2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews 6

2007 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

2007 Matrix Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
5 speed Matrix
By BEADIE

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Matrix is a Corolla wagon and is very similar to the Dodge Vibe. It has been a fun car to drive. What it lacks in power it makes up for in gas mileage. The interior of the hatch-back trunk is plastic so things can easily slide around. There are nets but we bought a mat that has helped to keep things from sliding around.

Favorite Features

The seats can go down in the forward direction. The manual is nice because we did not like the way the automatic shifted gears and it saves more on gas.

Suggested Improvements

The antenna is on the rear roof. This is not a good place if you plan on using a rack.

Matrix XR
By Brian

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Car handles pretty well. Also pretty generic looking car with number of issues. 1) My new car dash rattles ( I know, take it to the dealer). 2) 4 speaker stereo is bad, you can't hear it when sitting on back seats. Back seats are very uncomfortable, too. 3) Interior seat covers cheap. 4) Outside paint is very thin and pretty easy to scratch.

Favorite Features

Room, suspension, etc

Practical Alternative
By planettom

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My third day in this car, and I love it! This car truly is a very practical alternative to the SUV. It's fun to drive, and styling is good. Very roomy interior and plenty of room for cargo. I drove a mid-size SUV for years, but honestly, I don't have kids and I'm not hauling lumber, so why waste the money on an SUV. I'm very happy with my Matrix.

Favorite Features

Daytime running lights, dash board configuration, many storage compartments, cupholders, cargo area, glass hatch pop, Very happy with this car.

Suggested Improvements

MP3 jack, speed control radio volume would be nice, center AC knob is hard to reach when in Park. Power mirrors should be standard.

Matrix Overview
By Kiana

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Rides like a truck. The gas pedal is very touchy. Easy to squeal tires when trying to enter into traffic. Price was right. Interior looks cheap. Excellent stereo system compared to most vehicles.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality. Rear cargo space. Larger console. Smooth out the ride.

Satisfied
By Richard

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2007 Matrix XR at the end of August. I wanted a car with a reliable reputation and ABS that went a bit beyond the Corolla that has been in the family for the last 5 years without any problems. I carefully read all reviews and find the car (to date) worth the investment. The fold down seats in the back are an advantage when the extra space is needed. Gas mileage (open road -36/37 mpg); city and open road about 27) is very good. I recently had the opportunity to drive my sons 2000 BMW 320i. I found the Matrix to be better handling; of course he can get to 40 mph or more in a 35 mph zone faster.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and handling with wide profile tires are among my favorite features. Also, the height of the driver's seat provides a positive SUV feel. Storage space is a plus along with the braking and air system. All Matrix owners I have encountered say the car is great.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise reduction with the moon roof open on the highway needs attention. A redesigned dash board would add class to the car. A rattle from the moon roof inside cover needs attention when the car goes for service. Overall, to date, I am satisfied with the Matrix.

Can't beat it
By thebigv21

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded a Pilot that got 18 mpg in on this Matrix for the same reason as everyone else. I have only owned it a week so some of the ratings of 9 are minor things, really not worth mentioning in detail. A squeak here and there on the interior but overall a solid vehicle. I was amazed at the room inside. Being 6'4", I couldn't believe the room. I am looking forward to driving by the gas stations. I am curious to see though how it does in the snow. Overall, a positive experience and I would recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Interior room in the front seat. Glow of interior at night. Automatic lights. 4 Cyl has a surprising amt of zip.

Suggested Improvements

Put a homelink garage door opener. Include floormats and cargo mat in the price. Dealer threw in mats but shouldn't have to. Have bigger cupholders in the front. Climate control.

A Very Good Buy
By Littleshoes

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After 1,000 miles, I have no regrets. Bought for its gas mileage and versatile interior which are even better than I expected. Ave. 29 mpg local and 37 mpg highway. Driver's seat is high, but I'm short so its fine. Added side air bags, stability and traction control, ABS, window tint and leather seats. The versatile interior is great whether carrying groceries or lumber. A more powerful engine would be nice, but I'll take the mpg. A comfortable car mostly driven locally. I have no doubt this was an excellent purchase.

Favorite Features

Visibility, easy to read dash, auto. driving lights, folding seat versatility for carrying large items

Suggested Improvements

electric front seats would be a nice option for older buyers; cargo mat needs to be standard-items sliding on the vinyl can be irritating and noisy.

2007 Matrix XR
By jim g

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Couldn't be happier with the 2007 Matriz XR. It replaced a mini-van and instantly doubled the mpg, fun-factor, and versatility.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage was the primary reason for purchasing; the overall performance and appearance as well as eye-appeal were frosting on the cake.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota just needs to keep doing what they're doing. Why fix what isn't broken?

An efficient compromise
By Buckeye

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I agree with the previous review that the Matrix is possibly the best compromise in size, comfort, fuel economy and handling. Zippier than the bigger beast I drove before, but definitely not the greatest sports-car handling. Love the storage and gas mileage. Put my bike in the back on its side with the seats down without removing the front wheel. I upgraded to get the side airbags. Stereo is excellent. Great for mostly city driving, with lots of potholes and stop-and-go driving. Plenty of headroom, but for someone 6'1" I'd rather sit an inch or two lower than the seat will go. Still breaking it in--but I've only filled up the tank once in the past month. THAT I can live with!

Favorite Features

Safety (airbags, antilock brakes), 6-cd stereo, storage and folding seats, automatic headlights, city gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Allow the seat to be adjusted lower, more adjustment in the steering wheel, heated seats, leather seats, MP3 jack.

07 Matrix
By aaabutch

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first car since 1972 or so, I can't remember, and that was a Toyota Corolla/great car that gave me 41 MPG on highways thru Texas. Great car and I never forgot it. I have been driving vans and trucks since and this year we decided to by a car and I went to the Corolla first and then to all the competitors too I test drove them all and wound up with the Matrix, drives like the Corolla and had tons of room with seats that go down and even the front passenger seat goes down. To make a long story short we love the Matrix and our first tank of gas on the highway with the air going did 37.3 MPG Next tank was city at 30. Third tank 33 city & hway. What can I say.

Favorite Features

I guess the seats and all the room in the back. Nice cruise contol I use it a lot and keeps the engine rpms low adds to the gas economy.

Suggested Improvements

Mirrors a bit small and I added spots to them.