Used 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Mr2-spyder - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (45 reviews )

Pure fun!
By bretter66

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just love getting drive this little car, it is so Fun! Almost go cart like, good in turns, smooth on the road. Its a little tough to get out of, being a 6 footer, But worth the drive. Great on the gas mileage for a Summer 3rd car that is economical & trendy also rare it's a keeper

Favorite Features

It's a spyder! i have seen 2 others in the 6 months I have had mine. Every one takes a look and wonders what it is. Looks like a Porsche at 1/3 the price. It's a Toyota! parts for engine are easy to fine and it cheap to have work done.

Suggested Improvements

It should have a hook on the bottom so I can hang it on the wall when done driving it. lol it's not full of luggage space, but who cares

Not the best, but better than many
By Mariano

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Although this car has been categorized as "sports", it isn't. It lacks the power to support, "sports". What many people are complaining about I have to agree with as far as easy scratches, "ears" on my top when dropped, and fogged headlights. However, I love the interior of this car as basic and simple as it is. It has what you need, not what you want. That's what I want. Of course it would be ideal if this car was a lexus, but it isn't. I highly recommend to purchase this car used and invest another 3k into a turbo and another 1k into suspension components. I will have spent a total of 11k into this car if I do so with the purchase price; then the car would be phenomenally fast and handling.

Favorite Features

Suspension is tight for stock and nearly 10 years old.

Suggested Improvements

Turbo, Suspension upgrade, Limited Slip Differential. That's it.

Unique Dependability
By The Borg

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I flew to Indiana from Michigan to purchase my 2001 MR-2. I enjoy the tan leather seats and carbon fiber dash appointments. I put on special chrome wheels. Larger set of Toyo's on back and Dual exhaust adapted from existing system. I have had nothing but joy when I drive. I currently have 36,000 miles on it and appreciate the great millage.

Favorite Features

Reliable

Suggested Improvements

I really would like to purchase a hardtop for the car, Europeans have them.

Junk... Save Money and Buy Much Better
By SomeDude

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, I'm going to give the real review on this car. I've always owned some pretty nice sports cars and after 2 years of owning this I can say its pretty much complete junk. First, the build quality on this car is incredibly poor. Everything about it. The paint is awful and chips, scratches really easily esp. black. The body panels do not line up well at all and will shift. The top will fade and become difficult to put down, you will get "ears". Headlights fade and fog very easily. The stock suspension is too high and very cheap. Brakes are just ok. Worst of all... the car is slow. Not sports car standards. And it's really not that fun to drive. Remove precats or engine will blow! No joke.

Favorite Features

Light, only around 2200lb. Stock "shorter" throw shifter. Lots of leg room for such a small junky car. The car has never given me probs so I have no distinct reason to hate it or to vent about anything...it just stinks overall as a sports car. BTW, most attention this car gets is negative.

Suggested Improvements

Looks: Better paint, better fitting/formed body panels. Upgrade suspension, and brace it because it has sloppy Toyota steering. It likes to tramline easily and can be dangerous. Handling is really not good for a sports car. Should've come with at least 160hp... car is slow. Can be annoying to drive.

Ton of Fun
By SportsCarGuy

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Gets more looks and comments than any other car I've owned. With top down I've carried HDTVs and eight foot tall shrubs! Fast, agile, absolute blast to drive. The later model has better looking front and back lamps but the 01 is essentially the same beast. Most think it's a Porsche but my budget knows what it costs.

Favorite Features

Smiles and compliments from friends and total strangers.

Suggested Improvements

None.