2009 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Toyota onslaught of Service Bulletins
By matrix1_8l on 12/02/11 13:14 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car originally because I wanted to replace my old hatchback with something reliable and fuel efficient. So I went for the 1.8L up until now I had gotten what I paid for. The issues started when I went hit the 50000 mile mark. Since then I have been to the dealership service center over 5 times for major repairs. All of which are documented in Service Bulletins. The latest issue affects all matrix and corollas with the 1.8L engine and will not be covered after the 60000 mile warranty runs out. They actually have to go in, take apart the engine and replace engine components of the crankshaft assembly. That doesn't seem reliable to me.

Love My Matrix!
By Renee on 08/28/10 18:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over 2 years, and I haven't had any problems with it. It's fun to drive, handles well, and entertains me when it accelerates faster than other cars that should, by virtue of their purchase price, easily be able to take mine off the line from a traffic light. It's easy to find in any parking lot since I got the gold/orangish color, and the stereo system is awesome as it belts out tunes. Very minor complaints include the mediocre fuel economy. Also, my windshield used to make odd noises from to time but hasn't done that in a while. And if you don't buckle up that seat belt, Matrix will remind you (with 50 fast beeps).

2009 matrix 4d hacthback
By abstract007 on 01/14/10 19:00 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I replaced a vw beetle with the 2009 matrix its good not to be in the every month. So far so good its lacking pickup the automatic transmission could use improvement in order to get power I have to be hard on the kickdown but it will reach 110mph on a good day with a tail wind. Toyota need to improve the transmission, noise level fr;under carriage, front suspension easily get out of alignment,fuel 31mpg average I commute it meet the daily needs

Worst and Last Toyota I will ever own
By Disillusioned on 11/28/09 10:46 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the absolute worst car I have ever owned in my life, even worse than the used clunkers I drove when I was young and had no money. I have previously owned two Toyotas, which I absolutely loved (Corolla SR5 and an MR2). In this case, the third time is definitely not a charm. The car has no power, does not shift smoothly, the rear visibility is terrible, and the defrost leaves a lot to be desired. It is too bad that Toyota does not offer the same deal that General Motors does (i.e., give it back in 60 days if you are not satisfied), otherwise, this car would have been brought back in a heartbeat. Please run, don't walk, if someone tries to sell you a Matrix.

A nice small hatchback.
By Anthony in Charlotte on 09/02/09 19:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I needed an economical, affordable, and reliable car for around town and to commute to work in. The Matrix fits what I need exactly, it's big enough for a child seat in the back seat, has the versatility of a "mini" SUV, is pretty stylish, and is actually fun (enough) to drive every day. The 1.8L with 5 speed won't win any races, but is surprisingly smooth and refined, especially on the highway. I know a lot of reviews on the new Matrix are filled with critics, but I really think it's a great little car for what it tries to be. Our other car is a Lexus, and our 3rd Lexus - the Matrix gauges have the same feel of the new IS, really. Give the Matrix a shot, I'm glad I didn't buy a Civic.

Trip Mileage
By Lou on 06/04/09 06:30 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I recently came off a trip and the mileage I got with my Toyota Matrix was 40 mpg going and 41 mpg returning. It's no bull. I couldn't believe it myself. I never drove over 62 mph; used cruise control; and I was the only person in the car. The car operated flawlessly. I'm 73 and this is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have owned many.

Good value
By Baystater on 05/25/09 08:25 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an'09 base model 1.8L manual with power package June 1 of 2008 for 16K. Have 13500 miles on it. Smooth ride, smooth shifting, excellent stability control for cornering, excellent disc brakes, decent gas mileage (28-29 city and 34-35 highway), good cargo capacity (can fit my bike w/o taking wheel off), very readable dash, adjustable telescopic steering wheel, seat comfort lacking in lumbar support, poor paint job (easily scratches from road debris), and horrible rear visibility (almost didn't buy it because of poor visibility). Given price difference with a Prius, e.g. 16K vs 23K, I figured it was a better value. Glad I bought it.

Great car and deal!
By Chuck on 04/30/09 22:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this car and I am really enjoying driving and looking at it! I love the position of the stick and it is so much fun to shift. I thought I wanted the bigger engine but I find the 1.8 plenty of power. It is a great combination of fun, practicality and economy. You can't beat the deals Toyota is offering now. Way below invoice! Shop around if you can't get it. Great for driving the roads of the Wine County in Sonoma County. Come visit!

A Mommy Car
By Mommy on 02/13/09 04:59 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great alternative to a big SUV. It has all the room I need to haul all my baby gear and it has the built in car seat hooks. I swore I'd never drive anything but a Honda. After my test drive, my mind changed. I find the seats are more comfortable and I love the hatchback- it's better than a trunk.

Love Matrix 2, 1.8 touring 5 sp manual
By Robtech on 11/23/08 09:35 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This 2nd generation has better roadholding, there's no front wheel spin, it really holds the road well especially when climbing. I got 32mpg in mixed driving. Noticeable low end torque between 1900rpm to 2800rpm. I love this 2ZRFE 1.8L engine.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Matrix in VA is:

$107 per month*