2009 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Great commuter car
By matrixgirl09 on 05/25/08 16:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for almost 4 months and I like it a lot, I wanted the hatchback for carrying around stuff like my bike. I like that it sits higher off the ground like my suv did. Great gas mileage. The base model has enough power for me. The gauges take some getting used too, I can see them even with sunglasses on but in direct sunlight (usually at sunset) they can be hard to see.

Great fuel economy in a fun ride
By matrixowner on 05/25/08 09:25 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I downsized to the Matrix from a Tacoma due to the rising gas prices. I am very happy to be getting an average of 32 mpg. The car is fun to drive, and the fold down seats give you the ability to fit items that you couldn't fit in other cars.

The 1.8L is great too
By docket on 05/22/08 05:43 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I never thought I could love a car so much. There is so much room inside, yet it is small on the outside. The ride is smooth and the seats comfortable. My dad is still talking about how he could fit in the backseat with ease (all 350 pounds of him). The gas mileage is averaging 25 mpg with a combination of city & highway driving.

So far a fantastic econimic family car
By sunburst metallic on 05/06/08 10:40 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We bought this car last month. We have only had it for about two weeks, but because of a move we have already put over 2k miles on it. We made 3 400 mile drives within a week on it, and I have to say wow. We avg about 32 mpg on the freeway. I am not a slow driver either. Avg speed was about 75 mph. A lot of time spent cruising at 80 mph. The car has decent pick up and go, it is not a race car, but it is enough to be comfortable. We have two young children that fit comfortably in the back seat with plenty of room. Though the Mazda 3 was more fun to drive, this won out because it was so much more practical. A perfect family car for those that want room with out driving an suv or minivan.

Matrix is a blast
By adam on 04/28/08 19:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This car is much improved for 09. The 2.4 liter Camry motor makes this car a rocket but still a miser with the gas. The look is really sporty I get lots of compliments. No squeaks or rattles. Rear visibility is compromised with the new design but not unbearable. The 18" wheels on the XRS are sharp. You really forget this is a great practical utility vehicle.Th

Mileage is better than advertised
By happy matrix owner on 04/28/08 19:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new after test driving Honda Fit, Scion XD, 08 Matrix. Was looking for best combination of gas mileage and space. This one has it. Now have 2800 miles on the car and the worst mpg was 32, best was 34. This is daily commute into Washington DC, combination of half highway, half parking lot.

You can't be told what the Matrix is
By Teebone on 04/27/08 07:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've had this car for a week and I don't want to get out of it! I held out for the 2.4L Matrix and it was well worth the wait. Handles great, corners great, steering is a bit numb but the acceleration more than makes up for it. The 4-wheel independent suspension and 18" rims sold me for the XRS model... a real head-turner. This car is the sportiest thing a 6'3" driver can fit in and still have some resemblance of a back seat left. Getting in and out is a bit snug but once you find your settings it fells like you are part of the car. Vehicle Stability Control does make a noticeable difference. I’ve been too excited to calculate MPG yet but all other features have lived up to the spec sheet.

Where is MPG?
By george on 04/22/08 11:50 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have not gotten an MPG over 20 mpg (mainly stop & go traffic), with the panels in the door column coming off. Mechanical noise coming from the engine contributed to the gas by the toyota dealership. the head rest is uncomfortable and unmovable. I thought Toyota was famous for their quality.

Great Car and Ride
By Philip on 04/20/08 09:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We are still in the process of breaking it in we only have a few miles. We did a lot of looking at other models and the Matrix won us over. The 1.8L I4 EFI engine has plenty of power when needed. The 2009 Matrix has great safety features. The finish is first rate. Have driven other models and the 2009 Matrix has great visbility and it is easy to get in and out of. The seats are very comfortable and the back seat has plenty of leg room. We get lots of compliments. Toyota needs to advertise the Matrix. People with other new models have compliment us and said that they wish they had heard of the Matrix.

Perfect car for me!
By great car! on 03/29/08 16:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The only regret I have with my Matrix is that I didn't get it in RED! I have a white matrix and everything about it soooo wonderful! I love my car and it drives well on the road, although I am still in the process of breaking it in so I am still careful with it. I still have to find my perfect driving spot in the driver's seat but it is comfortable. I get good mileage on this car (28 mpg) and I believe this will improve with time. Radio reception fluctuates every now and then and I don't know if it's the signal or the equipment itself but I am so glad that there's the mp3 plug. Very, very nice improvement on the total new look. I still wish I got it in RED. :)

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Matrix in VA is:

$107 per month*