2009 Toyota Matrix Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2009 Matrix Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Sort Reviews by

Reflects the Driver...
By Jack Rabbit

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Being an Admirer of the Prius and the fact that there's a waiting list for one, I browsed the lot at the dealership I went to and I could not get over the awesome body style and "unusual" paint job (sunburst metallic). The thought of another six year car payment was dreaded but I'd moved from a 30 minute commute to and from work a day to a 65 minute one and I needed better gas mileage and a warranty so I decided to "bite the bullet" and managed to leave with a manual 09 Matrix S. Not for one moment do I regret it!!! The gas mileage is incredible (compared to my 01 Chevy Cavalier), It's very "giddy" in the speed department, Very maneuverable on the road and comfortable to drive...

Favorite Features

The sleek, sporty body style and color

Suggested Improvements

Absolutely none

Trucker for life converted
By smeg

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I was looking to downsize from my Tacoma since gas is so expensive and I went to look at Scions when the sport Matrix jumped out at me at the dealership. I never wanted to drive anything but a truck but this little car is really growing on me. The city gas mpg is so so but its a huge improvement from what I had, also I've already been camping in it and not only did it fit all mine and my GF's gear, we still had plenty of room for my 70lb lab to be comfortable and we got 30 mpg most of the trip. I like the re-design of the 09s over the older models, especially the aggressive front end. This certainly isn't my dream vehicle but I defiantly don't regret the purchase.

Favorite Features

MP3 jack is nice and the Bluetooth is really cool. Most of all I like the cargo room it has for such a small feeling car. My dog goes everywhere with me and it has held us both very comfortably.

Suggested Improvements

Not too much to complain about except that I wish it had an A/C vent in the backseat because although were nice and cool in the front seat the dog is a little warm back there and for a few months during the summer sometimes rolling the windows down doesn't cool her off as quick as I would like.

Vibration Issue
By Burrito

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Matrix has been a fun car to drive and I have enjoyed it greatly over the 2006 Corolla I traded in. I don't enjoy the 35 MPG that I did with the Corolla, but I have been averaging about 27. The car has pep as I easily find myself doing 80 in a 45 without noticing. I have been experiencing a vibration on the light console above the gear selector (Map Console?). The vibrations occur only when the sun is low or set, but will start even on a smooth road. I am chalking it up to thermal expansion of the roof when it is in the sun. Has anyone else experienced this? I can not get Toyota to fix because alas, the service department is not open when it is dark out.

Favorite Features

I have the stereo controls on the wheel and blue tooth hands free for my phone which suites my lifestyle.

Suggested Improvements

Cargo net should come standard.

Great car for a great price!
By Mom of 2

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We sold our Honda Odyssey because it was getting terrible gas mileage. I decided to test-drive a Matrix as several others I know have a Matrix. I LOVE IT! The only complaint is the paint job seems kind of poor and scratches v. easily (silver is my color). But so long as it get 32 mpg and is dependable that's all I need! Great little car and fits me, my 6-year old twins and our 2 dogs just fine! I would not hesitate to buy one! Love the hatch-back too. Very sporty and fun to drive (I have the basic 1.8 ltr/automatic).

Favorite Features

Hatchback & cargo space is wonderful. Fabric seats easy to clean. It's way fun to drive. Safety ratings very good.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint job next time guys. Otherwise, no complaints at this price!

A Fun Vehicle to Drive
By JDAWG13

2009 Toyota Matrix XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've only had the car for a week but I love it. It's a fun little car that has guts when needed. When you need to pass on the highway it has enough power to immediately accelerate. When you have that ability it equates into peace of mind.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth handsfree connectivity.

Suggested Improvements

A full sized spare would be nice. I hate doughnut tires.

Great gas
By k-man

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my Toyota Tacoma because of the gas prices & because I drive 80 miles a day. I'm getting 35 miles to the gallon highway. It's unbelievable. Of course I had slowed my driving down to 65 to 70 miles & hour & filled my tires to 35 lbs. But to get a pretty good looking car w/ 1.8L engine & fun to drive @ the same time get good gas mileage, what else can you say. Nothing.

Favorite Features

Interior, aux outlet, radio

Suggested Improvements

Should come standard with alloy rims for the cost of the car. Car does sway when driving on freeway.

Good Car
By twocruzin

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Have had the car for four months now and it's working out very nice. It now has over 7k miles on it and we just got back from a 4k trip. Gas mileage on the trip ranged from 27 on very hilly interstate to over 33 on flat interstate all with A/C on. At home we consistently get 30 to 32. We like the higher profile of the car and the ease of getting in and out. The headrests are a problem for short people (5') as we've had to turn one around to accommodate my wife otherwise it pushes into her head. We don't care for the low profile tires as they ride rather hard on the country roads where we live if inflated to recommended pressure (32 psi). They're better at 30. Like the 17" wheels though.

Favorite Features

Multiple height adjustment for driver's seat. Power from the 2.4 engine and the gas mileage. Better than the EPA sticker. Cargo room even with back seats up. Held a lot on our trip. XM radio is great. Mudguards and cargo mat purchased as accessories, but well worth it.

Suggested Improvements

Make headrests with tilt adjustment forward and back (like my Camry has). Provide cargo mat for rear area (ended up buying it to keep things from sliding around on the plastic floor).

Fun to drive, some utility, good on gas
By Steve

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

1800 miles so far. Fun to drive. Feels like a sports car. Great for utility. Only slightly smaller in back than my 4runner. 2.4L engine is great but reduces mpg. I get 30 highway. 35 would be more to my liking. It's worth it to me so far though. 5-speed manual is fun but needs one more gear on the high end. A 6th speed (extra overdrive) is what it really needs. That would gain a few mpg and reduce revs on highway. This engine could handle it. Gas pedal seems to be on wrong angle for me (6' and slim). Right foot hurts if I drive highway too long. Always get a nice greeting when people see it, esp younger. It is a slick looking car. Clutch was jumpy for first 1000 miles, ok now.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, 2.4L engine, nice utility space, not bad on gas, reasonably priced.

Suggested Improvements

Matrix is geared down vs corolla but an extra overdrive gear would be perfect. Do something about tall drivers comfort of right foot on gas pedal. Maybe better angle? Maybe more tension on gas pedal spring? I put an extra spring on mine and it does seem to help.

A big step up.
By gabagooo

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I traded my 2007 Yaris HB in on the Matrix. As a city car, the Yaris was great, but as a roadmaster, not so good. I test drove a Rabbit, which felt small compared to the Matrix, which seems bulk. The car has a heavy feel and is very comfortable on long drives. I am getting 29.5 mpg highway and 20 mpg city - exactly as advertised. The Matrix offers a lot of value for the money and I am pleased with my purchase. Compared to the Yaris, this car feels very solid and safe.

Favorite Features

The AWD system, trunk tie-downs, tilt/telescopic wheel, ABS, traction control, side airbags. The very smooth 2.4L engine.

Suggested Improvements

At this price point alloy wheels should be standard. The car has several blind spots in the rear and in the rear, which I didn't notice during the test drive.

Finally!
By annette

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I didn't know the Matrix existed. I hated the car I was driving, so I went to the Toyota place to look at Scion, but saw the Matrix in the showroom. I was hooked. I love the dropdown seats and the fact that they are flat. The seats are comfy and everything on the dash is easy to get to. The doors don't close on my legs, large and roomy.

Favorite Features

The seats, fun to drive, the hatchback

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo for the S model.