fade and become difficult to put down, you will get "ears". Headlights fade and fog very easily. The stock suspension is too high and very cheap. Brakes are just ok. Worst of all... the car is slow. Not sports car standards. And it's really not that fun to drive. Remove precats or engine will blow! No joke.

Ton of Fun
By SportsCarGuy on 02/22/09 06:20 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Gets more looks and comments than any other car I've owned. With top down I've carried HDTVs and eight foot tall shrubs! Fast, agile, absolute blast to drive. The later model has better looking front and back lamps but the 01 is essentially the same beast. Most think it's a Porsche but my budget knows what it costs.

Fun with clothes on!
By kaustein on 12/15/07 18:08 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this as a birthday gift from me, to me. Words can't describe the amount of enjoyment driving such a unique car. Handles very well and quick. A real head turner as there are not many of them. 34+ mpg! Again a very fun, affordable, cool car! Mid-engine is very rare on an affordable sports car.

Fun car to own and drive
By Joe on 06/28/07 01:39 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a slightly modified VW GTI for this car and couldn't be happier. I've had this car for almost a year now and will not part with it for a practical car anytime soon. The midengine rwd layout is a blast and stock this car will out handle pretty much anything in its price range and most cars out of it. The interior has everything you need, and there aren't any unnecesary addons, which is perfect. I have the cloth seats which grip very nicely in the turns and having driven my friend's MR2 Spyder with leather seats, I wouldn't trade him for them as those cause you to slide. I recommend this to anyone who wants a fun car and doesn't mind the lack of practicality.

A Refined Car
By theCarman07 on 04/30/07 18:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven Porsches, Lotuses, Ferraris, and once a Maserati, thus I know what it takes to be a good sports car. Overall, the Spyder is my first choice. Why? No, my main reason in not the price, though it helps. The reason is the overall ride and the unique driving experience the Spyder provides. The Spyder puts the Boxster to shame. The interior puts cheaper Lotuses to shame. The exterior provides an aggressive that screams I'm fast. I notice I get a lot less challenges from other drivers on the road, a lot less than my Camaro Z-28. This car is breath taking and gives a pleasurable experience that equals some Ferraris. If you want a sports car buy this one.

I like it.
By BLAiv on 03/29/07 10:02 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 90k miles on it, and haven't had anything beyond normal wear and tear problems. I was only 17 when I got it and now am, partially because of this car, in love with sports cars. The handling is amazing, and I'm not sure there could be a more fun car to drive for a brand-new price of $25,000. In my opinion the same year miata cannot touch this car in looks, and the stats show that goes for the preformance as well. I would recommend this car for any young sports-car-lover with a limited budget such as myself, or anyone who has ~15k to throw into a fun used car.

Why did I wait so long
By jb on 03/02/07 12:04 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was always intrigued by this car but living in the Northeast didn't think it was very practical to buy. What a mistake. I LOVE driving now. Can't wait for spring to fire it up again and hit the road. It is a blast to drive. Its like the go-cart you had as a kid... on steriods! Toyota quality at a great price!

1 2 3 4 5 next »