2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (40 reviews )
2zz swapped spyder review with TRD suspension
By jlevy2 on 07/05/14 13:52 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible

My review may not be a fair one since my spyder is not really close to stock. I've got a 2zz-ge engine and 6 speed from a 2001 Celica-GTS, the factory TRD suspension and bracing, additional under body bracing (breast plate), and much of the suspension rubber replaced with urethane. The car drives great and is my daily driver and has been very reliable, especially for a 14 year old car. Handling is very confident and acceleration with the 2zz engine is good. I've also got the TRD clutch-type LSD which I would not recommend - I would prefer the factory helical LSD option instead.

Been trying to find an issue.. Can't seem to find one..
By themanindbox on 09/15/12 14:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible

I have been looking for faults.. I honestly cant find any. At 12 years old, the most that has been replaced is Tires, Plugs, A tie Rod End, and the drop links on both sides, and a few sets of bulbs.. That's about it.. Even the original speakers, and stock radio sounds good. The Top makes a little noise at 70+ which i think is just an adjustment. Other then that.. Honestly.. Just awesome!

Sweet, Fun, Great Value!
By mrutz2 on 03/14/11 23:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought this car about a week ago after selling my 96 Cobra because I was tired of paying for 14mpg on premium fuel. I must say that even though it doesn't have the power that I'm used to its still a blast to drive, and you can push this thing hard through corners. When it finally does break loose, which is usually slight understeer surprisingly since it is rear wheel drive, it is easy to regain control. I average about 30mpg even with pushing the MR2 pretty hard a lot of the time. I expected it to get a little bit more attention than it has but owell.. If theres anything this car could use it would be a little more power. But it is still a really fun car to drive!

My mr2 spyder
By ken's spyder on 06/25/10 23:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible

This is a great sport car. Handles like a go cart. Great gas mileage. Most of all it's a Toyota.

Janie's baby
By Janie's baby on 03/31/10 05:51 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought my MR2 for my 50th birthday as I always said that I would have a sports car by the time I was 50. I love my spyder! My only fault is the storage space but never the less I have been amazed at how much I can load into my car when going to the grocery. Everyone still stops to stare at my car. I probably need to sell but have not been able to do so yet. I just hate to give it up! I drove this car to work and back for 8 years and it has been parked for two only driving it when I want to feel special. It has been a joy and delight to drive and own.

Cruising Smoothly!!
By Dee on 09/07/09 13:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible

My Spider belonged to a family member who could not let go! I took over the hot rod and love every single minute with it. It looks and rides like a Porsche just less expensive. It rides like new. I absolutely love it and would love another one. My only complaint is the top. Wished it was automatic and hands free. Other than that I would get another one. Sharp Smart and great on the road! I always get asked what kind of car is that it is HOT!!! I have a midnight blue with black interior. Its a hottie...

A great mid-engine sports car - the MR2
By Robinsonimages on 04/24/08 20:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible

I will most likely keep my MR2 till I can not drive any more. Sure there are better sports cars, bt you can not get a better one for the price and the gas mileage 25-34 mpg

Great roadster
By Leon on 09/30/07 10:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible

Being from the era of the British Sport cars, this is a fine replacement for the Austin Healeys, the MGs and the Triumphs of those days, with the comforts of today.

Perfect in every way.
By dskinner on 05/11/07 11:25 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible

This vehicle replaced a Mazda Miata, which I loved dearly. After owning the Spyder for less than a week, I forgot all about the Miata! I love everything about the vehicle.

Mid Life Crisis Everyday Driver
By ChuckHawley on 01/22/06 12:23 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible

The Spyder has always grabbed my attention due to the look of the giant, Euro-styled headlights and it's no-fluff, sports car focus. Sure, it's impractical, with no luggage space to speak of, challenging entry/exit gymnastics, and lots of noise at freeway speeds. What I like is having a car with the maintenance requirements of a Corolla with the handling of a Lotus. My favorite roads are two lane highways where the combination of the excellent 5-speed gearbox, tight steering, and powerful brakes make every outing a joy. While I am quite tall, I have plenty of headroom and legroom, and the seats are comfortable for a two hour drive to the wine country.