Used 2010 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2010 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Sadly disappointed with 2010 Matrix S AWD
By sbuck2010

2010 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Pros: Cute, fun to drive, cool interior controls. Rear bumper can take an impact without breaking. Cons: Terrible. 14 city/ 23 hwy. I've been told to wait until I hit 20,000 miles for it to break in by the toyota dealership. Not okay with me. The car rattles like crazy the second I go above 55mph. The radio volume is no longer speed sensitive. It stopped after about 6 months. Isn't starting properly - I have to hold key for about 5 seconds before it kicks on, otherwise it dies. Just started yesterday. Cloth seats got stained the first day because a bottle of water spilled... no joke. The seats absorb everything. Back seatbelts are made for children. No adult is comfortable.

Favorite Features

Cute looking, I love the shifter, and the cruise control works fabulously.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage needs to be worked on, different interior fabric, different dashboard! That criss-cross pattern collects and holds onto dust!!!

Nice car but some safety issues
By totafan

2010 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This Matrix XR is being driven by a pair of 60plussers involved with elderly care thus requiring transporting elderly person plus wheelchair. This works well due to the relatively high cargo floor and hatchback.

Favorite Features

The 160+ horses make for a quick get-away and effortless ride over the mountain passes.

Suggested Improvements

Hair-trigger gas pedal makes parking in tight spaces a bit nerve racking. A minute motion of the pedal from the idle stop applies already too much power. A more non-linear response(programming?) would be very welcome. I wonder of all those gas pedal problems are partly caused by this issue. A more serious problem is a large blind spot created by the passenger side mirror+stile+high belt line. Repositioning/restyling of the mirror will certainly prevent a few accidents.

Honda lost me
By Anonymous

2010 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Been driving a civic hybrid for five years. My local Honda dealer's service was great. Went back. Drove the CR-V and crz. Didn't like either one. Decided to go look at the toyz. Found just the right compromise with for and the boss (wife) in the matrix. I got my SUV. She got her sports car. It's early but we both love it. If you're looking for a great priced mid-sized SUV you gotta check the matrix out.

Awesome SUV alternative coming from Jeep
By Anonymous

2010 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have been driving small to mid size SUV from Nissan, Toyota, and Jeep brand. However gas was just killing my wallet driving SUV. So i sold my gas guzzler to get a new car and I got the 2010 Toyota Matrix S AWD with sports pkg and alloy wheels. On conservative driving i get a combined MPG of 24, and on aggressive driving i get around 21 which are within spec. Lots of power with the 2.4 L engine with VVT-i system just like the lexus with torque on demand without lag. Powerband is most part linear with lots more room to go up. Reliability has been good with steep discounts and complimentary free maintenance given by the dealer for 2 years. This car definitely saving me money

Favorite Features

Driver seat height adjustable, and telescoping steering wheel. Huge rear passenger leg room, and cargo space. Also the sun dance metallic color. Definitely get a 3M film for this car for sure which I have

Suggested Improvements

Interior plastic build quality needs some improvement and paint chips too easily which needs the 3M film protector however, it is not as bad as Subaru paint.

Minor Issues
By Kibbles00

2010 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car but I have some minor complaints. On cold days, the fog on the front window is terrible. Water is retained on side windows so you cannot see out. There is also no place to put a drink in the center. I spilled so many drinks.

Favorite Features

The smooth drive and this is my third matrix. Reliability. Great to haul things in.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the fog problem and way moisture does not stay near the side windows. Improve the console for placing drinks. Better gas mileage.