Used 2009 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Disappointed
By matrixok

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Paint chips all over. Will have to have it repainted. Blind spot in the back. Gas mileage is good. Had tire blow out and had to replace 2 tires and rims. This was due to something the dealer did but as another review said the dealers do not own up to anything. On 3rd radio. Transmission seems to be slipping. Interior is hard to keep clean

style, roomy, handling

Blind spot, paint used, tire change for a better ride, honest dealers.

Worst and Last Toyota I will ever own
By Disillusioned

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the absolute worst car I have ever owned in my life, even worse than the used clunkers I drove when I was young and had no money. I have previously owned two Toyotas, which I absolutely loved (Corolla SR5 and an MR2). In this case, the third time is definitely not a charm. The car has no power, does not shift smoothly, the rear visibility is terrible, and the defrost leaves a lot to be desired. It is too bad that Toyota does not offer the same deal that General Motors does (i.e., give it back in 60 days if you are not satisfied), otherwise, this car would have been brought back in a heartbeat. Please run, don't walk, if someone tries to sell you a Matrix.

Gas mileage.

Too numerous to mention.

Mad
By mary

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Matrix because I heard Toyota was a great car. I owned my Matrix for a month when I noticed paint chips on the hood, roof & back bumper. Took it to the dealership, they had the hood redone & touched up the roof & the bumper. That upset me. I thought it should have been repainted. Mind you I spent the extra 2000 & for the protective coating. One month later it's chipping on the hood & roof again. They sent me to the gentleman who repainted & touched it up the first time. I don't believe it's his fault. They should be dealing with it.

I do like the way it drives.

Paint needs big time improvement. Seats not so comfy & they stain easy. I have the protective product on them to.

Owned for over one year
By gthumb

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car drives very easily, however the fit and finish is horrible, rattles since day one, tire issue within 1st 3 mos. Toyota service awful, seems very cheap, not worth the price, poor paint quality, paint is chipping off the hood, design looks nice, but the front end needs a redesign to prevent the damage done to it from simple everyday driving.

Steering is very easy, good gas mileage (ave. 33mpg).

Better front end design, ipod connection standard, better fit and finish, better quality paint, better Toyota service (nothing is ever their fault).

A nice small hatchback.
By Anthony in Charlotte

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I needed an economical, affordable, and reliable car for around town and to commute to work in. The Matrix fits what I need exactly, it's big enough for a child seat in the back seat, has the versatility of a "mini" SUV, is pretty stylish, and is actually fun (enough) to drive every day. The 1.8L with 5 speed won't win any races, but is surprisingly smooth and refined, especially on the highway. I know a lot of reviews on the new Matrix are filled with critics, but I really think it's a great little car for what it tries to be. Our other car is a Lexus, and our 3rd Lexus - the Matrix gauges have the same feel of the new IS, really. Give the Matrix a shot, I'm glad I didn't buy a Civic.

Fuel economy, front styling, practical.

Alloy wheels on base model, better base sound system.