Used 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Mr2-spyder - Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (40 reviews )

Cruising Smoothly!!
By Dee

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible

My Spider belonged to a family member who could not let go! I took over the hot rod and love every single minute with it. It looks and rides like a Porsche just less expensive. It rides like new. I absolutely love it and would love another one. My only complaint is the top. Wished it was automatic and hands free. Other than that I would get another one. Sharp Smart and great on the road! I always get asked what kind of car is that it is HOT!!! I have a midnight blue with black interior. Its a hottie...

Favorite Features

Smoothness, sharp looking, comfortable and fast pick up speed.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic top and more storage space. Other than that more color choices.

A great mid-engine sports car - the MR2
By Robinsonimages

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible

I will most likely keep my MR2 till I can not drive any more. Sure there are better sports cars, bt you can not get a better one for the price and the gas mileage 25-34 mpg

Favorite Features

Out handles most car ever made. Everyone wants to race it. Most people do not know what it is!

Suggested Improvements

More power!

Great roadster
By Leon

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible

Being from the era of the British Sport cars, this is a fine replacement for the Austin Healeys, the MGs and the Triumphs of those days, with the comforts of today.

Favorite Features

The handling, it seems to pickup speed in cornering. The sound system and the styling.

Suggested Improvements

More trunk space.

Perfect in every way.
By dskinner

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible

This vehicle replaced a Mazda Miata, which I loved dearly. After owning the Spyder for less than a week, I forgot all about the Miata! I love everything about the vehicle.

Favorite Features

The handling of the vehicle is phenomenal. It shames 99% of all other vehicles on the road through any corner.

Suggested Improvements

A little more space would be nice, but don't take this as a complaint.

Mid Life Crisis Everyday Driver
By ChuckHawley

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible

The Spyder has always grabbed my attention due to the look of the giant, Euro-styled headlights and it's no-fluff, sports car focus. Sure, it's impractical, with no luggage space to speak of, challenging entry/exit gymnastics, and lots of noise at freeway speeds. What I like is having a car with the maintenance requirements of a Corolla with the handling of a Lotus. My favorite roads are two lane highways where the combination of the excellent 5-speed gearbox, tight steering, and powerful brakes make every outing a joy. While I am quite tall, I have plenty of headroom and legroom, and the seats are comfortable for a two hour drive to the wine country.

Favorite Features

Extremely simple pretense; very similar to a 914 or MGB in concept with Toyota engineering and reliability. Excellent gearbox. Small, efficient engine. Comfortable cockpit, except for engine and wind noise. Simple top operation. Classic, no frills interior with good legibility of gauges.

Suggested Improvements

Taller 5th gear for lower revs on freeway. Better contrast on gauge lighting in overcast conditions. Cut-out in front trunk cover for power steering fluid. Symmetrical tires/wheels so tires can be rotated. Clear path to oil fill on engine so funnel not required. Easier oil filter access.