2009 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Don't Believe the Negativity
By matrix09lover on 09/20/13 21:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2009 XRX Matrix since the 1st one came into the local showroom in Feb 2008. Positives: I get 27mpg in town & 30-35 on the freeway with the 2.4L engine. I'm 6'3" and have plenty of headroom. I love the smart gears which allow me extra power going up hills or lower gearing for the heavy snows. The storage is great and I've gotten lots of compliments on the rear seats. I love the peppiness and get up and go the car has when getting on the freeway. Cons: Yes, there is a lot of road noise and performance tires needed for the XRS trim are more expensive than regular tires and only last 36K-40K miles at the most. This is a great car. I plan on keeping it a long time.

I can't believe anyone has anything good to say about this car!
By hatematrix on 12/04/12 18:42 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the Matrix because we travel and it had the room we needed and thought it would get the gas mileage we wanted. Okay-1 out of 2. But the car is a death trap. We've had 4 accidents because of the blind spots. A salesman from Toyota called and asked if I would be interested in trading my car--I told him no one would want it and I wouldn't want to sell this car to an unsuspecting innocent person. I've had several Toyotas and never had a complaint. But the only thing I can find positive besides it starting everyday, is the handle to close the hatchback and the abundance of drink holders. Starting everyday is good!

Perfect for me
By 09trix on 08/24/12 18:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I got this car over a year ago to replace my first car, an Oldsmobile that broke down at least once a month. As a young girl in college, I wanted something reliable that also looked nice. I love the unique look of the XRS, the interior is comfy, and everything is easy to use. I know a lot of people aren't happy with the gas mileage in the 2.4L but it's fine for me, I get about 30mpg on the highway. I also LOVE how much space it has; I was able to haul a full-size mattress in it! The only complaint I have is that it's a little cheaply made... the paint flakes off the hood way too easily and the interior scratches very easily. Other than that, no complaints. This car is just what I needed.

Toyota onslaught of Service Bulletins
By matrix1_8l on 12/02/11 13:14 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car originally because I wanted to replace my old hatchback with something reliable and fuel efficient. So I went for the 1.8L up until now I had gotten what I paid for. The issues started when I went hit the 50000 mile mark. Since then I have been to the dealership service center over 5 times for major repairs. All of which are documented in Service Bulletins. The latest issue affects all matrix and corollas with the 1.8L engine and will not be covered after the 60000 mile warranty runs out. They actually have to go in, take apart the engine and replace engine components of the crankshaft assembly. That doesn't seem reliable to me.

I hate it I hate it I hate it
By deafmatrixdrvr on 11/23/11 21:33 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I swear the thing has damaged my hearing it is so loud. The door seals are one poor design and allow air to whistle and roar through the car. Took it back twice and they replaced the seals with no improvement. Finally ran silicon sealant around behind the seal and that has helped a lot. Tire noise very loud. Loud gear whine at 35 MPH and You can't shift into reverse without double clutching or hammering the stick. Both normal per dealer. Impossible to back up at night. Stupid automatic headlights can not be turned off and backup lights are too weak. Gas mileage is poorer than my Camry with same motor and tank is too small. Max of 300 miles and it's on Empty.

Big Disappointment
By camrykiller on 03/17/11 12:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car because it looked cool, and I always had Toyotas. I thought it would be fun to drive, and good on gas. Wrong. The car is ridiculously boring to drive. At 49,000 miles, the paint is peeling off the hood and front bumper...should be rusting soon. This car has the worst blind spot in auto history with the ridiculous pillar thing in the back rear. The interior is cheap, and it drives like a tonka toy car. Although the car will probably run forever, I would not buy this car again. I traded it in at 49,000 miles for a 2007 Honda Accord. Let me tell you....There is no comparison! The Toyota Matrix is so boring to drive and is a waste of money unless you just want A to B

Didn't Know What I was Looking For Until I Found It
By tandem2 on 02/03/11 06:16 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Matrix XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I had been looking for a vehicle to give my 2001 Trooper a rest for the work commute. I had driven everything from BMW X3's to the Nissan Cube and was really getting disappointed. Then I got behind the wheeel of a 2009 Matrix XRS with 10k miles on it...WOW! Within 5 minutes I knew that I had found the vehicle I was looking for. Comfortable for my 6 foot frame, sporty, fun to drive, relatively economical and pretty darn practical for the exterior dimensions. It has been 3 months since the purchase and my wife and I are still commenting how pleased we are with the car. We some long (400+ mile) trips coming, and we are looking forward to them. Great job Toyota!

My Matrix Design Saved My Life
By staylor80 on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Martix for it's carrying capacity & for my dog. BUT, it was destroyed two days ago in a 5 car collision. I was rear ended 3 times at 55 mph, & struck pick up in front of me. I walked away with minor injuries. EMS & police all commented on the quality of how the vehicle stood up under that assault and the EC nurses were amazed. So, I will be replacing it with a new 2010 model later this week with NO hesitation. The only thing is, I'm looking for way to keep cargo contents from flying around in a crash (things too big for the net that came with the car).

Love My Matrix!
By Renee on 08/28/10 18:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over 2 years, and I haven't had any problems with it. It's fun to drive, handles well, and entertains me when it accelerates faster than other cars that should, by virtue of their purchase price, easily be able to take mine off the line from a traffic light. It's easy to find in any parking lot since I got the gold/orangish color, and the stereo system is awesome as it belts out tunes. Very minor complaints include the mediocre fuel economy. Also, my windshield used to make odd noises from to time but hasn't done that in a while. And if you don't buckle up that seat belt, Matrix will remind you (with 50 fast beeps).

2009 Matrix get a 1.8 engine not a 2.4
By Dude on 08/26/10 13:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The Matrix 2009 is a great looker but terrible on gas mileage maybe 17 if I am lucky. If you drive like a old man at 55 maybe get 20. I screwed up and wanted power and bought the 2.4 engine instead of the 1.8 . With a 2.4 the gas goes down these fuel injectors like its no tomorrow. It's really a shame I picked a gas guzzler and it doesn't look like a SUV.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Matrix in VA is:

$106 per month*