2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Poor Fit and Finish
By Ed on 01/28/09 13:12 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I had a Sienna before this Matrix. The Sienna was the best vehicle I ever owned. I can't say the same for the Matrix. The first 6,000 miles were great, no problems. Then it got cold and the noises started. There was an air leak on the driver's window, the dash made noises, and it sounded like the windshield is going to fall out. Finally, the strut on the hatch failed. The dealer could not fix anything and they even made the problems worse. Toyota said they could not make the dealer fix the car, so now I have to make a several hour trip to get the car fixed somewhere else. I wish I would have bought a Honda!

Love it!
By Love it on 01/26/09 09:06 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

From a woman point of view I love the car! I like the way it looks. But my husband has enjoyed it also. The interior space is surprisingly big; I mean, I knew everybody talks about the cargo space, but as a passenger you do have lots of room to play with. It has a nice turn to it, it is a smooth drive.

Overall great, fun car
By Nectars1 on 01/22/09 13:12 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car just before winter and so far I love it. It's so much fun to drive, it's sporty without paying for a sports car. It handles very well in the snow as well. I definitely think it hits bumps pretty hard but that's really my only complaint. It's extremely smooth and easy to shift between gears. I think it's a great car for the money. It's backed by the Toyota reputation!

solid little car
By Martin Hanish on 01/20/09 13:35 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our Matrix early in January and have already put a few thousand miles on it. the conditions here in Maine have been tough - lots of snow, ice, temperatures down near zero. The Matrix has performed extremely well under all conditions. It is a safe, dependable little car.

2009 Matrix S
By Mike Vukich on 01/19/09 20:50 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Great car! But I've always known Toyota made excellent vehicles. This is my 3rd one. Quiet, smooth ride. No maintenance worries. We just had a stretch of sub-zero weather. My matrix started right up; maybe a few extra cranks of the starter. I highly recommend this vehicle.

Awesome Car
By S on 01/19/09 10:19 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased to replace Chevy Blazer. I really love this car. Very fast for what you would expect. I am normally very nervous driving in snow but the Matrix handles extremely well. I have not even fishtailed once this season.I would recommend this to anyone.

2009 Matrix S not great in winter
By Springleaf on 12/30/08 08:13 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I used to own a Chevy Blazer that was lucky to make 11 miles to the gallon at sale. Now I have a highly responsive 2.4L 2009 Toyota Matrix S Auto. I'm liking the option of shifting manual, especially when shifting down. It's a smooth ride on smooth pavement, but hit a bump and the whole car jumps (ka-wump). Hit some ice recently and the car kept going, ABS worked, tires didn't. At least I didn't spin around like the guy in front of me. Like a controlled slip. I recommend practicing driving on ice away from traffic first. Bottom line, not thrilled, would trade it in if I could find something better without paying more after trade-in. Would probably keep it if it never snowed.

Great for snow
By bigislandboy99 on 12/25/08 14:29 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've been waiting to test the AWD and I finally got my wish! Snows and compact ice has been all around the renton are for the past two weeks. This matrix AWD S has had no problems getting around. It is very controllable and predictable, even with a foot of snow with the standard AWD. Car is great in normal weather as well. Its great for hauling people around and lots of room for a "compact" vehicle. Road noise can be pretty bad, especially on the rough free ways in Seattle. The gas mileage could be a little better and/or a little large gas tank. Overall very pleased and glad i got it for this region.

Very impressed
By irene on 12/12/08 21:18 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Downsized from a Buick Century for economical reasons and am very pleased. The comfort & handling of the Matrix is beyond what I thought it would be. I am very satisfied with the 1.8L engine, it's enough for what I need, it has enough pick-up for passing, etc. Responds very nicely, turns tight corners, easy to park. Loved the colour choices... we picked charcoal gray.

Love it
By mvw on 12/11/08 11:44 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the 2009 Matrix S a month ago with 10K on it. I love it so far. We traded in 2003 Kia spectra LS, and felt the Kia’s interior is built better with better materials. Some of the interior rattles and feels like cheap plastic. The engine of the 2.4 has great pick up. I am concerned about the paint on the car, it appears to chip fairly easy. This is the first Toyota I have owned so I do not have much to compare it to.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.