Used 2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Great car and deal!
By Chuck

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this car and I am really enjoying driving and looking at it! I love the position of the stick and it is so much fun to shift. I thought I wanted the bigger engine but I find the 1.8 plenty of power. It is a great combination of fun, practicality and economy. You can't beat the deals Toyota is offering now. Way below invoice! Shop around if you can't get it. Great for driving the roads of the Wine County in Sonoma County. Come visit!

Comfort, handling and shifting the stick, not to mention the gas savings.

Cargo cover for the back.

So far liking it.
By Nolan

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Wanted a 4-door hatchback that got good gas mileage, was comfortable to ride in all day and had a good price. So far this car has pretty much fit the bill. We have 5,800 miles on it in 4 months. We are averaging 35 mpg. 75% interstate, 15% two lane roads and 10% city. Like that you sit up higher so getting in and out is easier. Did have some problems with paint chips on the hood until I installed a bug deflector on the front of it. On rough roads there is a lot of road noise that you can hear inside the car. Needs more insulation. Have a few rattles when on rough roads. I dislike the sound system.

Gas mileage. Fun to drive through curvy roads. Hatchback.

Sound system. More insulation to cut out road noise. Fix rattles in dash.

S AWD
By Steven

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Driving experience is fun for a crossover AWD vehicle. Ride is fairly smooth and build quality seems good other than a crackle and pop here and there. The car has ample power for a 158 hp 4 cylinder with all wheel drive, especially when driven in 3rd. Has plenty of room in it and versatility. The car has good looks inside and out, and definitely doesn't blend in with the ugly looks of some of it's competitors. The dash layout is very nice and sporty looking, and is easy on the eyes.

AWD, heated mirrors, cargo space, design of instrumentation, handling for car of its size

MPG isn't the best it should be. The stereo system is mediocre and isn't all that great. I think Toyota needs to look into a better sound system, and maybe a CVT or 5/6 spd auto next time for better fuel economy. The seats could let down a little farther too, and an electrochromic rearview std.

Continue to be impressed
By SoCalMatrix

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Matrix for almost nine months and my affection for it continues to grow. The Matrix is great for former SUV owners (such as myself) - it sits higher than your average sedan, and has a surprising amount of space. My first test drive sold me, as I found I had plenty of arm room and didn't feel cramped at all (unlike my test drive of a Mini Cooper, which felt almost cartoonish). But what really sold me is the styling - what a great looking car! My only disappointment is city MPG. Most of my driving is in stop-and-go city traffic, and I only get about 22 MPG. I chose the base model for fuel efficiency, but that aspect of the car has been slightly disappointing.

Exterior styling, interior dash styling, cargo room, driver room, ergonomic instrumentation

Better city MPG

2009 Matrix Air Bags Didn't Deploy
By jeannie

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Just wanted everyone to know that in regards to collisions and air bags, Toyota may not be the safest way to go. I just had a full frontal car accident, where the air bags did not deploy. The impact was received at at least 35 mph and not one air bag deployed. I was able to walk away from the accident with minor pain, the car did not. Rescue crew was puzzled on why the airbags did not deploy. Just glad I was the only one in the car and the kiddies weren't there.

Great on Gas