2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Literally feel every bump on the Road
By my2009toyotamatrix on 08/24/10 13:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

In 2009 Toyota came out with a new sharp style Matrix with powerfully 2.4 engine instead of 1.8 . So I bought it after what I thought was a long test drive. After having it for a while It started bugging me with the road noise driving literally any where. Road noise and bumpy ride is finally starting to drive me nuts. It has those showy 17 inch rims with hardly any tire meat on them to absorb simple roads conditions. It looks like 2 inches thick makes a really terrible bumpy ride. Now I am stuck with a $20,000 car that looks cool but rides like a milk truck. They made the disk brakes so big you cant change it for a smooth ride, I better trade it in before word gets out. This car is done.

Very happy with this car
By snowman on 07/30/10 21:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am very impressed with Matrix and the versatility it offers. There is plenty of room in the back, especially if the seats are folded down. It is zippy and handles very well on the road. I agree that the visibility out the back is a bit limited, and I am also under the impression the paint may be prone to chipping. I also like the higher seating position as it makes getting into and out of the vehicle much easier. No issues after two long trips, and I don't believe it is any noisier on the highway than most other cars.

Great Car
By Happy Matrix Owner on 04/11/10 21:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This car has been excellent in all ways. Very dependable, quiet and comfortable. Yes, a bit of a blind spot, but if you know about it, them you adjust the mirrors and compensate for it. Surprising amount of room for both passengers and for hauling stuff. Tinted the windows and it looks nice and sporty.

Good so far
By Pleased so far on 02/21/10 03:54 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for a year now and have put 10,000 miles on it. I have been pleased so far. Paid $16,500 for base model with auto, air and power windows. Getting over 30 MPG in mixed highway/city driving. Keeping between 60-65 I can get about 38mpg on the highway. With the back seats down and the front seats up, a twin size air mattress will fit in back. The back seats have plenty of room for 2 adults. Handles relatively well in the snow. Despite all the news about recalls I've had no problems with quality so far.

i like it
By dragon on 02/11/10 21:15 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

taken on 3 long trips over 300 miles each never had any problems w/noise or anything else i find it a joy to drive and still get great mileage approx 28 in town

update
By gthumb on 02/02/10 08:15 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

posted a review last Nov. since then the weather has turned colder, more rattles, and the windshield sounds as though it is going to pop out. More paint has chipped off the front end, noise inside the car has increased, and the recall has added to the loss of resale value. I will never by a Toyota again.

Luv that Matrix?
By george on 01/20/10 20:11 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We have owned the Matrix for a year. We purchased at the peak of the gas price run last year and its clear that Toyota gave us no price breaks. We paid $21,000 for the 2 wheel drive car. Its a fun peppy hard riding car with style. Its got poor visibility out the back and only OK mileage. I have the metallic red, no paint chips so far!

Great car my awd
By HWR on 01/19/10 07:15 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased our 09 matrix in 2008. At the time living in snowy area we got the awd-s model with the 2.4 litre Camry engine. Traction control on snow/ice fantastic. Not too many other cars can beat it from a light, eccept maybe a sports sedan with a v-8? paint chips easily, seats uncomfortable&blind spots, mileage is o. k. 28-30 mpg on highway. Overall the car is good. 31,000 miles&only oil changes. All 4 tires will need to be replaced soon. Remember, it's awd!

Is Toyota ever going to do what I want?
By windysun on 01/18/10 07:32 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I love my 09 Matrix. My tall kids are comfortable in the back. I think it is the best looking car for this class. However, Toyota skimps on little luxuries. If this car were made by Lexus under a different name, I would buy 3. This car needs more comfortable seats. As usual, it is bare bones. I don't feel I paid bare bones price though. When you hit a curb or something, holy cow. The whole car gets a jolt.

2009 matrix 4d hacthback
By abstract007 on 01/14/10 19:00 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I replaced a vw beetle with the 2009 matrix its good not to be in the every month. So far so good its lacking pickup the automatic transmission could use improvement in order to get power I have to be hard on the kickdown but it will reach 110mph on a good day with a tail wind. Toyota need to improve the transmission, noise level fr;under carriage, front suspension easily get out of alignment,fuel 31mpg average I commute it meet the daily needs

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback in VA is:

$107 per month*