Used 2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Every Car Should Be This Fun To Drive
By canoe_junkie

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The fact that I put on over 24k in the first year of ownership should tell you how much I like this car. My highway mileage when keeping the car between 65-70 has been routinely 38 mpg. In town, 29 mpg. In terms of "fun to drive factor", this car has not disappointed. By fun, I don't mean lots of torque. Think nimble, like a Mini Cooper or other small wheel base car with perhaps a little more oomph. The power is more than acceptable for a commuter car. The capacity is deceiving, with the seats down, I fit 8' lumber with no prob. Headroom is excellent, my 6'5" friend sits inside with room to spare. DIY maintenance has been easy with only oil & filt change and tire rotation every 5k.

Favorite Features

Mileage. Reliability. Capacity. The fact that I still smile everytime I drive it. Capability in snow & rain. Mine is 2WD, and I still take it off- road & have needed to winch it out only once. I love the styling, I looked at its sister, The Vibe, but it didn't do it for me. Tires have nice grip.

Suggested Improvements

I researched this car for over 2 years and went to buy an AWD model, but it was discontinued in 06. Dissapointing. I am 5-10 and had to get used to the close seating position, it needs telesc steering if your over 5-6. 4" more in the hatch width would allow 4' cargo. Cargo surface scratches easy

Just a Nice Little Car
By car crazy

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have loved driving my Matrix on trips and around town. The gas mileage is OK. This is my fifth toyota and I find myself constantly comparing, which I should not do. I find that there is a lot of room especially when the rear seats are down. A mat would have been nice to cover the whole cargo area. I have read many revues on the car but have not yet seen my pet peave yet, which is a roof rack. It is so very expensive to fit this car with a roof rack. I cannot believe it's not an option. But I guess, given the overall performance, gas mileage and especially the handling, it still comes in as a number one car for me.

Favorite Features

Steering, handling, looks, interior design, stereo, dash lights at night.

Suggested Improvements

I would love to see this car with a roof rack as an option. So many people like myself travel with families and animals (I have two large dogs that take up the entire cargo area), that we need a place for luggage.

All around hit
By Afield

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first new car purchase since 1994! I love my Matrix!! I never thought I'd be able to afford the car I wanted but the Matrix was both affordable and comfortable. It's a great car for tailgating and for all my gardening adventures because it just wipes clean.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the comfortable adjustable driver's seat, I love the way it can be raised up (I'm short) as well as forward and back.

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo system would be great. I'm a real music person so an upgrade is due very soon.

07 matrix
By gjens

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Might be a little under powered but a real fun car to drive. Auto, power windows, air, etc. I love hatchbacks, it has an extra wide opening and I can get all kinds of unconventional shape gear inside.

Favorite Features

The rear seat lies perfectly flat and the high ceiling.

Suggested Improvements

More horse power.

Nice car, but last Toyota
By Ralphus

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is a nice car. Excellent mileage, easy to drive, comfortable, for a small car. Lots of road noise, but it's a small car. The deal killer for me, is you can't lock the doors with the remote if the door(s) are open. You get home from shopping, it's raining, you have to get out, unload your stuff in the puddle filled driveway, getting your stuff soaked, fish your keys out of your pocket, lock the car, and get your stuff. Had I known about this "feature", I would have not bought this car. Instead of pushing the button, you have to hold the button on the remote to open the glass hatch. It's faster to use the key. Bad design choices.

Favorite Features

Great mileage! Easy to drive. Roomy enough inside, for a 6'4" 350lbs man and an 80lbs German Shepard.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the problems with the remote keylock. Add more sound absorption to knock down the road noise.