Used 2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Fun and practical at the same time!
By bwat

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased our Matrix this summer to replace our aging and unreliable Plymouth. It has been a great decision so far. We have taken it on several weekend trips and it is a great travel car. Lots of room in the back for the bags and the dog! It has also been useful in around town driving. The fold down seats in the back are one of the car's best features. We never need worry about bringing home bulky items. I don't find problems with highway driving that others have mentioned. No issues with wind or milage. We average 30-31 mpg around town and 40+mpg on the hwy. Though heavy traffic or driving consistently above 65 mph drasitcaly reduces fuel economy.

Exterior styling, cargo space, interior versatility, fuel milage. We especially like the fold flat seats.

Radio! We optioned for the radio upgrade and I am still disappointed with it. No mp3 or aux imputs in particlar. Even Toyota's cheaper Yaris and Scion models and comparable Corolla offered a better radio. Also not infatuated with the looks of the instrument cluster, but it has grown on me some.

Very happy with it!
By Pogradeci

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After having been driven an Aurora and spending thousands of dollars on gas and repair, I decided to buy a Toyota car. Since my 1st choice the Prius was a little over my budget, decided to go with the Matrix. Bottom line I am very happy with my choice. The car is easy to drive, has a lot of cargo space and I spend much less time at the gas pump.

Very good fuel efficiency, easy to drive, lots of room, looks cool, Great visibility.

I wish the ABS came standard.

Great Little Car
By BLC

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Has plenty of headroom. I get about 29 mpg. Vehicle has smooth ride and is very comfortable. I get a lot of compliments on the vehicle. Interior is spacious and controls are easy to access. Stereo/CD system is awesome. It is just a great all around vehicle.

Spacious interior and fold down rear seats.

Good City/Town Car
By mtdriver1

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After 11,500 miles the Matrix is finally broken in enough to review it. The usable space is fantastic. It has plenty of zip for city/town driving (especially w/ TRD performance filter). Ours is loaded as possible w/ sunroof, wheels, upgrade stereo, ABS, airbag package, trim package, etc. These cars look silly w/o the extra trim IMO. My disappointment rests in the cars rattles in the dash and elsewhere. Way too new for this, and whatever happened to legendary fit and finish. Lousy Gdyr tires and their harsh ride had some to do w/ onset of rattles (better ride and fewer rattles now w/ Michelin tires), but it's still no excuse. Best mileage thus far has been 33 mpg (highway), disappointed.

Convienence of hatchback and awesome storage. Sunroof. Good space for all passengers. Good zip around town. Decent stereo.

I don't like this car on hwy and interstate because of its tendency to get blown around and the loud wind noise generated. Its shape, while attractive, is so broadsided that wind gusts from the side will really move the car. Better stock tires are also a must. Finally, mileage should be in high 30s

Fun, economical and practical
By dbentley3

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

At the risk of sounding like all the rest, this car is fun to drive. It's a great car for the practical value- seeker that wants a decent level of extras without settling on an "econo- box". The XR sport package gives it just enough style to stand-out and satisfy the sport-minded. Mind you, the true sports-car enthusiasts aren't even looking at this car...this is a car for the person that wants a basic car with a little bit of everything and an emphasis on fuel economy. I've been getting 34mpg in my 1st 4500 miles on a 70-mile/day commute in mixed traffic conditions.

Tight steering, peppy pick-up. Comfortable seating. Super cargo versatility. Moonroof and ventilation are very good. I'm sensitive to claustrophia and this car feels open and airy. Quiet compared to my former Honda CR-V.

Rear cargo area needs a standard rubber mat to prevent cargo sliding and scratches. Seat fabric is a bit rough. The addition of the moonroof reduces head clearance a bit. I'm 5'11" and don't have a problem but a coworker is 6'1" and comes close to brushing the moonroof opening. MP3 jack needed.