Used 2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

I hate it I hate it I hate it
By deafmatrixdrvr

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I swear the thing has damaged my hearing it is so loud. The door seals are one poor design and allow air to whistle and roar through the car. Took it back twice and they replaced the seals with no improvement. Finally ran silicon sealant around behind the seal and that has helped a lot. Tire noise very loud. Loud gear whine at 35 MPH and You can't shift into reverse without double clutching or hammering the stick. Both normal per dealer. Impossible to back up at night. Stupid automatic headlights can not be turned off and backup lights are too weak. Gas mileage is poorer than my Camry with same motor and tank is too small. Max of 300 miles and it's on Empty.

We bought the car because I'd had good luck with my 2003 Camry and because the Matrix has a ton of room for hauling stuff. Seats fold flat - even the passenger's. The 2.4 is peppy and the seats are comfortable.

Better door seals. Better sound insulation. Better transmission. Some way to override automatic headlights other than leaving the emergency brake on. Brighter backup lights. Smaller side mirrors (big blind spot on left makes it hard to see when turning left.) Better gas mileage. Larger tank. Tone down the too bright Passenger Security lights.

Big Disappointment
By camrykiller

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car because it looked cool, and I always had Toyotas. I thought it would be fun to drive, and good on gas. Wrong. The car is ridiculously boring to drive. At 49,000 miles, the paint is peeling off the hood and front bumper...should be rusting soon. This car has the worst blind spot in auto history with the ridiculous pillar thing in the back rear. The interior is cheap, and it drives like a tonka toy car. Although the car will probably run forever, I would not buy this car again. I traded it in at 49,000 miles for a 2007 Honda Accord. Let me tell you....There is no comparison! The Toyota Matrix is so boring to drive and is a waste of money unless you just want A to B

Mp3 input, hatch, and fold down seat

Get rid of that pillar thing (blind spot..accident waiting to happen) More horsepower for uphill Better quality paint More comfortable interior Roomier interior Better stereo Less plastic in the interior....looks like it cost $4.99 to manufacture the whole front dash Toyotas have gotten so cheaply manufactured. My 2000 Camry was made so much better than this thing, and that was 9 years previous

Didn't Know What I was Looking For Until I Found It
By tandem2

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I had been looking for a vehicle to give my 2001 Trooper a rest for the work commute. I had driven everything from BMW X3's to the Nissan Cube and was really getting disappointed. Then I got behind the wheeel of a 2009 Matrix XRS with 10k miles on it...WOW! Within 5 minutes I knew that I had found the vehicle I was looking for. Comfortable for my 6 foot frame, sporty, fun to drive, relatively economical and pretty darn practical for the exterior dimensions. It has been 3 months since the purchase and my wife and I are still commenting how pleased we are with the car. We some long (400+ mile) trips coming, and we are looking forward to them. Great job Toyota!

My Matrix Design Saved My Life
By staylor80

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Martix for it's carrying capacity & for my dog. BUT, it was destroyed two days ago in a 5 car collision. I was rear ended 3 times at 55 mph, & struck pick up in front of me. I walked away with minor injuries. EMS & police all commented on the quality of how the vehicle stood up under that assault and the EC nurses were amazed. So, I will be replacing it with a new 2010 model later this week with NO hesitation. The only thing is, I'm looking for way to keep cargo contents from flying around in a crash (things too big for the net that came with the car).

crumple zones, air bags, seat belts, and interior design.

Easier access/suggestions for barriers to keep contents from cargo area from intruding in to driver/passenger seat part of cabin.

Love My Matrix!
By Renee

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over 2 years, and I haven't had any problems with it. It's fun to drive, handles well, and entertains me when it accelerates faster than other cars that should, by virtue of their purchase price, easily be able to take mine off the line from a traffic light. It's easy to find in any parking lot since I got the gold/orangish color, and the stereo system is awesome as it belts out tunes. Very minor complaints include the mediocre fuel economy. Also, my windshield used to make odd noises from to time but hasn't done that in a while. And if you don't buckle up that seat belt, Matrix will remind you (with 50 fast beeps).

Zippy acceleration, comfortable seats, roomy interior

Please, for the love of mankind, add a kill switch for that infernal seat belt reminder. If I want to drive .5 miles from my grocer to home I don't want Matrix big brothering me.

• SUV