Used 2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

GOOD CHOICE BUT ONE QUIRK
By MikefromAlberta

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our second hand 07 Matrix XR in April of 07 and had it for almost 3 yrs. It has been very reliable. It has adequate power and is decent on fuel (about 42 miles/imperial gallon).It is extremely versatile and has great interior room. With winter snow tires, traction is excellent and it has no problem handling our Canadian winters. It does have one quirk and I'm not sure if our car is unique. It has the standard 1.8 engine and an automatic transmission. I brought it in a couple of times to the dealership and mentioned that it did not upshift smoothly after slowing down in city traffic. They couldn't help but by accident I realize that burning higher octane fuel solved the problem.

Versatile interior and very reliable. Nice dash and sporty looking.

Interior Dash lights come on even when car's tail lights are off. Annoying as it is easy to forget that the tail lights aren't on while the day time running lights and interior lights are turned on. Poor console cup holders. Could use a little more HP. Has significant road and wind noise on HWY.

Excellent Choice!
By MRE

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the XR model with full options almost 3 years ago. We wanted ABS & side airbags, which is not sold in LA area, so we special ordered & waited 3 months - SOOO worth it! I'm short and love that I can easily see the road without being squished against the steering wheel. My husband is 6'+ and he fits comfortably too. Back seats are very comfortable for adults, our passengers comment all the time. Great gas mileage. Best feature is cargo options, hands down. The power/acceleration could be better - but I'm not a race car driver, and this car is more than adequate. Our color is "phantom gray", which we LOVE. This will be our family car for many years to come.

Excellent cargo options, comfortable seating - especially for shorter driver. Great gas mileage.

Improve acceleration/sporty handling. Nix coin receptacles

31-35 MPG highway
By GCN

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased a 2007 base model w/ 5- spd, the "M Theory" package, and 36000 miles. Right off the bat got 31 MPG cruising at 77 MPH w/ AC on intermittently. Then cruising at 71 MPH on the way back w/ AC on full time got 35 MPG. So far I like the way it handles, the power is acceptable (but not sports car fun), but most importantly it a very useful car (parking, cargo, cost). "M Theory" is purely for looks, bright color but not worth extra $$$ for most.

Cargo space, MPG, cost to operate.

Shifter is blah, as is clutch.

I cried with the first fill-up!
By Beth G

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this Matrix used with only 8K and the original warranty - traded in my turbo 07 Forester which required premium gas and got 22mpg when premium went to $4.50/gallon. Computed the mpg on the Matrix with the first fill-up - got 36mpg!!! I cried! I love this car. I consistently get 32-36 mpg combined. Miss the sunroof and AWD of the Forester but got such a deal on the Matrix - bought snow tires and traction now as good as AWD.

For some reason I love the looks of the Matrix more than the Vibe - I smile whenever I see mine or others out on the road. Mine is sky blue, love the color. Love the ride. Love the interior space. Love the features and reliability. Most of the same features as Subaru but cheaper - better value!

Decent city car
By M. Patrick

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in a Subaru for the Matrix and I miss the power. The Toyota is a nice solid car and fits a dog well, lots of storage, very comfortable driving and comfortable for four adults. The center console is messy and doesn't fit a coffee cup w handle. Acceleration is kind of lame, you have to be light on the gas or you'll squeal the tires. I'll keep it because it's so economical and dependable. I haven't put a cent into it. But it is boring and really pretty terrible in the snow we have in Michigan.

Good mileage, comfortable. Excellent storage inside, good dog car (cleans easily, good spot for the dog in the back).

Can't get a bike rack to fit on it, rides too low.