Used 2012 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

I like it.
By jimbob_seeker

2012 Toyota Matrix Hatchback L 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

2012 Matrix 4speed auto/1.8L bought new. Logged 1,600miles and so far and I like it. Ride is firm but pleasant. If tires are over-inflated, the ride can be harsh Excellent cargo room with the rear seats folded down. Decent acceleration, smooth, stable and quieter than I expected on the freeway. The steering does not provide as much road feel as I would like but it's quite acceptable. On 1st tank of gas I got 28.7 MPG (US) [8.2 L/100Km] driving around the 'burbs'. I noticed an occasional buzzing sound from the interior trim close to the passenger A-pillar. This is only complaint I have so far. With the cooler fall weather, the sound is hardly noticeable Would buy again.

Favorite Features

Fold-flat rear seats for excellent cargo space. Good fuel economy. Comfortable interior cabin. Exterior styling. 1.8Liter engine is a good compromise between performance and fuel economy. Extensive list of "advanced" safety features that I hope I'll never have to use. These include Vehicle Stability and Traction Control, Brake Assist and Smart Stop technology. It's too soon to comment on reliability but if it's anything like my previous Toyota's, it will be very reliable and have a low overall cost of ownership.

Suggested Improvements

Quieter OEM tires. More feeling in steering. Occasional buzzing, vibrations and squeaks from interior trim around the dashboard should be addressed. A 5 speed automatic would be nice even though I find the 4 speed auto to be quite good.

Maybe not too Thrilling but does the job
By drsuzuki

2012 Toyota Matrix Hatchback L 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Purchase my Matrix in May . Have about 2000km on it now . I am uninspired.... no excitement with this car . I am not saying I am disapointed with the car it seems big enough , sturdy enough, the milage is no screaming hell but acceptable consider i used to drive a one ton ford 5.4l truck. The car is eaisy for large people to get into including the back seat the roof racks haul alot of weight but sit to far back on the car to be really use full you will have a hard time puting on a ski box on the roof with stock racks. Lacks adjustment on the intermittent wipers (no settable delay feature). Interior color is light grey and stains with a touch

Favorite Features

sun roof, interior room, entry and exit ease. handling

Suggested Improvements

great car but needs some excitement under the hood, more durable fabrics peple are purchasing this car to be a small suv or adventure type wagon (remember the old corolla square wagons they could be used for every thing)