Used 2008 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Nice little versatile car
By mtmatrix

2008 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Matrix for just over a year now. It's a great little drive. Combined mileage is 28 mpg for my automatic. I get plenty of power for highway acceleration. I coach soccer and the hatchback lets me haul all my gear, including 5 foot corner flags. The fact that you can fold down just part of the back seat is very convenient. My only issue is the driver's seat back support. I'm used to a minivan with big soft comfortable seats.

Favorite Features

Cargo area with the 60/40 split back for easy fold down options. Good gas mileage. Low tire pressure warning light is handy. Fun to drive (says my teenage daughter).

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable driver's seat with better back support.

Great Car
By RIDG3RUNN3R

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have put 15k on my matrix already in 5 months. We have been up and down the east coast, including snow in the Adirondacks this November. I have camped out of it on several occasions. This vehicle is a very reliable and versatile machine. I recommend it to anyone. Competes with any Subaru, if it isn't better. I have carried canoes, bikes, kayaks and skis. It handles well even fully loaded.

Favorite Features

The ability to get it off road because it has a small wheel base. I have driven around mudholes and rocks where others needed 4x4.

Suggested Improvements

They already have with the all-wheel drive in 09 model.

Just an Awesome Car!
By angelofmusic5583

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have been wanting a Matrix for the last two or three years, and I finally got one at the end of 2007! It is the best car I have ever owned, and it is so much fun to drive! I don't regret for minute buying it, and not only is is sporty and cute, it's very comfortable! I'm 5'4, but I have people who are over 6'0 tall riding in my care on a regular basis, and they all agree it is comfortable as well! This is my first Toyota, and I believe they have me for life now!

Favorite Features

How comfortable the seats are, the six speaker stereo system, and the sun roof! I also love how much room there is in it, and that when the seats are folded down, it's all plastic on the back, so it protects your upholstery.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that I really don't like about the Matrix is that the six CD changer that I paid extra for does not have an iPod adapter and does not make it easy or cheap to add one.

Good gas mileage but over rated.
By GMB

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car. She bought it for the gas mileage which is good. As far as driving and comfort it does not have it. For a teenager this would be a great first car but I'm 6'2 and long legged. Trying to back up is hard cause you can't see out the back. If you don't know how to use mirrors to back up your in trouble.

Favorite Features

None except for the gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room and better visibility. If you're looking for comfort I would not suggest buying this car.

My aching back and shoulders
By Nicki

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I wanted a matrix for so long! I was so excited to finally get one! Unfortunately that excitement is turning into misery. First off, I'm not terribly picky. I've never considered a little road noise to be an issue or felt the need to drive a car with the high end comfort. Comfort was something I completely took for granted, until now, The steering position is so awkward! I have the seat all the way forward, but still I must reach for the wheel. This puts a lot of strain on my shoulders. And something is not right about the head rests, they push my head FOREWARD! The passenger seat and back seats aren't bad, just the drivers seat. As for road/wind noise, It's really bad.

Favorite Features

I like the way the car looks. It can carry whatever I want to put it it, though things slide all over that big back seat. Back seat is roomy. Don't expect to be able to reach it from the front. Acceleration is very good and gas mileage is decent. I'm getting about 28 mpg, mostly highway commuting.

Suggested Improvements

Better insulation. I have to crank out the radio to drown out the road and wind noise and please, do something about that driving position. It's a dealbreaker for me. I'm currently looking for another car. Last tip for ladies - there's no place to put you're purse.