Used 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (40 reviews )

2zz swapped spyder review with TRD suspension
By jlevy2

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible

My review may not be a fair one since my spyder is not really close to stock. I've got a 2zz-ge engine and 6 speed from a 2001 Celica-GTS, the factory TRD suspension and bracing, additional under body bracing (breast plate), and much of the suspension rubber replaced with urethane. The car drives great and is my daily driver and has been very reliable, especially for a 14 year old car. Handling is very confident and acceleration with the 2zz engine is good. I've also got the TRD clutch-type LSD which I would not recommend - I would prefer the factory helical LSD option instead.

Handling is very good, trans ratios are well spaced, it's a joy to drive. It acts like a sports car should. It weighs 2200 pounds - Toyota gets it. I see people claiming their 3600 pound car is a sports car and realize they just don't understand.

It's a true sports car, so the following are not really complaints or suggested improvements, just observations: 1. Ride is not harsh, but is very sporty. It follows every dip in the pavement and you feel everything. 2. The car can be loud with the engine behind your head. Even with an upgraded stereo, it's difficult to appreciate any music while driving, but again, this is a sports car. 3. It can be very unforgiving of poor tire choices (cheap all season tires).

Been trying to find an issue.. Can't seem to find one..
By themanindbox

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible

I have been looking for faults.. I honestly cant find any. At 12 years old, the most that has been replaced is Tires, Plugs, A tie Rod End, and the drop links on both sides, and a few sets of bulbs.. That's about it.. Even the original speakers, and stock radio sounds good. The Top makes a little noise at 70+ which i think is just an adjustment. Other then that.. Honestly.. Just awesome!

*Great MPG i have gotten 40MPG highway *Im over 6'2" tall and fit in there like a glove *The look on the guy's face in the new Porsche Boxter when you are up his butt in the corners.. wishing you had a little more HP to pass him.. *Low Car insurance rates *great in the snow and rain with some all season tires *Good ride without those stupid low profile tires it rides like a camry. *No electric controls, like VSC, TCS, or any other crap. *A true 5-speed Stick with clutch.

Honestly this list is very short.. 1. It could use a little more storage space.. 2. a 6th gear would be great, with that i would imagine that 45-50MPG on the highway would not be an over statement. 3. Cruise Control.. 4. ... Im thinking..

Sweet, Fun, Great Value!
By mrutz2

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought this car about a week ago after selling my 96 Cobra because I was tired of paying for 14mpg on premium fuel. I must say that even though it doesn't have the power that I'm used to its still a blast to drive, and you can push this thing hard through corners. When it finally does break loose, which is usually slight understeer surprisingly since it is rear wheel drive, it is easy to regain control. I average about 30mpg even with pushing the MR2 pretty hard a lot of the time. I expected it to get a little bit more attention than it has but owell.. If theres anything this car could use it would be a little more power. But it is still a really fun car to drive!

Handling, styling, Toyota Reliability, light and small but still plenty of room even at 6' 1"

Should have had the 2zz motor or a turbo from the factory, I will hopefully be doing either to it sometime soon.

My mr2 spyder
By ken's spyder

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible

This is a great sport car. Handles like a go cart. Great gas mileage. Most of all it's a Toyota.

Janie's baby
By Janie's baby

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought my MR2 for my 50th birthday as I always said that I would have a sports car by the time I was 50. I love my spyder! My only fault is the storage space but never the less I have been amazed at how much I can load into my car when going to the grocery. Everyone still stops to stare at my car. I probably need to sell but have not been able to do so yet. I just hate to give it up! I drove this car to work and back for 8 years and it has been parked for two only driving it when I want to feel special. It has been a joy and delight to drive and own.

I love the appearance, when I first bought the car everyone thought it was a Porsche Boxtser. My favorite though is the pick up speed and power of the car. Pulling into busy traffic is a breeze and of course I love the way it handles. I am going to be 60 and still love to speed shift my spyder.

My only complaint is storage space and the car does not have an electric convertible top which can be inconvenient at times. I would also have liked cruise control but since I have rarely taken the car on the interstate or long trips it has not been a real disadvantage.