Fun to drive, some utility, good on gas
By Steve on
2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)
1800 miles so far. Fun to drive. Feels like a sports car. Great for utility. Only slightly smaller in back than my 4runner. 2.4L engine is great but reduces mpg. I get 30 highway. 35 would be more to my liking. It's worth it to me so far though. 5-speed manual is fun but needs one more gear on the high end. A 6th speed (extra overdrive) is what it really needs. That would gain a few mpg and reduce revs on highway. This engine could handle it. Gas pedal seems to be on wrong angle for me (6' and slim). Right foot hurts if I drive highway too long. Always get a nice greeting when people see it, esp younger. It is a slick looking car. Clutch was jumpy for first 1000 miles, ok now.
Favorite Features
Fun to drive, 2.4L engine, nice utility space, not bad on gas, reasonably priced.
Suggested Improvements
Matrix is geared down vs corolla but an extra overdrive gear would be perfect. Do something about tall drivers comfort of right foot on gas pedal. Maybe better angle? Maybe more tension on gas pedal spring? I put an extra spring on mine and it does seem to help.