Used 2009 Toyota Matrix Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Toyota onslaught of Service Bulletins
By matrix1_8l

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car originally because I wanted to replace my old hatchback with something reliable and fuel efficient. So I went for the 1.8L up until now I had gotten what I paid for. The issues started when I went hit the 50000 mile mark. Since then I have been to the dealership service center over 5 times for major repairs. All of which are documented in Service Bulletins. The latest issue affects all matrix and corollas with the 1.8L engine and will not be covered after the 60000 mile warranty runs out. They actually have to go in, take apart the engine and replace engine components of the crankshaft assembly. That doesn't seem reliable to me.

I personally like the sound system and fold-flat back seats. The car has a spacious interior and a sleek look on the outside.

The clutch on the manual transmission can be temperamental. I've had the car turn off on me various times when accelerating from a stopped position. There have also been times when the reverse has not engaged properly even when the car is fully stopped and the clutch is fully pressed in.

Love My Matrix!
By Renee

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over 2 years, and I haven't had any problems with it. It's fun to drive, handles well, and entertains me when it accelerates faster than other cars that should, by virtue of their purchase price, easily be able to take mine off the line from a traffic light. It's easy to find in any parking lot since I got the gold/orangish color, and the stereo system is awesome as it belts out tunes. Very minor complaints include the mediocre fuel economy. Also, my windshield used to make odd noises from to time but hasn't done that in a while. And if you don't buckle up that seat belt, Matrix will remind you (with 50 fast beeps).

Zippy acceleration, comfortable seats, roomy interior

Please, for the love of mankind, add a kill switch for that infernal seat belt reminder. If I want to drive .5 miles from my grocer to home I don't want Matrix big brothering me.

2009 matrix 4d hacthback
By abstract007

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I replaced a vw beetle with the 2009 matrix its good not to be in the every month. So far so good its lacking pickup the automatic transmission could use improvement in order to get power I have to be hard on the kickdown but it will reach 110mph on a good day with a tail wind. Toyota need to improve the transmission, noise level fr;under carriage, front suspension easily get out of alignment,fuel 31mpg average I commute it meet the daily needs

Worst and Last Toyota I will ever own
By Disillusioned

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the absolute worst car I have ever owned in my life, even worse than the used clunkers I drove when I was young and had no money. I have previously owned two Toyotas, which I absolutely loved (Corolla SR5 and an MR2). In this case, the third time is definitely not a charm. The car has no power, does not shift smoothly, the rear visibility is terrible, and the defrost leaves a lot to be desired. It is too bad that Toyota does not offer the same deal that General Motors does (i.e., give it back in 60 days if you are not satisfied), otherwise, this car would have been brought back in a heartbeat. Please run, don't walk, if someone tries to sell you a Matrix.

Gas mileage.

Too numerous to mention.

A nice small hatchback.
By Anthony in Charlotte

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I needed an economical, affordable, and reliable car for around town and to commute to work in. The Matrix fits what I need exactly, it's big enough for a child seat in the back seat, has the versatility of a "mini" SUV, is pretty stylish, and is actually fun (enough) to drive every day. The 1.8L with 5 speed won't win any races, but is surprisingly smooth and refined, especially on the highway. I know a lot of reviews on the new Matrix are filled with critics, but I really think it's a great little car for what it tries to be. Our other car is a Lexus, and our 3rd Lexus - the Matrix gauges have the same feel of the new IS, really. Give the Matrix a shot, I'm glad I didn't buy a Civic.

Fuel economy, front styling, practical.

Alloy wheels on base model, better base sound system.