2009 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
I can't believe anyone has anything good to say about this car!
By hatematrix on 12/04/12 18:42 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the Matrix because we travel and it had the room we needed and thought it would get the gas mileage we wanted. Okay-1 out of 2. But the car is a death trap. We've had 4 accidents because of the blind spots. A salesman from Toyota called and asked if I would be interested in trading my car--I told him no one would want it and I wouldn't want to sell this car to an unsuspecting innocent person. I've had several Toyotas and never had a complaint. But the only thing I can find positive besides it starting everyday, is the handle to close the hatchback and the abundance of drink holders. Starting everyday is good!

2009 Matrix get a 1.8 engine not a 2.4
By Dude on 08/26/10 13:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The Matrix 2009 is a great looker but terrible on gas mileage maybe 17 if I am lucky. If you drive like a old man at 55 maybe get 20. I screwed up and wanted power and bought the 2.4 engine instead of the 1.8 . With a 2.4 the gas goes down these fuel injectors like its no tomorrow. It's really a shame I picked a gas guzzler and it doesn't look like a SUV.

Literally feel every bump on the Road
By my2009toyotamatrix on 08/24/10 13:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

In 2009 Toyota came out with a new sharp style Matrix with powerfully 2.4 engine instead of 1.8 . So I bought it after what I thought was a long test drive. After having it for a while It started bugging me with the road noise driving literally any where. Road noise and bumpy ride is finally starting to drive me nuts. It has those showy 17 inch rims with hardly any tire meat on them to absorb simple roads conditions. It looks like 2 inches thick makes a really terrible bumpy ride. Now I am stuck with a $20,000 car that looks cool but rides like a milk truck. They made the disk brakes so big you cant change it for a smooth ride, I better trade it in before word gets out. This car is done.

Great Car
By Happy Matrix Owner on 04/11/10 21:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This car has been excellent in all ways. Very dependable, quiet and comfortable. Yes, a bit of a blind spot, but if you know about it, them you adjust the mirrors and compensate for it. Surprising amount of room for both passengers and for hauling stuff. Tinted the windows and it looks nice and sporty.

Marixn 09 disappointing!
By Poormel on 12/05/09 09:23 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Not particularly fun to drive, has awkward sitting position, seat doesn't travel far back enough for my comfort. I get a back ache after 2 hours of driving, which I don't get in my '01 Corolla. Emergency brake lever placed in a bad position, it seems to be always in the way and can easily be pulled up by a child or you by accident. It creates a cramped area in between 2 front seats. Rear seating room is very limited. Doors sound cheap when closing them.

Disappointed
By matrixok on 12/01/09 21:22 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Paint chips all over. Will have to have it repainted. Blind spot in the back. Gas mileage is good. Had tire blow out and had to replace 2 tires and rims. This was due to something the dealer did but as another review said the dealers do not own up to anything. On 3rd radio. Transmission seems to be slipping. Interior is hard to keep clean

Few Problems, but Like Car
By Ms. Doll on 08/16/09 08:49 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I actually really like my 09 Matrix S, but I have run into a few problems. My seats spot too easily during rainy weather. There is a blind spot in rear window. Gas mileage is not as great as it could be. My stereo keeps blacking out/powering off and is suppose to be replaced next week.

2009 Toyota Matrix
By 2009 Toyota Matrix on 07/31/09 12:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have had my Matrix for one year today and have loved every minute of it. I drove my first Matrix as a rental car in 2005 and had wanted one ever since but did not like the 1.8 liter engine. When I found out that the car had been redesigned in 2009 with a 2.4 liter engine I jumped on the chance to get it. The gas mileage is a little low but is well worth it in my book. I would definitely recommend the Matrix if you want both the hauling capability of a small truck and the ability to haul four people easily.

Reliable and Practical
By axiom on 07/09/09 09:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I'm echoing what CarParker already mentioned - he has said the best. It really is a sport hatch for the pragmatic. This car feels confident on the highway and quick in the city. I personally prefer the styling of this Matrix to a lot of its competitors out there. They did a great job with the front grill. The suspension is hard and the ride can be rough in the city, but this is expected from a car of this type. Nonetheless, the stability control works well. Brakes are excellent and the seat are very comfortable for me (I'm about 5'11 200 lbs). Comfort is a premium for me since I have issues with my knees for long journeys. Overall, this matrix gives you a smooth ride and great gas mileage.

Harsh Ride Has Gotten Better
By twocruzin on 06/28/09 13:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

No problems with this car in the 15 months I've had it. My only complaint is the way it rides on those low profile tires (45's). I think I have finally figured out the best air pressure for the best ride at 4k elevation. I've gone from the recommended pressure of 32 psi up to 35 and down to 30 and then 28. At 28, the ride was pretty good, but you could tell the tires were a bit soft as the handling was just a little mushy. Plus it's not really recommended to go that low as the tires can heat up excessively and cause a blow out. All this said, I've now gone to the other extreme and am running them at 38 psi, and this actually is the best yet. I think I'll leave them there.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Matrix in VA is:

$122 per month*