2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Practical Alternative
By planettom on 10/30/06 09:10 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My third day in this car, and I love it! This car truly is a very practical alternative to the SUV. It's fun to drive, and styling is good. Very roomy interior and plenty of room for cargo. I drove a mid-size SUV for years, but honestly, I don't have kids and I'm not hauling lumber, so why waste the money on an SUV. I'm very happy with my Matrix.

Matrix Overview
By Kiana on 10/25/06 06:31 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Rides like a truck. The gas pedal is very touchy. Easy to squeal tires when trying to enter into traffic. Price was right. Interior looks cheap. Excellent stereo system compared to most vehicles.

Satisfied
By Richard on 10/16/06 20:39 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2007 Matrix XR at the end of August. I wanted a car with a reliable reputation and ABS that went a bit beyond the Corolla that has been in the family for the last 5 years without any problems. I carefully read all reviews and find the car (to date) worth the investment. The fold down seats in the back are an advantage when the extra space is needed. Gas mileage (open road -36/37 mpg); city and open road about 27) is very good. I recently had the opportunity to drive my sons 2000 BMW 320i. I found the Matrix to be better handling; of course he can get to 40 mph or more in a 35 mph zone faster.

Can't beat it
By thebigv21 on 09/25/06 18:04 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded a Pilot that got 18 mpg in on this Matrix for the same reason as everyone else. I have only owned it a week so some of the ratings of 9 are minor things, really not worth mentioning in detail. A squeak here and there on the interior but overall a solid vehicle. I was amazed at the room inside. Being 6'4", I couldn't believe the room. I am looking forward to driving by the gas stations. I am curious to see though how it does in the snow. Overall, a positive experience and I would recommend this car to anyone.

A Very Good Buy
By Littleshoes on 09/20/06 20:35 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After 1,000 miles, I have no regrets. Bought for its gas mileage and versatile interior which are even better than I expected. Ave. 29 mpg local and 37 mpg highway. Driver's seat is high, but I'm short so its fine. Added side air bags, stability and traction control, ABS, window tint and leather seats. The versatile interior is great whether carrying groceries or lumber. A more powerful engine would be nice, but I'll take the mpg. A comfortable car mostly driven locally. I have no doubt this was an excellent purchase.

2007 Matrix XR
By jim g on 09/12/06 09:29 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Couldn't be happier with the 2007 Matriz XR. It replaced a mini-van and instantly doubled the mpg, fun-factor, and versatility.

An efficient compromise
By Buckeye on 09/08/06 14:16 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I agree with the previous review that the Matrix is possibly the best compromise in size, comfort, fuel economy and handling. Zippier than the bigger beast I drove before, but definitely not the greatest sports-car handling. Love the storage and gas mileage. Put my bike in the back on its side with the seats down without removing the front wheel. I upgraded to get the side airbags. Stereo is excellent. Great for mostly city driving, with lots of potholes and stop-and-go driving. Plenty of headroom, but for someone 6'1" I'd rather sit an inch or two lower than the seat will go. Still breaking it in--but I've only filled up the tank once in the past month. THAT I can live with!

07 Matrix
By aaabutch on 09/03/06 15:44 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first car since 1972 or so, I can't remember, and that was a Toyota Corolla/great car that gave me 41 MPG on highways thru Texas. Great car and I never forgot it. I have been driving vans and trucks since and this year we decided to by a car and I went to the Corolla first and then to all the competitors too I test drove them all and wound up with the Matrix, drives like the Corolla and had tons of room with seats that go down and even the front passenger seat goes down. To make a long story short we love the Matrix and our first tank of gas on the highway with the air going did 37.3 MPG Next tank was city at 30. Third tank 33 city & hway. What can I say.

The Perfect Solution
By SHINDIG on 08/27/06 22:05 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The Matrix is quite possibly the best compromise in size, comfort, fuel economy, and good looks. A quiet and smooth drive, with "peppy" acceleration I did not expect from the horsepower ratings. Great fuel economy (28.5 mpg in 80/20 city/hwy driving), and spacious interior. This was my SUV "alternative," and so far, so great. I'm personally a big fan of the exterior styling, although the interior dash could use a "refreshing" a la the new Camry. Toyota quality is excellent - the doors close with a solid "thwump" - not that empty, hollow-door feeling.

Best Mini-Ute You Can Buy!
By hands on 08/16/06 18:55 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

A true Toyota. Solid build quality, cutting edge styling and outstanding fuel economy. Already averaging over 30 mpg and it's not broken in yet! Cut my gas bill in half instantly! Comfortable, excellent stereo and tons of fun to drive. Pinch me!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.