2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Great car
By Chhatric on 12/11/08 09:51 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Had it for over a month and I am enjoying driving it. The car has good power and very smooth. I like the styling of the 09 Matrix and the interior is very well designed. Hopefully it will last me for years to come.

Love Matrix 2, 1.8 touring 5 sp manual
By Robtech on 11/23/08 09:35 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This 2nd generation has better roadholding, there's no front wheel spin, it really holds the road well especially when climbing. I got 32mpg in mixed driving. Noticeable low end torque between 1900rpm to 2800rpm. I love this 2ZRFE 1.8L engine.

Mixed Feelings
By Kathleen on 11/19/08 05:10 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 09 in July and already have over 9000 miles on it. Gas mileage, the main reason I bought it, is GREAT. It drives well too. I am upset with the Dealer market $ add-on and having to add all the extras, too. I added cruise control, leather, tinted windows, tow hitch, up graded rear view mirror, up graded radio. I wanted power seats, but they weren't available. I think Toyota needs to improve the quality and comfort.

awesome car !!
By barbara on 11/05/08 10:07 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just got the AWD Matrix yesterday. I love it !! I am down sizing from a Toyota 4 Runner. It's fun and easy to drive. As fast as a bullet ! I got the radiant red loaded one. I have never had so much fun driving a car. I am 47 years old.

Mixed
By ed on 10/19/08 16:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I suspect engine, and starting reliability will be there, but I've got mixed feelings on build quality from a Toyota product, as all 4 doors sound differently when you close them, and passenger sounds like it's going to break. 20 mile commute is comfortable and all-wheel drive adds to the handling, fuel tank could be larger, and rear blind spots need attention.

Not as good as I thought it would be
By greenplant on 10/17/08 11:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Gets great gas mileage (avg 33 mpg in mixed driving), comfortable, easy to get in and out, plenty of power in the base model AT, but fit and finish is horrible, rattles in several places, exterior paint chips all over the front (I say paint is bubbling, dealer says road debris), if that's the case, the design is poor, it looks good, but the paint will be destroyed by simple everyday driving. This has never occurred with other cars I've owned and driven on the very same roads.

Love my Matrix XRS
By hlnkid on 10/11/08 16:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2009 Matrix XRS 3 weeks ago, downsizing from a Highlander. I absolutely love it! XRS model comes with 18" wheels, that roughen the ride a tiny bit, but they handle beautifully, esp around turns. Great sporty look and feel. XRS comes standard with rear spoiler, helping to give the car a bit more ump to it's looks. Good interior room, easy controls. A few small blind spots in rear, but easy to get used to. I'm not at all disappointed with my purchase. I'd highly recommend the 2009 Matrix to anyone looking for a solid smaller car with great handling, good gas mileage and one that's fun to drive!

I love my car!!
By I LOVE MY CAR on 10/02/08 20:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After driving a Chrysler 300 for 2 years and filling gas up everyday I decided that I wanted a smaller car. I finally found the 2009 Matrix! After my test drive I was in love! The matrix interior was super comfortable and everything seem to be perfectly designed for the driver. The look is great and drives super smooth! I could have not asked for a better car!

Two Months now
By JC on 10/01/08 21:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I brought this after having a Toyota Camry wagon for years, and a Subaru Outback for past 7 years. In two months I have put only 1500 on it. I love this car, got 34 with NO AC on a longer trip, getting 20-22 around town. Both above EPA estimates for this 2.4 auto. Love the handling and pep, the styling is distinctive and attractive, many compliments. On the practical side, hey I never buy a vehicle I can't sleep in, and this is no exception with lots of room, love the folding FPassenger seat. Roofrack is study for bike. Its a sporty hatchback/small wagon, and a welcome change from poor mileage with Subaru AWD, which I do not need in Central Virginia.

Matrix doesn't disappoint
By greg on 09/18/08 07:36 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The Matrix replaced a 2001 Dodge minivan. We hoped to retain cargo flexibility, improve gas mileage, vehicle handling and reliability. With care in packing, the Matrix had ample camping room using a 10 c.f. soft carrier pack on the roof. Skis can be stored inside or on top. Gas mileage has averaged 30 mpg combined; 32 mpg- highway. The car is quiet, steering responsive, holds the road, suspension somewhat stiff, solid feel overall. For its weight, engine, and transmission combination, acceleration is quite good. Seating is comfortable with ample back seat room. The more I drive it, the more I appreciate its subtle qualities. A car to buy for long term value and not for instant gratification

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback in VA is:

$106 per month*