2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
I hate it I hate it I hate it
By deafmatrixdrvr on 11/23/11 21:33 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I swear the thing has damaged my hearing it is so loud. The door seals are one poor design and allow air to whistle and roar through the car. Took it back twice and they replaced the seals with no improvement. Finally ran silicon sealant around behind the seal and that has helped a lot. Tire noise very loud. Loud gear whine at 35 MPH and You can't shift into reverse without double clutching or hammering the stick. Both normal per dealer. Impossible to back up at night. Stupid automatic headlights can not be turned off and backup lights are too weak. Gas mileage is poorer than my Camry with same motor and tank is too small. Max of 300 miles and it's on Empty.

I love my new car
By Alex on 05/23/09 07:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought a new Matrix. So far, I love the car. It drives well and with the larger engine, has great pickup. I am a large person, but with the extra headroom in the vehicle, I don't feel cramped. I think this car will meet and exceed my expectations for an economy vehicle.

Overall great, fun car
By Nectars1 on 01/22/09 13:12 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car just before winter and so far I love it. It's so much fun to drive, it's sporty without paying for a sports car. It handles very well in the snow as well. I definitely think it hits bumps pretty hard but that's really my only complaint. It's extremely smooth and easy to shift between gears. I think it's a great car for the money. It's backed by the Toyota reputation!

Reflects the Driver...
By Jack Rabbit on 08/28/08 05:52 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Being an Admirer of the Prius and the fact that there's a waiting list for one, I browsed the lot at the dealership I went to and I could not get over the awesome body style and "unusual" paint job (sunburst metallic). The thought of another six year car payment was dreaded but I'd moved from a 30 minute commute to and from work a day to a 65 minute one and I needed better gas mileage and a warranty so I decided to "bite the bullet" and managed to leave with a manual 09 Matrix S. Not for one moment do I regret it!!! The gas mileage is incredible (compared to my 01 Chevy Cavalier), It's very "giddy" in the speed department, Very maneuverable on the road and comfortable to drive...

Vibration Issue
By Burrito on 08/15/08 10:01 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Matrix has been a fun car to drive and I have enjoyed it greatly over the 2006 Corolla I traded in. I don't enjoy the 35 MPG that I did with the Corolla, but I have been averaging about 27. The car has pep as I easily find myself doing 80 in a 45 without noticing. I have been experiencing a vibration on the light console above the gear selector (Map Console?). The vibrations occur only when the sun is low or set, but will start even on a smooth road. I am chalking it up to thermal expansion of the roof when it is in the sun. Has anyone else experienced this? I can not get Toyota to fix because alas, the service department is not open when it is dark out.

Fun to drive, some utility, good on gas
By Steve on 07/20/08 13:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

1800 miles so far. Fun to drive. Feels like a sports car. Great for utility. Only slightly smaller in back than my 4runner. 2.4L engine is great but reduces mpg. I get 30 highway. 35 would be more to my liking. It's worth it to me so far though. 5-speed manual is fun but needs one more gear on the high end. A 6th speed (extra overdrive) is what it really needs. That would gain a few mpg and reduce revs on highway. This engine could handle it. Gas pedal seems to be on wrong angle for me (6' and slim). Right foot hurts if I drive highway too long. Always get a nice greeting when people see it, esp younger. It is a slick looking car. Clutch was jumpy for first 1000 miles, ok now.

Finally!
By annette on 07/18/08 09:19 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I didn't know the Matrix existed. I hated the car I was driving, so I went to the Toyota place to look at Scion, but saw the Matrix in the showroom. I was hooked. I love the dropdown seats and the fact that they are flat. The seats are comfy and everything on the dash is easy to get to. The doors don't close on my legs, large and roomy.

Young look, old reliable toyota
By Bill on 06/03/08 20:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a gas guzzling Trailblazer for this useful utility wagon. No complaint thus far and I'm loving the sportiness relative to the big clunker.

Nice Ride
By GrindEm on 03/20/08 20:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the 2.4L with the 5 speed manual tranny in radiant red. This car needs the 2.4L to move the extra pork at an acceptable pace. I love the engine and the tranny, very positive driving experience! I am 6'1 and find it to be a little tight in the seat and in the foot wells. The layout is very handy and will fit a lot of stuff with the seats folded down. However the design makes for the worst tunnel cover for privacy I have ever seen! I really like the new exterior styling, big improvement over the geriatric 1st generation. I love the way Toyota puts their packages and model lines together, clean and straight foward. All in all a fun car to drive, quick, agile, stable, good price, aux jack.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.