2000 MR-S
By Mark Cookson on
2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible
These cars are excellent. The performance is great, the handling is even better, and you'll never get more looks from people with another car. One thing I do need to warn you about is the pre-catalytic converters for pre- 02's. They are known to go bad and will ruin the engine. The easiest remedy is to simply gut the pre-cats. Its most likely illegal to do but techincally wouldn't make the car fail emissions. It only takes away its LEV rating. I'd much rather lose that than my engine. Another route is to have an engine from 2002 up put in there as they don't seem to be affected. (disclaimer, I assume no liabilty if you gut the pre-cats. its easy to do but requires a bit of work.)
Favorite Features
Performance, handling, covertible, comfortable, reliable, shifting is awesome, etc. With my custom hitch and trailer long trips are very fun. This thing is excellent for the highway because of how it handles. It can get you out of sticky situations very easily.
Suggested Improvements
Gas mileage is good, but not as good as one would think it can be. For a car making the low power it does and being so lightweight you would think it would have in the high 30's or low 40's. I've got 35 mpg so far, which isn't bad at all, I just think it can get a lot better. Mods should help out.