2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
M Theory
By BigSam on 06/12/08 11:26 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have the Speedway Blue M-Theory Special Edition. Awesome 17" wheels & spoiler. Chicks love the car! Seriously. Mine's a 5 speed & still has little power, but I don't mind. I usually get about 32 mpg, but I drive about 80% city miles. Haven't been on a long road trip to test strict highway mileage. I'm 6'3" & car has plenty of room for me. The seat is only halfway back! Ride is a little rough with "sporty" suspension on M Theory. Occasionally clicking sound in brakes, dealer says is normal - that's a little annoying. Fun to drive!

Jack of all trades
By Nippon Fan on 05/13/08 07:50 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is such a fun car, considering it can seat four adults in comfort or carry a whole ton of stuff. The back seat is easy to drop flat, yet is a real full-size adult seat when it is up. Despite being a proper little utility vehicle, it also has great handling and a peppy engine - you never want for power yet the fuel economy is great (35+). I do believe you need to choose the manual transmission with the available power here - the automatic is much slower and also harder on gas. And I think it's a looker! One of my favorite details is the optitron gauges - I know those are becoming much more common these days, but I like how easy they are to read.

Meets most of my needs
By Up-the-River on 02/17/07 06:04 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Matrix XR replaced a Honda driven 10 yr, 250k and loved. I have yet to develop same affection for Matrix. After 10k it seems reliable, functional, economical, fun to drive. 5 sp shift is smooth but has a unique click sound each shift. Some design features are at times inconvenient or annoying. Visibility out side and back suffers. Front and rear seat headrests are always in way, same for body/roof posts. Warning signal for unbuckled seatbelts is loud, obnoxious. Why all the noise when passenger unbuckles to remove coat or briefcase or box is on passenger seat? And panic button on the key fob is horribly designed. How many times have I accidentally set it off? Please don't ask my neighbors!

Practical fun
By pohaku on 02/16/07 22:24 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

So many practical reasons to own this car: excellent gas mileage, lots of cargo room, Toyota reliability, flat-folding seats. But what sold me on it was that it's just a fun car to drive. The handling is enjoyable, the engine is more willing than its 126 hp would imply, the interior is cockpit-ish, the 6-cd sound system is decent, the seats are comfy with cool fabric, and the ride is nicer than the competition's. It's a nice mix of good stuff for the money. I was considering a Civic, but the Matrix had more cargo space, a nicer ride, a nicer interior, and was way more fun to drive. The auto I test drove was good, but I recommend a manual trans with any small engine.

What a great car!
By rollcar on 12/26/06 18:16 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have two kids, and this car fits my family perfectly. Cavernous? No, but plenty large for a family of four and everything that travels with it. I love the comfortable seats, the high seating position, the interior space (headroom in particular) and the incredible gas mileage. You won't find a better value in this price range, all things considered.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.