Used 2008 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

So far, so good
By satisfied9

2008 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Driven it for 2 weeks and it's OK so far. 1) It has adequate acceleration despite having only a 1.8L engine (no cargo/people). 2) Dashboard gauges OK except reading speed gets a little fuzzy when between 60 & 80 (only in increments of 20) so you may have to glance at it more then once (distracting) if you don't want to go over the limit. 3) Location of transmission stick is too close to climate control knobs especially when in park (no hand room) 4) Daylight running headlights (dashboard light) always on which I found annoying/confusing but getting use to. Considering getting it disabled if I go with better bulbs for night driving. 5) Noisy/feel road when driving - tolerable

1. Toyota's reliability despite recent gas pedal recall. 2. Cargo room with seats folded down 3. Decent gas mileage w/ soaring gas prices, getting 29-30 mpg on highway

Suprised that anti-lock brakes was not standard (optional) on 2008 Matrix (base).

Great Car but too much Air Noise
By Beverly

2008 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great Car, but too much air noise. Instead of feeling like I am riding in a 19,000 car. I feel like I bought a 13,000 car. I feel like I need $6,000 in change. Other than that it is a great car.

Pick up and handling.

Fix Road noise.

Mighty Matrix
By Larry Brixey

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our Matrix because my wife fell in love with the design. After test driving it, we were sold on the leg and headroom. It was sluggish getting onto the freeway, so i went down to the local auto parts store and got a K&N air filter and it made an extreme difference. It has immediate acceleration and getting on the freeway is not a problem whatsoever! We are getting 35 MPG and it runs like a Toyota should. I would Highly recommend the K&N Air Filter! It makes a BIG difference.

Love the storage room in back! I'm 6'2" and have plenty of leg and head room.

The only one thing i would suggest is that they do something about the rattles towards the front grill area.Something rattles when we first start the vehicle.

POOR RIDE QUALITY
By animalshack252

2008 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought car with 20K in june 09 now has 85K february 10 car has been reliable and good for delivery purposes, not comfortable to ride in at all would not buy another, goes through brakes more than average vehicle, think next time i will go back to honda. this car stinks in the snow so don't buy if you have to climb hills

exterior appearance

suspension, interior design and comfort

A great upgrade from a 96 geo tracker
By dlbrooks

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

When I purchased my Matrix I was looking for something that would be good on gas and my dog could fit in. Well I got both. I figured that the car would do well in the snow being front wheel. We had a big snow storm recently and I wasn't impressed how the car handled itself. I did not feel safe driving in the snow and ice. Other than that this car is perfect for me, my husband and dog. It will hold all kinds of things in the cargo area with the back seat still up!! I purchased the dog gate and it works great. Everyone who has seen my car or rode in it love it. They rave about it. I might however buy a 4wdrive in the near future for safety reasons only.

Size of car is perfect. Great heater and air cond. Seats sit up higher so you are not sitting on the floor. great view while in driving seat

Sun roof rattled, took it in to get fixed. Inside the car rattles quite a bit right after we purchased it. Car only had eight miles on it. Front end shocks broke within a year and caused horrible clunking sound. Took in to be fixed. Heater control in the way when the shifter is in park.