2007 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Great Car!
By Bill C. on 08/08/07 09:48 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The Toyota Matrix is a great car for both versatility and fuel mileage. The hatchback is very convenient, great for hauling the family around and a trip to the hardware store. I generally get 27 to 29 MPG averaging 40 miles an hour to and from work. Highway is better, city is a little worse. Car has great pickup and is definitely fun to drive. Looks great too. I would strongly recommend the premium package with sunroof as it is a great deal for the money. Have driven almost 21,000 miles in less than a year and still love the car and plan on keeping for a long time. Road noise can be a problem but you get used to it. It is very hard to find other faults with this car. Handles nice too.

Very impressed so far!
By parbri on 07/07/07 20:44 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Life long full size pickup owner here, but decided to commit to reduced fuel use. I parked my full size pickup and purchased this for a work vehicle. I farm for a living, and I was thinking of a Tacoma, but was not sure the mileage would be good enough to switch, so decided on the Matrix. Fuel mileage is 30-32 so far, on 1000 miles drive, with short distance on and off pavement driving. Loads of fun to drive as well! I couldn't be happier!

Go Matrix!!
By David on 06/24/07 17:14 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought ours despite all the reports that the steering wheel is too far away, etc. I am 6' 4" tall, (wife 5'4") and I am very comfortable in the front and rear of ours. My wife and 10 yr old daughter love it too. Our gas mileage runs about 27 overall, but our first trip got 38.5 MPG!! Beats the minivan we traded for it big time. We like the cargo room and are very familiar with the Toyota reliability. We are pleased in every way with this car, even on trips. We highly recommend any Toyota.

2007 Matrix
By Brianb on 06/07/07 08:37 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car because of Toyota reliability reputation and mileage. Use it mostly for running kids around town. It seems a little cheap inside for the cost but I'm used to nicer cars (Volvo/BMW).

Great Car!
By Scott on 06/06/07 18:29 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

So far I love this car. I downsized from a full size truck and was not sure if I would like it due to the size difference. But the money saved in gas says it all. This car is fun to drive. Even with a 1.8 under the hood it has a quick start. There is room for a family of 4 to fit. My son is 6 foot 2 inches and still has leg room when sitting behind me. Car has great cargo room. I love the fact the rear glass opens separately from the hatchback door if you need to haul something over 8 feet in length. I have only had this car for a week so I will be doing a follow up review in a few months.

Best XUV I could find
By PonyBoy on 06/04/07 21:30 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

If you're looking for a combination of cargo room, gas mileage, styling and performance this is the logical choice. More sporty looking than the Vibe in my opinion. If you want to look good while saving at the pump it's this or a mini-cooper. You can probably fit the mini-cooper in the back of your Matrix if you fold down your back seats, but all I need to fit inside is two bicycles, so no problem. If you're like most people and don't really need an SUV, this is the smart mpg alternative. The manual trans is more fun to drive, but I can eat better in traffic with the automatic. This is not a sports car, so don't expect pony car power, its fine especially compared with other 4 bangers.

Everything you'd expect
By XRdriver on 05/27/07 10:18 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

With the gas prices soaring, I decided to trade in my SUV and get something with better gas mileage. The snag was that I still wanted the cargo space that my SUV gave me. That is what lead me to the Matrix. Honestly it is doing the job in excellent fashion. I haven't had it for long, but I know that it will prove to be a good buy. The drive quality is good, and responsive, the handling is better than I had expected. All in all it has everything that I was looking for. I definitely reccomend this if you are looking for space, fuel economy, and a sporty good look all rolled into one reliable, affordable vehicle.

Quick and Nimble
By Out Door Guy on 05/27/07 07:37 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Got rid of my Nissan Pathfinder for this ride. I've put 800 miles on it so far without any problems. The manual tranny shift is at hand level which makes changing gears pretty effortless. Overall the vehicle is quite nimble and fun to drive although the engine is noisy in 1st and 2nd gear. Once up to speed it rides well. Mileage is a solid 26 city, 29 highway. As others have noted the suspension is stiff so when you hit a bump or pothole you feel it. As you know the storage is fantastic with hatchback convenience. If you haul a lot of outdoor gear like skiis, camping equipment or a bike this is the car for you.

First Month
By Fr4nk1yn on 04/30/07 19:26 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

With gas prices threatening to be higher than last year I decided I needed my highly modified Oldsmobile Cutlass to NOT be my daily driver. A fully loaded Yaris is a rarity, but a loaded Matrix M-Theory is not. Compared to others the options to price seem very good. The best mileage so far has been 28 mpg of combo driving. That was with the dealer's complimentary tank, which leads me to believe it was over filled slightly. 25 mpg is the norm. Performance is anything but. The engine is NOT performance oriented at all. If you want something quick this isn't it. However it does handle quite well. Ride is firm, sometimes harsh, but still comfortable. For looks and features I'd recommend it.

Fantastic Little Car!
By Nicole922 on 04/16/07 17:11 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I can't say enough good things about this car! I've had it since December, and already put almost 8000 miles on it! The gas mileage is amazing (~35 miles to the gallon) on the beltway. The design and handling are great! It's a smooth ride, and there is more than enough room for myself and my family of four! More cargo room than any of the other "wagons" out there, and it's a cute sporty mom car for the young at heart who aren't ready to graduate to the minivans, but also not willing to suffer the cost of fuel in an SUV!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.