2008 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Nice little versatile car
By mtmatrix on 01/16/09 07:55 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Matrix for just over a year now. It's a great little drive. Combined mileage is 28 mpg for my automatic. I get plenty of power for highway acceleration. I coach soccer and the hatchback lets me haul all my gear, including 5 foot corner flags. The fact that you can fold down just part of the back seat is very convenient. My only issue is the driver's seat back support. I'm used to a minivan with big soft comfortable seats.

Great Car
By RIDG3RUNN3R on 11/06/08 14:13 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have put 15k on my matrix already in 5 months. We have been up and down the east coast, including snow in the Adirondacks this November. I have camped out of it on several occasions. This vehicle is a very reliable and versatile machine. I recommend it to anyone. Competes with any Subaru, if it isn't better. I have carried canoes, bikes, kayaks and skis. It handles well even fully loaded.

Just an Awesome Car!
By angelofmusic5583 on 07/30/08 23:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have been wanting a Matrix for the last two or three years, and I finally got one at the end of 2007! It is the best car I have ever owned, and it is so much fun to drive! I don't regret for minute buying it, and not only is is sporty and cute, it's very comfortable! I'm 5'4, but I have people who are over 6'0 tall riding in my care on a regular basis, and they all agree it is comfortable as well! This is my first Toyota, and I believe they have me for life now!

Good gas mileage but over rated.
By GMB on 07/05/08 10:23 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car. She bought it for the gas mileage which is good. As far as driving and comfort it does not have it. For a teenager this would be a great first car but I'm 6'2 and long legged. Trying to back up is hard cause you can't see out the back. If you don't know how to use mirrors to back up your in trouble.

My aching back and shoulders
By Nicki on 06/28/08 11:26 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I wanted a matrix for so long! I was so excited to finally get one! Unfortunately that excitement is turning into misery. First off, I'm not terribly picky. I've never considered a little road noise to be an issue or felt the need to drive a car with the high end comfort. Comfort was something I completely took for granted, until now, The steering position is so awkward! I have the seat all the way forward, but still I must reach for the wheel. This puts a lot of strain on my shoulders. And something is not right about the head rests, they push my head FOREWARD! The passenger seat and back seats aren't bad, just the drivers seat. As for road/wind noise, It's really bad.

Love my 08 Matrix XR!
By George O'Conner on 06/25/08 18:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great fuel economy, good leg room, lots of storage slots, and great stereo speakers. It has awesome fuel economy for a mid size car, roomy, and handles well. Also it is fun to drive and handles curves and turns well. I gave a 9 for comfort because the ride is a little rough, but not horrible. Still pretty good. I gave an 8 for interior and exterior design because Toyota didn't do much to re-design the 06 and 07 models of the Matrix. Overall I am happy with this car!

Great dog & adventure-mobile!
By wawoof on 06/25/08 12:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We decided to replace our 2002 Subaru Legacy wagon (EPA: 18/25) with a more fuel-efficient car. We went with the Matrix because it was the most fuel-efficient, economical, and reliable car we could find that would fit a large dog in the back. Great dog car! The dog barrier screws into the back of the rear seat - much more secure than any other dog barrier I've encountered. The plastic lining the cargo area is SO much easier to clean than the carpet in other cars. It even came with a bunch of useful nets and screws to organize the cargo area. Perfect car for us and our dogs. And I love how all the seats on the passenger side fold down and the rear window opens to accommodate long items.

So far, so good
By Lee on 06/04/08 11:11 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I recently totalled my '02 Pathfinder and settled on the Matrix. I like the seats but the door's arm-rest does not accommodate my long arms. The vehicle was a good choice for me after considering a lot of other vehicles, it was the best overall purchase for the money.

Great mileage for suv alternative
By r1114h on 06/02/08 12:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

With gas prices soaring, had to trade in my 07 4dr tacoma. Didn't make sense for 50 mile daily commute anymore. Even in Atlanta traffic, I still manage 30-32 mpg with an xr automatic. Granted I'm not driving aggressively or rarely top 60 mph. First vacation trip this week with 3 people, luggage, running air & 65-70 mph - got 34.5 mpg. I've never got under 30 in 3 months of owning so far, beating the window sticker. Still able to pack enough with wagon like features.

I Love this economical sweetheart!
By Nina Wilson on 05/18/08 01:59 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 4th Toyota and I have been blessed with economical bliss with this vehicle just like the others. This is a car that works hard all day and then cleans up easily to play in the evening. Sharp looking. Back seats folds flat to make a level cargo area. Will carry 5 people comfortably and gear in the back cargo area.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.