Used 2009 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Continue to be impressed
By SoCalMatrix

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Matrix for almost nine months and my affection for it continues to grow. The Matrix is great for former SUV owners (such as myself) - it sits higher than your average sedan, and has a surprising amount of space. My first test drive sold me, as I found I had plenty of arm room and didn't feel cramped at all (unlike my test drive of a Mini Cooper, which felt almost cartoonish). But what really sold me is the styling - what a great looking car! My only disappointment is city MPG. Most of my driving is in stop-and-go city traffic, and I only get about 22 MPG. I chose the base model for fuel efficiency, but that aspect of the car has been slightly disappointing.

Exterior styling, interior dash styling, cargo room, driver room, ergonomic instrumentation

Better city MPG

2009 Matrix Air Bags Didn't Deploy
By jeannie

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Just wanted everyone to know that in regards to collisions and air bags, Toyota may not be the safest way to go. I just had a full frontal car accident, where the air bags did not deploy. The impact was received at at least 35 mph and not one air bag deployed. I was able to walk away from the accident with minor pain, the car did not. Rescue crew was puzzled on why the airbags did not deploy. Just glad I was the only one in the car and the kiddies weren't there.

Great on Gas

Air Bag Deployment

Did i make a mistake?
By Terry

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my Matrix XR in May, 2008. I think the vehicle is comfortable, fun to drive and gets good gas mileage. Love the look of the vehicle as well. However, everything was fine until about 25,000 km. The alignment needed adjusting, windshield has a air leak somewhere, and the dash board also squeaks really bad when its cold. It's quite annoying. Had it in the dealership and they agreed something was wrong with the windshield. They removed the windshield and then replaced the seal. Noise is still there. My radio failed. New one on order. Hate the way the rain leaves marks on the interior of the seats.

look, gas mileage, comfort of seats and interior

Obviously something is wrong with dash/windshield. Not the first compliant.

Good looks, poor ride
By lizstx

2009 Toyota Matrix XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We've nicknamed our Matrix the "covered wagon" because of how horrendous the ride is. Every bump, pot hole, and dip is magnified many times over by the fact that the "sporty suspension" makes this car feel like it has no shocks whatsoever. It's loud, rough, and we regret the day we bought it. Spare yourself the pain and pass this one by.

Re-work the suspension.

AWD Lacks Good MPG
By Gabagooo

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had the AWD Matrix since July 2008 and overall, I like the car. The AWD system has been very nice to have this winter, but at a high cost. I am averaging just 22 MPG on the highway, which is lower than expected. Next time i am in the dealership I am going to have them check for problems. Also, on very long drives, the seats can become a bit uncomfortable. When the car is wet, water from the roof spills onto the rear seat when you open the back doors.

AWD. Heated mirrors. Heater and AC work really well. Cargo space.

Auto folding mirrors, better MPG, cargo cover.

• SUV