Used 2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Big Disappointment
By camrykiller

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car because it looked cool, and I always had Toyotas. I thought it would be fun to drive, and good on gas. Wrong. The car is ridiculously boring to drive. At 49,000 miles, the paint is peeling off the hood and front bumper...should be rusting soon. This car has the worst blind spot in auto history with the ridiculous pillar thing in the back rear. The interior is cheap, and it drives like a tonka toy car. Although the car will probably run forever, I would not buy this car again. I traded it in at 49,000 miles for a 2007 Honda Accord. Let me tell you....There is no comparison! The Toyota Matrix is so boring to drive and is a waste of money unless you just want A to B

Favorite Features

Mp3 input, hatch, and fold down seat

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of that pillar thing (blind spot..accident waiting to happen) More horsepower for uphill Better quality paint More comfortable interior Roomier interior Better stereo Less plastic in the interior....looks like it cost $4.99 to manufacture the whole front dash Toyotas have gotten so cheaply manufactured. My 2000 Camry was made so much better than this thing, and that was 9 years previous

Didn't Know What I was Looking For Until I Found It
By tandem2

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I had been looking for a vehicle to give my 2001 Trooper a rest for the work commute. I had driven everything from BMW X3's to the Nissan Cube and was really getting disappointed. Then I got behind the wheeel of a 2009 Matrix XRS with 10k miles on it...WOW! Within 5 minutes I knew that I had found the vehicle I was looking for. Comfortable for my 6 foot frame, sporty, fun to drive, relatively economical and pretty darn practical for the exterior dimensions. It has been 3 months since the purchase and my wife and I are still commenting how pleased we are with the car. We some long (400+ mile) trips coming, and we are looking forward to them. Great job Toyota!

My Matrix Design Saved My Life
By staylor80

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Martix for it's carrying capacity & for my dog. BUT, it was destroyed two days ago in a 5 car collision. I was rear ended 3 times at 55 mph, & struck pick up in front of me. I walked away with minor injuries. EMS & police all commented on the quality of how the vehicle stood up under that assault and the EC nurses were amazed. So, I will be replacing it with a new 2010 model later this week with NO hesitation. The only thing is, I'm looking for way to keep cargo contents from flying around in a crash (things too big for the net that came with the car).

Favorite Features

crumple zones, air bags, seat belts, and interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Easier access/suggestions for barriers to keep contents from cargo area from intruding in to driver/passenger seat part of cabin.

Love My Matrix!
By Renee

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over 2 years, and I haven't had any problems with it. It's fun to drive, handles well, and entertains me when it accelerates faster than other cars that should, by virtue of their purchase price, easily be able to take mine off the line from a traffic light. It's easy to find in any parking lot since I got the gold/orangish color, and the stereo system is awesome as it belts out tunes. Very minor complaints include the mediocre fuel economy. Also, my windshield used to make odd noises from to time but hasn't done that in a while. And if you don't buckle up that seat belt, Matrix will remind you (with 50 fast beeps).

Favorite Features

Zippy acceleration, comfortable seats, roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

Please, for the love of mankind, add a kill switch for that infernal seat belt reminder. If I want to drive .5 miles from my grocer to home I don't want Matrix big brothering me.

2009 Matrix get a 1.8 engine not a 2.4
By Dude

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The Matrix 2009 is a great looker but terrible on gas mileage maybe 17 if I am lucky. If you drive like a old man at 55 maybe get 20. I screwed up and wanted power and bought the 2.4 engine instead of the 1.8 . With a 2.4 the gas goes down these fuel injectors like its no tomorrow. It's really a shame I picked a gas guzzler and it doesn't look like a SUV.

Favorite Features

color

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage and better ride those small wheel are no good really bumpy