2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Consumer Review: Mid Life Crisis Everyday Drive

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible - Consumer Review

Mid Life Crisis Everyday Driver
By ChuckHawley on

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible

The Spyder has always grabbed my attention due to the look of the giant, Euro-styled headlights and it's no-fluff, sports car focus. Sure, it's impractical, with no luggage space to speak of, challenging entry/exit gymnastics, and lots of noise at freeway speeds. What I like is having a car with the maintenance requirements of a Corolla with the handling of a Lotus. My favorite roads are two lane highways where the combination of the excellent 5-speed gearbox, tight steering, and powerful brakes make every outing a joy. While I am quite tall, I have plenty of headroom and legroom, and the seats are comfortable for a two hour drive to the wine country.

Extremely simple pretense; very similar to a 914 or MGB in concept with Toyota engineering and reliability. Excellent gearbox. Small, efficient engine. Comfortable cockpit, except for engine and wind noise. Simple top operation. Classic, no frills interior with good legibility of gauges.

Taller 5th gear for lower revs on freeway. Better contrast on gauge lighting in overcast conditions. Cut-out in front trunk cover for power steering fluid. Symmetrical tires/wheels so tires can be rotated. Clear path to oil fill on engine so funnel not required. Easier oil filter access.