2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Pleasure to own/drive since day one
By Evan on 12/20/09 09:54 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been a pleasure to own/drive since day one. Toyota did an excellent job at making an inexpensive car look and feel twice what I paid for it. Also the headrest is perfect! If you are looking for a great car that's budget friendly this one is definitely worth a look.

Marixn 09 disappointing!
By Poormel on 12/05/09 09:23 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Not particularly fun to drive, has awkward sitting position, seat doesn't travel far back enough for my comfort. I get a back ache after 2 hours of driving, which I don't get in my '01 Corolla. Emergency brake lever placed in a bad position, it seems to be always in the way and can easily be pulled up by a child or you by accident. It creates a cramped area in between 2 front seats. Rear seating room is very limited. Doors sound cheap when closing them.

Disappointed
By matrixok on 12/01/09 21:22 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Paint chips all over. Will have to have it repainted. Blind spot in the back. Gas mileage is good. Had tire blow out and had to replace 2 tires and rims. This was due to something the dealer did but as another review said the dealers do not own up to anything. On 3rd radio. Transmission seems to be slipping. Interior is hard to keep clean

Worst and Last Toyota I will ever own
By Disillusioned on 11/28/09 10:46 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the absolute worst car I have ever owned in my life, even worse than the used clunkers I drove when I was young and had no money. I have previously owned two Toyotas, which I absolutely loved (Corolla SR5 and an MR2). In this case, the third time is definitely not a charm. The car has no power, does not shift smoothly, the rear visibility is terrible, and the defrost leaves a lot to be desired. It is too bad that Toyota does not offer the same deal that General Motors does (i.e., give it back in 60 days if you are not satisfied), otherwise, this car would have been brought back in a heartbeat. Please run, don't walk, if someone tries to sell you a Matrix.

Mad
By mary on 11/04/09 14:45 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Matrix because I heard Toyota was a great car. I owned my Matrix for a month when I noticed paint chips on the hood, roof & back bumper. Took it to the dealership, they had the hood redone & touched up the roof & the bumper. That upset me. I thought it should have been repainted. Mind you I spent the extra 2000 & for the protective coating. One month later it's chipping on the hood & roof again. They sent me to the gentleman who repainted & touched it up the first time. I don't believe it's his fault. They should be dealing with it.

Owned for over one year
By gthumb on 11/04/09 05:23 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car drives very easily, however the fit and finish is horrible, rattles since day one, tire issue within 1st 3 mos. Toyota service awful, seems very cheap, not worth the price, poor paint quality, paint is chipping off the hood, design looks nice, but the front end needs a redesign to prevent the damage done to it from simple everyday driving.

A nice small hatchback.
By Anthony in Charlotte on 09/02/09 19:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I needed an economical, affordable, and reliable car for around town and to commute to work in. The Matrix fits what I need exactly, it's big enough for a child seat in the back seat, has the versatility of a "mini" SUV, is pretty stylish, and is actually fun (enough) to drive every day. The 1.8L with 5 speed won't win any races, but is surprisingly smooth and refined, especially on the highway. I know a lot of reviews on the new Matrix are filled with critics, but I really think it's a great little car for what it tries to be. Our other car is a Lexus, and our 3rd Lexus - the Matrix gauges have the same feel of the new IS, really. Give the Matrix a shot, I'm glad I didn't buy a Civic.

Love my Matrix
By RM on 08/21/09 01:05 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Great performance, so far has been reliable. I've enjoyed driving this car. Handles great. Headrest is very uncomfortable, causes pain in the neck and back. A little hard on fuel. Other than that I would say Matrix is a great car, I have a S AWD.

Few Problems, but Like Car
By Ms. Doll on 08/16/09 08:49 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I actually really like my 09 Matrix S, but I have run into a few problems. My seats spot too easily during rainy weather. There is a blind spot in rear window. Gas mileage is not as great as it could be. My stereo keeps blacking out/powering off and is suppose to be replaced next week.

2009 Toyota Matrix
By 2009 Toyota Matrix on 07/31/09 12:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have had my Matrix for one year today and have loved every minute of it. I drove my first Matrix as a rental car in 2005 and had wanted one ever since but did not like the 1.8 liter engine. When I found out that the car had been redesigned in 2009 with a 2.4 liter engine I jumped on the chance to get it. The gas mileage is a little low but is well worth it in my book. I would definitely recommend the Matrix if you want both the hauling capability of a small truck and the ability to haul four people easily.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback in VA is:

$107 per month*