I like it.
By jimbob_seeker on
2012 Toyota Matrix L 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
2012 Matrix 4speed auto/1.8L bought new. Logged 1,600miles and so far and I like it. Ride is firm but pleasant. If tires are over-inflated, the ride can be harsh Excellent cargo room with the rear seats folded down. Decent acceleration, smooth, stable and quieter than I expected on the freeway. The steering does not provide as much road feel as I would like but it's quite acceptable. On 1st tank of gas I got 28.7 MPG (US) [8.2 L/100Km] driving around the 'burbs'. I noticed an occasional buzzing sound from the interior trim close to the passenger A-pillar. This is only complaint I have so far. With the cooler fall weather, the sound is hardly noticeable Would buy again.
Favorite Features
Fold-flat rear seats for excellent cargo space. Good fuel economy. Comfortable interior cabin. Exterior styling. 1.8Liter engine is a good compromise between performance and fuel economy. Extensive list of "advanced" safety features that I hope I'll never have to use. These include Vehicle Stability and Traction Control, Brake Assist and Smart Stop technology. It's too soon to comment on reliability but if it's anything like my previous Toyota's, it will be very reliable and have a low overall cost of ownership.
Suggested Improvements
Quieter OEM tires. More feeling in steering. Occasional buzzing, vibrations and squeaks from interior trim around the dashboard should be addressed. A 5 speed automatic would be nice even though I find the 4 speed auto to be quite good.
By jimbob_seeker
on 10/05/12 17:31 PM (PDT)

JimBob here, commenting on my own review. With 1,750miles (2,800Km)on the odometer here are my latest fuel economy stats. Combined 63% Highway and 37% City: 32.3 mpg (US gallon), 38.8 mpg (Imperial gallon) 7.28Litres/100Km