Toyota onslaught of Service Bulletins
By matrix1_8l on
2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
I bought this car originally because I wanted to replace my old hatchback with something reliable and fuel efficient. So I went for the 1.8L up until now I had gotten what I paid for. The issues started when I went hit the 50000 mile mark. Since then I have been to the dealership service center over 5 times for major repairs. All of which are documented in Service Bulletins. The latest issue affects all matrix and corollas with the 1.8L engine and will not be covered after the 60000 mile warranty runs out. They actually have to go in, take apart the engine and replace engine components of the crankshaft assembly. That doesn't seem reliable to me.
Favorite Features
I personally like the sound system and fold-flat back seats. The car has a spacious interior and a sleek look on the outside.
Suggested Improvements
The clutch on the manual transmission can be temperamental. I've had the car turn off on me various times when accelerating from a stopped position. There have also been times when the reverse has not engaged properly even when the car is fully stopped and the clutch is fully pressed in.