Used 2009 Toyota Matrix S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

I can't believe anyone has anything good to say about this car!
By hatematrix

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the Matrix because we travel and it had the room we needed and thought it would get the gas mileage we wanted. Okay-1 out of 2. But the car is a death trap. We've had 4 accidents because of the blind spots. A salesman from Toyota called and asked if I would be interested in trading my car--I told him no one would want it and I wouldn't want to sell this car to an unsuspecting innocent person. I've had several Toyotas and never had a complaint. But the only thing I can find positive besides it starting everyday, is the handle to close the hatchback and the abundance of drink holders. Starting everyday is good!

Favorite Features

Drink Holders, Handle on Hatchback. Plenty of space in the back

Suggested Improvements

Too numerous. I was told they quit making the Matrix--that was the best improvement.

2009 Matrix get a 1.8 engine not a 2.4
By Dude

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The Matrix 2009 is a great looker but terrible on gas mileage maybe 17 if I am lucky. If you drive like a old man at 55 maybe get 20. I screwed up and wanted power and bought the 2.4 engine instead of the 1.8 . With a 2.4 the gas goes down these fuel injectors like its no tomorrow. It's really a shame I picked a gas guzzler and it doesn't look like a SUV.

Favorite Features

color

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage and better ride those small wheel are no good really bumpy

Literally feel every bump on the Road
By my2009toyotamatrix

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

In 2009 Toyota came out with a new sharp style Matrix with powerfully 2.4 engine instead of 1.8 . So I bought it after what I thought was a long test drive. After having it for a while It started bugging me with the road noise driving literally any where. Road noise and bumpy ride is finally starting to drive me nuts. It has those showy 17 inch rims with hardly any tire meat on them to absorb simple roads conditions. It looks like 2 inches thick makes a really terrible bumpy ride. Now I am stuck with a $20,000 car that looks cool but rides like a milk truck. They made the disk brakes so big you cant change it for a smooth ride, I better trade it in before word gets out. This car is done.

Favorite Features

looks

Suggested Improvements

I want 15" to get a smooth ride, they said you can only go to 16 inch because the calibers and rotors are huge you cant go to 15 inch it didn't clear the caliber brake system it got stuck no clearance at all. Bummer and 16 aren't going to do much for a better ride because its only another inch more

Great Car
By Happy Matrix Owner

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This car has been excellent in all ways. Very dependable, quiet and comfortable. Yes, a bit of a blind spot, but if you know about it, them you adjust the mirrors and compensate for it. Surprising amount of room for both passengers and for hauling stuff. Tinted the windows and it looks nice and sporty.

Favorite Features

Ease of driving and dependability.

Marixn 09 disappointing!
By Poormel

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Not particularly fun to drive, has awkward sitting position, seat doesn't travel far back enough for my comfort. I get a back ache after 2 hours of driving, which I don't get in my '01 Corolla. Emergency brake lever placed in a bad position, it seems to be always in the way and can easily be pulled up by a child or you by accident. It creates a cramped area in between 2 front seats. Rear seating room is very limited. Doors sound cheap when closing them.

Favorite Features

Rear room is great, mileage not too bad, good brakes. Stereo is decent quality.

Suggested Improvements

Definitely Front Seating room and mobility of seats an issue. Place the emergency brake lever on the floor to create more space between the 2 front seats and make it more safe.