Used 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Mr2-spyder - Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (40 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Looked great at first
By fredwirt

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible

Car sucks overall. Continuous breakdowns. Cheapo interior surprising since it is a Toyota. So far needed new a/c, antilock brakes failed, wiper motor died, cruise sticks on. In shop 9 times in first 8 months!

2zz swapped spyder review with TRD suspension
By jlevy2

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible

My review may not be a fair one since my spyder is not really close to stock. I've got a 2zz-ge engine and 6 speed from a 2001 Celica-GTS, the factory TRD suspension and bracing, additional under body bracing (breast plate), and much of the suspension rubber replaced with urethane. The car drives great and is my daily driver and has been very reliable, especially for a 14 year old car. Handling is very confident and acceleration with the 2zz engine is good. I've also got the TRD clutch-type LSD which I would not recommend - I would prefer the factory helical LSD option instead.

Favorite Features

Handling is very good, trans ratios are well spaced, it's a joy to drive. It acts like a sports car should. It weighs 2200 pounds - Toyota gets it. I see people claiming their 3600 pound car is a sports car and realize they just don't understand.

Suggested Improvements

It's a true sports car, so the following are not really complaints or suggested improvements, just observations: 1. Ride is not harsh, but is very sporty. It follows every dip in the pavement and you feel everything. 2. The car can be loud with the engine behind your head. Even with an upgraded stereo, it's difficult to appreciate any music while driving, but again, this is a sports car. 3. It can be very unforgiving of poor tire choices (cheap all season tires).

Sloppy steering
By txr

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible

Great looking paper tiger. Clutch is spongy and fights off efforts for quick shifts making for a fast car but a slow takeoff from the line. More horsepower and better exhaust is desperately needed. Steering has bad road feel feedback with a plus/minus 3 degree float. Power steering needs to have less boost. Taking it on a overnight trip - fogeddabotit. You'll need to sleep in what your start out with. Storage for about a 6-pack - without ice. Tires suck - buy new rubber right off the bat.

Favorite Features

Definitely a head turner but that's about it.

Suggested Improvements

More hp, tighter steering, performanace tires.

MR2 SPYDER
By Jim Rosser

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible

The tires on this car are lifeless. How do you expect a consumer to afford $500 annually for a set of tires. The tires on this car are 10,000 to 15,000 mile tires and if you compare this to the national average of miles driven per year, you'll soon see that a set of tires for this vehicle are required annually. If I had none this prior to the sale I'd have purchased a Mazda Miata or paid more and gotten a Honda S2000

Favorite Features

Convertible Top.

Suggested Improvements

More Cargo Space, and better fuel economy.

I loved my car
By Rozbud

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible

This was a great little fun car. Unfortunately I recently was T-boned at over 60mph and it is now totalled. The good news is that I only suffered bruises as a result of how sturdy the car was built. The handling is excellent. Very responsive to the road and never had mechanical problems. Not recommended for people with kids due to very little storage.

Favorite Features

Met people everywhere who would stop and ask me what it was, everyone loved it. I've owned a convertible before but never one that was this much fun.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little more horsepower to match its looks and could definitely use more storage.