Used 2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Literally feel every bump on the Road
By my2009toyotamatrix

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

In 2009 Toyota came out with a new sharp style Matrix with powerfully 2.4 engine instead of 1.8 . So I bought it after what I thought was a long test drive. After having it for a while It started bugging me with the road noise driving literally any where. Road noise and bumpy ride is finally starting to drive me nuts. It has those showy 17 inch rims with hardly any tire meat on them to absorb simple roads conditions. It looks like 2 inches thick makes a really terrible bumpy ride. Now I am stuck with a $20,000 car that looks cool but rides like a milk truck. They made the disk brakes so big you cant change it for a smooth ride, I better trade it in before word gets out. This car is done.

looks

I want 15" to get a smooth ride, they said you can only go to 16 inch because the calibers and rotors are huge you cant go to 15 inch it didn't clear the caliber brake system it got stuck no clearance at all. Bummer and 16 aren't going to do much for a better ride because its only another inch more

Very happy with this car
By snowman

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am very impressed with Matrix and the versatility it offers. There is plenty of room in the back, especially if the seats are folded down. It is zippy and handles very well on the road. I agree that the visibility out the back is a bit limited, and I am also under the impression the paint may be prone to chipping. I also like the higher seating position as it makes getting into and out of the vehicle much easier. No issues after two long trips, and I don't believe it is any noisier on the highway than most other cars.

Fun to drive, plenty of pickup, good seating position, intuitive dashboard.

Perhaps fuel economy, but I'd hate to sacrifice that extra zip.

Great Car
By Happy Matrix Owner

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This car has been excellent in all ways. Very dependable, quiet and comfortable. Yes, a bit of a blind spot, but if you know about it, them you adjust the mirrors and compensate for it. Surprising amount of room for both passengers and for hauling stuff. Tinted the windows and it looks nice and sporty.

Ease of driving and dependability.

Good so far
By Pleased so far

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for a year now and have put 10,000 miles on it. I have been pleased so far. Paid $16,500 for base model with auto, air and power windows. Getting over 30 MPG in mixed highway/city driving. Keeping between 60-65 I can get about 38mpg on the highway. With the back seats down and the front seats up, a twin size air mattress will fit in back. The back seats have plenty of room for 2 adults. Handles relatively well in the snow. Despite all the news about recalls I've had no problems with quality so far.

Flat folding back seats. Good city driving fuel economy.

Flat folding front seat on base model.

i like it
By dragon

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

taken on 3 long trips over 300 miles each never had any problems w/noise or anything else i find it a joy to drive and still get great mileage approx 28 in town

the headroom as a woman over 6 ft it makes it wonderful to take on trips and not be uncomfortable even in the back seat