2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews 5

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2007 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Fantastic Little Car!
By Nicole922 on 04/16/07 17:11 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I can't say enough good things about this car! I've had it since December, and already put almost 8000 miles on it! The gas mileage is amazing (~35 miles to the gallon) on the beltway. The design and handling are great! It's a smooth ride, and there is more than enough room for myself and my family of four! More cargo room than any of the other "wagons" out there, and it's a cute sporty mom car for the young at heart who aren't ready to graduate to the minivans, but also not willing to suffer the cost of fuel in an SUV!

Bye Bye Jeep!
By Bye Bye Jeep on 02/24/07 06:00 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have only owned my Matrix a week, but it is fantastic! I traded a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I thought I would miss the 4X4 and size. No way! This Matrix has already pulled itself through the snow, is a joy to drive, reliable, and the gas savings is amazing! I also got everything that I had in the Jeep into the Matrix. Yes, it is smaller and the steering wheel is a bit closer to the dashboard than I am used to, but it is worth getting used to it over time. Definitely check this car out! You won't be disappointed!

Meets most of my needs
By Up-the-River on 02/17/07 06:04 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Matrix XR replaced a Honda driven 10 yr, 250k and loved. I have yet to develop same affection for Matrix. After 10k it seems reliable, functional, economical, fun to drive. 5 sp shift is smooth but has a unique click sound each shift. Some design features are at times inconvenient or annoying. Visibility out side and back suffers. Front and rear seat headrests are always in way, same for body/roof posts. Warning signal for unbuckled seatbelts is loud, obnoxious. Why all the noise when passenger unbuckles to remove coat or briefcase or box is on passenger seat? And panic button on the key fob is horribly designed. How many times have I accidentally set it off? Please don't ask my neighbors!

Practical fun
By pohaku on 02/16/07 22:24 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

So many practical reasons to own this car: excellent gas mileage, lots of cargo room, Toyota reliability, flat-folding seats. But what sold me on it was that it's just a fun car to drive. The handling is enjoyable, the engine is more willing than its 126 hp would imply, the interior is cockpit-ish, the 6-cd sound system is decent, the seats are comfy with cool fabric, and the ride is nicer than the competition's. It's a nice mix of good stuff for the money. I was considering a Civic, but the Matrix had more cargo space, a nicer ride, a nicer interior, and was way more fun to drive. The auto I test drove was good, but I recommend a manual trans with any small engine.

Many have not had a truck!
By Dr K on 01/08/07 21:15 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Have to laugh re: those people complaining about "rides like a truck". Probably most have not HAD a truck. Definite car-like ride, I have 1,000 miles. No rattles, good layout inside (agree with the remark about the blower speed knob in front of transmission lever when in "park", although one would usually use the a/c when driving). Handles well, good acceleration for this type, no tire squealing, no rattles, and I like the styling better than the pontiac Vibe. Good stereo, I have the ABS and sunroof too. I got it for cargo space, flexibility, and true hiway mpg of over 35 (31 around town) .Mostly I use my motorcycle but sometimes I need a car, and a Corolla underneath - great.

Rented for 600 miles in 3 days
By saidiadude on 01/06/07 11:09 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Rented a brand new '06 Matrix (1K miles) on a vacation trip. We were thinking of buying one, so it was a great to test one out for an extended period of time. Gas mileage was great, but it lacked power (was very loud as it kicked into lower gears on hills - 2 people and luggage), accelerator was very sensitive, and the interior felt very cheap. Seats were comfortable for a few hours but sagged after a while. Should be OK for local commutes. Exterior shape is pleasing to the eye but put together cheaply. We hit a small pothole at low speed (5mph) and one side of the front air dam popped off. Found out that it was held together by plastic screws when I went to snap it back together!

What a great car!
By rollcar on 12/26/06 18:16 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have two kids, and this car fits my family perfectly. Cavernous? No, but plenty large for a family of four and everything that travels with it. I love the comfortable seats, the high seating position, the interior space (headroom in particular) and the incredible gas mileage. You won't find a better value in this price range, all things considered.

Second Review. Got rid of it.
By Thebigv21 on 11/26/06 14:20 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

While the gas mileage was a definite plus, the lack of power in this vehicle and the size of other vehicles when driving the Matrix, made me get rid of it. I didn't have any problems with it mechanically. I guess the 4 cyl ran as it was supposed to. I haven't had a 4 cyl for years so maybe it is just me, but the car lacks power and is loud. Low profile made for uneasiness driving in rainy weather. Being in Western PA, I felt that I should get rid of it for when it snows.

Love it
By Toti Shahin on 11/20/06 13:32 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After my 98 Pontiac Sunfire became too expensive to fix, I had no choice but to purchase the Matrix XR, 2007, sport suspension. After driving it for almost two weeks now, I can say I like the handling, the way it drives around the corners, good mileage, roomy inside. The only thing annoying is sometimes something rattles from the dashboard, but I can put up with it. I wish it had more power going uphill, but then again I like my mpg (actually around 30). I like to drive fast.

Love It
By Toy4T on 11/17/06 10:32 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I only have 200 miles on my Matrix XR but I already love it. The seat are high which is great. I can drive next to the smaller SUVs and the seats are just as high as the person next to me but the car is smaller. The seats are amazingly comfortable in front... back seats too. I love my Matrix.