Used 2007 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Favorite car yet - highly recommend it!
By MarleneB

2007 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Can't say enough good things about this car. If you're short, this car will fit you very well - no longer have to have steering wheel in my chest to reach pedals. My husband wanted me to buy one with extra (6 total) airbags but they weren't available in L.A. area. Fleet Mgr. found one from Oxnard area. In that pkg I got nicer wheel covers, moon/sun roof, 5 CD changer and the extra airbags. I think my stereo rocks. Maybe I got a better one? Used the car to move things out of my mom's estate. I have picked up materials for kitchen remodel. Have averaged 30 mpg in heavy traffic & city driving. I'm sure I'd get 40+ on long drives. When necessary I can punch it and get the power I need.

Stereo, cargo room, comfort, gas mileage.

I don't care for the included "cover" for the cargo area (to hide packages etc) straps for attaching it to car are very flimsy. Could use a "carpet" or the like for laying over cargo surface before loading items that could scratch.

Comments after 2+ years of driving
By BILL

2007 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great hauling space. Excellent mileage. Terrible radio display. Invisible with sunglasses on, especially on a sunny day. Rough ride, you can feel every bump. Jumps forward when moving from a stop. The PT Cruiser that the Matrix replaced was a better car to drive.

Great gas mileage plus hauling space.

Fix the radio display. Soften the ride slightly. Remove the startup jump.

Excellent buy
By sealey757

2007 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my Matrix for about 13 months now. I have to say that Iím constantly reminded of how good of a decision it was to buy this car! I traded down from a 4runner, and I have to say that I don't miss the cargo space. The cargo space provided in this matrix is unreal. The driving performance is good, the interior is good, and the fuel economy is good. Lets be honest if you're looking at this car itís to be economical, and you can't expect top of the line performance for the price. But for versatility, there aren't many out there that can't beat this. I definitely recommend this for anyone trading down from a SUV. Handling is firm and responsive, and fun to drive.

Cargo space, fuel economy, fun to drive, good handling.

Better cup holders (one is smaller than the other).

M Theory
By BigSam

2007 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have the Speedway Blue M-Theory Special Edition. Awesome 17" wheels & spoiler. Chicks love the car! Seriously. Mine's a 5 speed & still has little power, but I don't mind. I usually get about 32 mpg, but I drive about 80% city miles. Haven't been on a long road trip to test strict highway mileage. I'm 6'3" & car has plenty of room for me. The seat is only halfway back! Ride is a little rough with "sporty" suspension on M Theory. Occasionally clicking sound in brakes, dealer says is normal - that's a little annoying. Fun to drive!

Good mileage, 31-33 avg. Huge interior!! No joke. Good build quality.

MP3 player. Stick shift gets annoying.

Jack of all trades
By Nippon Fan

2007 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is such a fun car, considering it can seat four adults in comfort or carry a whole ton of stuff. The back seat is easy to drop flat, yet is a real full-size adult seat when it is up. Despite being a proper little utility vehicle, it also has great handling and a peppy engine - you never want for power yet the fuel economy is great (35+). I do believe you need to choose the manual transmission with the available power here - the automatic is much slower and also harder on gas. And I think it's a looker! One of my favorite details is the optitron gauges - I know those are becoming much more common these days, but I like how easy they are to read.

Handling, fuel economy, reliability, versatility, looks, low emissions, strong brakes, fun!

As others have noted, needs more driver's seat adjustments and could also use a telescoping steering wheel. Stock stereo is barely adequate at best, and mine isn't even the base model, it is the optional stereo! The shifter is OK but could be better - it's kind of notchy.