Used 2008 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Took awhile, but now I love mine.
By WhoMe?

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was a died-in-the-wool Honda guy, driving my second Accord (an '89) into the ground, so I really pictured myself in a Fit. But the black- interior only, no-sunroof, constraints knocked them out. I got busted for DUI the third night I had it, and it cast a real pall over that wonderful "new car" feeling. (I'm not a bad guy... it's a long story). Anyway - LOVE it now. They finally fixed a minor rumble/rattle from the back that I lived with the first year, and it looks like new and suits me to a T. I bought it specifically for hauling things with the seats down, and it's great - the cargo nets help a lot.

6-disc CD Changer (I work for an audiobook catalog company and get to borrow them for free(!)). Regrettably, the only thing I DON'T like is that it lacks the iPod/mp3 jack that the 2009 has in the armrest.

Don't introduce next year's model in January - it was almost impossible to find a suitable '08 the first week of 2008. Offer a lighter interior than dark grey that is not tan. Hybrid is a big "DUH" - I dinged the mileage 'cause our Civic Hybrid gets 42-48 mpg for our driving.

Matrix 08--so far so good
By matrixdriver

2008 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I needed the most fuel efficient car I could find that could still carry a bunch of stuff. There were some good hybrid options, but they were too pricey and I'm unsure about the battery technology. So, I checked out the Matrix, Fit, and Mazda 3. They are all good cars that would have worked, but I went with the Matrix because I got a pretty good price, got a long warranty, and it had all the features I needed. Had a little more space than the Fit and was more comfortable in the driving position. I was also hoping to have something very reliable, and Toyota along with the Corolla this is based on, seemed perfect. 23,000 miles in it still seems like the right choice.

Can fit a lot of stuff in it. Seats fold down flat. Comfortable for a small car. 27mpg 65/35 city/hwy. Less if more city, can push 30 if more hwy. Did a 1,200 mile trip and kept the cruise at 66 as much a possible and got over 35mpg! Been reliable so far.

The complaints I've seen are true. Engine is coarse and the cabin is a bit loud, but doesn't bother me. Got a few rattles in the plastic interior. The plastic on the inside of the doors, and the back seats when folded down, scratch easily and show it. Stereo is ok sounding at best.

BEST OVER ALL CAR!!!
By Robert

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Toyota, never really liked them until I got mine and Toyota has me sold for life. Great car all around, comfort is ok, like others, back seat can be a little more confy and I have to issues with the driver side. Great acceleration for a small 1.8l vvt-I four banger. I put in a cold air intake and got better mpg and performance. I also love the looks better than the 09, don't like the new design. Have not had any issues with it at all. I got mine in the speedway blue metallic color and everyone compliments me for it, great color. Car handles very well on curves and ride quality isn't bad for a small compact. I only wish I had gotten the awd when they offered it, I hate my self 4 that.

Styling, gas mileage, performance, quality, ok comfort, not bad. REALLY FUN TO DRIVE and SHOW OFF. Anyone that talks smack about it, dosen't understand cars, it's a great car for the price and what it is.

SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE AWD!!!

Love My Matix
By R P Foster

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I truly love my Matrix. A friend of mine bought a 2007 XR and she loves it. I am 6ft7in tall and weigh 276lbs. I have great head and leg room. Also the body style seems to sit higher than a standard car and this makes it easier to get in and out of. We have made 2 trips to Gulf Shores AL and found it to be a pleasure to drive.

Moonroof, adjustable seats and steering wheel

Ipod dock and GPS system

Loved my Matrix
By Speedster Girl

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was a previous Honda Civic owner when I purchased my Matrix for increased versatility. I found the car to be comfortable, roomy (for me at 5ft10in and my husband at 6ft3in), a blast to drive, and great for hauling anything I wanted to put in it. I also learned recently that the Matrix is also a very safe car. I was in a front-end collision with a Suburban the other day. I estimate the impact was at ~50mph. The car is a total loss, but I walked away with nothing but a scratch and few bruises (mostly from the seat belt). I would buy another '08 Matrix in a second if I could. It's a bummer the '09s are less fuel efficient.

The turning radius is mind-blowingly small, large cargo and passenger space, versatile and peppy little car that was so fun to drive. I'm so sad my Matrix is gone.

Increased gas mileage! Maybe a hybrid version?