2008 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
So far, so good
By satisfied9 on 06/22/11 05:12 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Driven it for 2 weeks and it's OK so far. 1) It has adequate acceleration despite having only a 1.8L engine (no cargo/people). 2) Dashboard gauges OK except reading speed gets a little fuzzy when between 60 & 80 (only in increments of 20) so you may have to glance at it more then once (distracting) if you don't want to go over the limit. 3) Location of transmission stick is too close to climate control knobs especially when in park (no hand room) 4) Daylight running headlights (dashboard light) always on which I found annoying/confusing but getting use to. Considering getting it disabled if I go with better bulbs for night driving. 5) Noisy/feel road when driving - tolerable

Great Car but too much Air Noise
By Beverly on 06/24/10 20:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great Car, but too much air noise. Instead of feeling like I am riding in a 19,000 car. I feel like I bought a 13,000 car. I feel like I need $6,000 in change. Other than that it is a great car.

Mighty Matrix
By Larry Brixey on 03/10/10 10:30 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our Matrix because my wife fell in love with the design. After test driving it, we were sold on the leg and headroom. It was sluggish getting onto the freeway, so i went down to the local auto parts store and got a K&N air filter and it made an extreme difference. It has immediate acceleration and getting on the freeway is not a problem whatsoever! We are getting 35 MPG and it runs like a Toyota should. I would Highly recommend the K&N Air Filter! It makes a BIG difference.

POOR RIDE QUALITY
By animalshack252 on 02/23/10 16:30 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought car with 20K in june 09 now has 85K february 10 car has been reliable and good for delivery purposes, not comfortable to ride in at all would not buy another, goes through brakes more than average vehicle, think next time i will go back to honda. this car stinks in the snow so don't buy if you have to climb hills

A great upgrade from a 96 geo tracker
By dlbrooks on 01/18/10 16:58 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

When I purchased my Matrix I was looking for something that would be good on gas and my dog could fit in. Well I got both. I figured that the car would do well in the snow being front wheel. We had a big snow storm recently and I wasn't impressed how the car handled itself. I did not feel safe driving in the snow and ice. Other than that this car is perfect for me, my husband and dog. It will hold all kinds of things in the cargo area with the back seat still up!! I purchased the dog gate and it works great. Everyone who has seen my car or rode in it love it. They rave about it. I might however buy a 4wdrive in the near future for safety reasons only.

Took awhile, but now I love mine.
By WhoMe? on 07/21/09 18:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was a died-in-the-wool Honda guy, driving my second Accord (an '89) into the ground, so I really pictured myself in a Fit. But the black- interior only, no-sunroof, constraints knocked them out. I got busted for DUI the third night I had it, and it cast a real pall over that wonderful "new car" feeling. (I'm not a bad guy... it's a long story). Anyway - LOVE it now. They finally fixed a minor rumble/rattle from the back that I lived with the first year, and it looks like new and suits me to a T. I bought it specifically for hauling things with the seats down, and it's great - the cargo nets help a lot.

Matrix 08--so far so good
By matrixdriver on 06/20/09 16:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I needed the most fuel efficient car I could find that could still carry a bunch of stuff. There were some good hybrid options, but they were too pricey and I'm unsure about the battery technology. So, I checked out the Matrix, Fit, and Mazda 3. They are all good cars that would have worked, but I went with the Matrix because I got a pretty good price, got a long warranty, and it had all the features I needed. Had a little more space than the Fit and was more comfortable in the driving position. I was also hoping to have something very reliable, and Toyota along with the Corolla this is based on, seemed perfect. 23,000 miles in it still seems like the right choice.

BEST OVER ALL CAR!!!
By Robert on 03/15/09 21:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Toyota, never really liked them until I got mine and Toyota has me sold for life. Great car all around, comfort is ok, like others, back seat can be a little more confy and I have to issues with the driver side. Great acceleration for a small 1.8l vvt-I four banger. I put in a cold air intake and got better mpg and performance. I also love the looks better than the 09, don't like the new design. Have not had any issues with it at all. I got mine in the speedway blue metallic color and everyone compliments me for it, great color. Car handles very well on curves and ride quality isn't bad for a small compact. I only wish I had gotten the awd when they offered it, I hate my self 4 that.

Love My Matix
By R P Foster on 03/05/09 21:54 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I truly love my Matrix. A friend of mine bought a 2007 XR and she loves it. I am 6ft7in tall and weigh 276lbs. I have great head and leg room. Also the body style seems to sit higher than a standard car and this makes it easier to get in and out of. We have made 2 trips to Gulf Shores AL and found it to be a pleasure to drive.

Loved my Matrix
By Speedster Girl on 03/05/09 11:57 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was a previous Honda Civic owner when I purchased my Matrix for increased versatility. I found the car to be comfortable, roomy (for me at 5ft10in and my husband at 6ft3in), a blast to drive, and great for hauling anything I wanted to put in it. I also learned recently that the Matrix is also a very safe car. I was in a front-end collision with a Suburban the other day. I estimate the impact was at ~50mph. The car is a total loss, but I walked away with nothing but a scratch and few bruises (mostly from the seat belt). I would buy another '08 Matrix in a second if I could. It's a bummer the '09s are less fuel efficient.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.