2009 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
An Update
By twocruzin on 05/13/09 19:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is an update to a previous review. I have had this car for 14 months now and 17000 miles. It still runs as flawlessly as when I bought it and the ride is still as harsh as it was at the beginning. It rides okay on highways or the interstate, but it's quite rough on less than ideal city streets. The suspension is quite hard. I mean the car barely moves when I push on the front bumper. I have not had the paint chip problem that many reviewers comment on. I have metallic paint on mine. I'm not sure if all models do, but my experience has been that metallic paint holds up much better. Other than the ride, everything has been good - build quality, handling, appearance.

Great car and deal!
By Chuck on 04/30/09 22:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this car and I am really enjoying driving and looking at it! I love the position of the stick and it is so much fun to shift. I thought I wanted the bigger engine but I find the 1.8 plenty of power. It is a great combination of fun, practicality and economy. You can't beat the deals Toyota is offering now. Way below invoice! Shop around if you can't get it. Great for driving the roads of the Wine County in Sonoma County. Come visit!

So far liking it.
By Nolan on 04/26/09 09:14 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Wanted a 4-door hatchback that got good gas mileage, was comfortable to ride in all day and had a good price. So far this car has pretty much fit the bill. We have 5,800 miles on it in 4 months. We are averaging 35 mpg. 75% interstate, 15% two lane roads and 10% city. Like that you sit up higher so getting in and out is easier. Did have some problems with paint chips on the hood until I installed a bug deflector on the front of it. On rough roads there is a lot of road noise that you can hear inside the car. Needs more insulation. Have a few rattles when on rough roads. I dislike the sound system.

S AWD
By Steven on 04/15/09 23:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Driving experience is fun for a crossover AWD vehicle. Ride is fairly smooth and build quality seems good other than a crackle and pop here and there. The car has ample power for a 158 hp 4 cylinder with all wheel drive, especially when driven in 3rd. Has plenty of room in it and versatility. The car has good looks inside and out, and definitely doesn't blend in with the ugly looks of some of it's competitors. The dash layout is very nice and sporty looking, and is easy on the eyes.

Continue to be impressed
By SoCalMatrix on 03/28/09 19:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Matrix for almost nine months and my affection for it continues to grow. The Matrix is great for former SUV owners (such as myself) - it sits higher than your average sedan, and has a surprising amount of space. My first test drive sold me, as I found I had plenty of arm room and didn't feel cramped at all (unlike my test drive of a Mini Cooper, which felt almost cartoonish). But what really sold me is the styling - what a great looking car! My only disappointment is city MPG. Most of my driving is in stop-and-go city traffic, and I only get about 22 MPG. I chose the base model for fuel efficiency, but that aspect of the car has been slightly disappointing.

2009 Matrix Air Bags Didn't Deploy
By jeannie on 03/18/09 04:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Just wanted everyone to know that in regards to collisions and air bags, Toyota may not be the safest way to go. I just had a full frontal car accident, where the air bags did not deploy. The impact was received at at least 35 mph and not one air bag deployed. I was able to walk away from the accident with minor pain, the car did not. Rescue crew was puzzled on why the airbags did not deploy. Just glad I was the only one in the car and the kiddies weren't there.

Did i make a mistake?
By Terry on 03/17/09 11:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my Matrix XR in May, 2008. I think the vehicle is comfortable, fun to drive and gets good gas mileage. Love the look of the vehicle as well. However, everything was fine until about 25,000 km. The alignment needed adjusting, windshield has a air leak somewhere, and the dash board also squeaks really bad when its cold. It's quite annoying. Had it in the dealership and they agreed something was wrong with the windshield. They removed the windshield and then replaced the seal. Noise is still there. My radio failed. New one on order. Hate the way the rain leaves marks on the interior of the seats.

Good looks, poor ride
By lizstx on 02/28/09 22:14 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We've nicknamed our Matrix the "covered wagon" because of how horrendous the ride is. Every bump, pot hole, and dip is magnified many times over by the fact that the "sporty suspension" makes this car feel like it has no shocks whatsoever. It's loud, rough, and we regret the day we bought it. Spare yourself the pain and pass this one by.

AWD Lacks Good MPG
By Gabagooo on 02/27/09 13:03 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had the AWD Matrix since July 2008 and overall, I like the car. The AWD system has been very nice to have this winter, but at a high cost. I am averaging just 22 MPG on the highway, which is lower than expected. Next time i am in the dealership I am going to have them check for problems. Also, on very long drives, the seats can become a bit uncomfortable. When the car is wet, water from the roof spills onto the rear seat when you open the back doors.

A Mommy Car
By Mommy on 02/13/09 04:59 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great alternative to a big SUV. It has all the room I need to haul all my baby gear and it has the built in car seat hooks. I swore I'd never drive anything but a Honda. After my test drive, my mind changed. I find the seats are more comfortable and I love the hatchback- it's better than a trunk.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Matrix in WA is:

$134 per month*