2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Pratical yet fun
By Toyotalover4eva on 07/07/08 09:52 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I recently traded in my 04 4runner sport for this car. During my car hunt, my biggest concern was the mpg so, I searched for a gas saver but didn't want to sacrifice looks and performance. I ended up with two choices, the jetta wolfsburg and the matrix. I ended up with the matrix given it was more reliable, cheaper on insurance and not too pricey to maintain. Overall I am satisfied with my decision. The looks are awesome both inside and out. I'm kinda disappointed with such a small fuel tank. I mean, I'm saving gas but finding myself filling up more often. I also think the ride is so-so. I don't know if it's just me but I feel every bump on the road which can get annoying but I can deal with it

Fun econo car with extras
By fingerstyle22 on 06/23/08 09:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Downsized from an 02 Ford Explorer. Off the bat, the 09 Matrix has greatly exceeded my expectations. First off, I ordered the car with extras: leather seats, 'darker' tinted windows, backup sensor, Perma Plate protectant. Uniquely original design for '09: dramatic outlines all around; SUV to CUV/stationwagon functionality. However, with 17" tires, VSC, AWD, 2.4 liter 158hp engine and 162lb feet torque (double cams), electronic steering, the car slices easily through traffic, and corners like butter. Handles road bumps with a rock solid chassis. Excellent fuel at 20/26 variable plus or minus 3 mpg either way. 5 Star metallic paint! "Black Sand Pearl".

Matrix fun to drive
By Jules on 06/19/08 22:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

A fun car to drive. Nice power for the vehicle and handles very well. Good gas mileage. I like the sporty look and feel to the vehicle.

Great vehicle
By Garrett Hughes on 06/16/08 08:26 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased just this week, sorry I cannot tell how good the fuel efficiency is yet. Purchased the AWD due to northeast driving conditions and because it handles like a go-cart! Steel wheels offer better ride than 17" alloys. "road noise" mentioned by others is the AWD, they are all a little noisy. Interior design is ergonomic, S model offers nice perks for little than $15k more. Recommend mudflaps and rear bumper protector (hatch step). I am 6' tall 220 lbs and with the telescopic column and adjustable manual seat I fit comfortably, arm rest could be 4" longer. Great pickup, car cruzes at 80 MPH without too much noise, stock radio is fantastic. 115V outlet is very cool for lap top charge.

My First car, and it's AWESOME!
By Chris on 06/14/08 11:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I recently baught a brand new Toyota Matrix XR, and I have never been more impressed with a car then I am with this. The 2.4L engine is smooth and powerful, providing loads of passing and acceleration power. The interior and exterior are impressive, the exterior being sleek and sexy while the interior being easy on the eye and inviting. I've averaged 30+ mpg in mostly city driving. The steering is a tad numb, but that doesn't bother me as everything else about the car is totally amazing. The biggest selling point for me, being 6 feet tall and long in the leg,is that I can sit comfortably in the car thanks to vertical height adjustment for the driver's seat and a telescoping steering wheel.

Love this car!
By Toyota lover on 06/12/08 17:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Oh my I love this car! It is peppy when passing other cars, who needs the 2.4 ltr, sacrificing the gas mileage is not worth it. Gas mileage so far is about 32mpg and that doesn't include any highway. The handling is amazing and it runs really quiet, hardly any road noise at all! Sound system is nice and the interior is positioned very well. The back seat is adult friendly and you can pack a ton of stuff into the back when the seats are down. This car is great, the best one we could have chosen for sure. There is nothing bad about it so far! Buy one, you'll love it!

Highly Recommend the Matrix
By Brian on 06/09/08 08:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We got this as a combination commuter and cargo hauler (for small jobs for catering & food business, deliveries). We use it in place of the van when appropriate. The back seats fold down COMPLETELY flat, allowing for secure storage w/o spilling sauces, etc. There is an incredible amount of interior space, especially given it's relatively small exterior size. The car (base model 1.8L) has plenty of power. No need to get the larger engine unless you like to really zip around. We get around 28 mpg (city/hwy. combined), much better than 14 mpg for the van.

Young look, old reliable toyota
By Bill on 06/03/08 20:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a gas guzzling Trailblazer for this useful utility wagon. No complaint thus far and I'm loving the sportiness relative to the big clunker.

A great family car!
By Anna on 06/03/08 20:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was looking for a combination of best gas mileage, reliability, cargo space, practicality and a sporty look. I have to be able to see myself still driving this vehicle over 8 years from now since this is a long term investment for me. I had a great purchase experience from the dealer, which is sometimes hard to believe from experience, but they were very helpful. I am 5'2 and the flexibility of moving the driver seat higher is a plus. It's easy to maneuver and getting the kids in and out of the car is so easy. Plenty of cargo space for a stroller, grocery bags and kids sport stuff. I am so proud of this car's practicality mixed with sportiness appeal. Thank you Toyota

Great commuter car
By matrixgirl09 on 05/26/08 09:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Good gas mileage. Sits higher than other cars but if you come from an SUV then you'll like it. Heated side mirrors are great for the ice/snow. Plenty of room inside. Visibility is ok, better than other small cars. Engine is good enough even though its a base model. I am small enough that it turns the airbag off when I get in, so that is a nice safety feature. Very little noise and vibration.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback in NJ is:

$183 per month*