2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
6 years and going strong!
By matrixrocks on 08/04/14 09:19 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I needed a reliable car and definitely found one in the matrix. Have owned it for 6+ years and never spent much money on it, except for maintenance every 6 months or so (oil, tire rotation). It's not a sports car, kinda slow, but it takes you from A to B without worries and at a low cost. I get about 28mi/Gal overall. Love that I can flatten all the seats and fir big stuff in the car. Very satisfied with my purchase, and now that it's paid off, couldn't be happier!

Reliable
By tsiok on 02/25/11 05:21 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Our 07 Matrix is reliable. We needed that, since I work so far from home and can't be of much help if mom gets stuck and needs help. BUT, the amount of maintenance needed and the intervals of those appointments puts a strain on my alloted amount of days off!! OMG! Every month or so I "need" a preventive maintenance appointment. Don't the designers of these vehicles realize our lives don't revolve around the vehicles like theirs do? Expensive P.M.'s also! Never will buy again. Back to Chevy! Also, maybe you can check into the morals of your dealers! Lost me and more than a few others too.

I'm Happy
By ToyotaSceptic on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am getting way better gas mileage that what Ive seen in the reviews. In the summer I am getting 40. My only issue is with the paint job. My first Black car and it will scratch if you look at it wrong. Understandable Black cars can be cursed with this issue but when I noticed rust specks around the wheel areas? I was told it was because of the break pads and the dealership basically told me pound sand. Oh well next time Ill drive out of state to get my next Toyota.

Won't buy another
By doberwoman on 08/02/10 19:27 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2007 Matrix XR brand new, no one else even test drove it. I have 30,000 miles on it and so far at less than 20,000 miles they had to resurface the rotors, but the pads are just fine. They then replaced the belt. Then, they replaced the water pump and the belt again! Today I was driving down the road and it just died. It's in the shop right now. I don't know yet what this latest problem it, but of course it is out of warranty now. The car style is great for hauling stuff. Love the fold down back and passenger seats and love that the window in back opens without having to open the entire back.

Would prefer leather interior
By neighborette on 04/27/10 18:17 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

On the highway with light city driving I average 34 miles per gallon. The money I save on gas over my last vehicle pays my car payment. People like to complain buy American, [non-permissible content removed]. I would much rather spend that extra money on a newer car from a manufacturer that has created American Manufacturing Jobs. Toyota keep up the good, but no perfect work.

Used, abused and still going
By kmw52 on 04/15/10 11:53 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My Toyota Matrix has been a great car. I've use her to haul tools, plants and lots of junk. I have been able to fit lots and lots of stuff in the back. Recently, I hauled bedroom and living room furniture and a week ago, I bought a linen cabinet and the people I bought it from said it would be impossible to fit it inside the car, but it did fit, and they were impressed. I've also used it to pull up a couple of 10 foot trees. It scuffed the finish on the car, but nothing that could not be buffed out. I could go on and on. My only problem was with a dealership installed 6 CD player. It gave way 3 years to the day I bought my car. Still, I love this car.

Good Dog Car
By wolf on 03/07/10 07:16 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car used at 36,000 miles. I love it and have not had any problems since purchasing it a year ago. My only complaint is that the in-town mileage is not as good as expected. I get about 23-2 mpg in a very cold and snowy city. Summer hwy miles have been as good as 36 mpg. Granted, I have had to idle the car to warm it up while I clear off ice and snow on our very coldest of days, which reduces mileage considerably. Overall, I love the car and am looking forward to having it for many years to come.

GOOD CHOICE BUT ONE QUIRK
By MikefromAlberta on 02/19/10 14:59 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our second hand 07 Matrix XR in April of 07 and had it for almost 3 yrs. It has been very reliable. It has adequate power and is decent on fuel (about 42 miles/imperial gallon).It is extremely versatile and has great interior room. With winter snow tires, traction is excellent and it has no problem handling our Canadian winters. It does have one quirk and I'm not sure if our car is unique. It has the standard 1.8 engine and an automatic transmission. I brought it in a couple of times to the dealership and mentioned that it did not upshift smoothly after slowing down in city traffic. They couldn't help but by accident I realize that burning higher octane fuel solved the problem.

Excellent Choice!
By MRE on 01/27/10 12:11 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the XR model with full options almost 3 years ago. We wanted ABS & side airbags, which is not sold in LA area, so we special ordered & waited 3 months - SOOO worth it! I'm short and love that I can easily see the road without being squished against the steering wheel. My husband is 6'+ and he fits comfortably too. Back seats are very comfortable for adults, our passengers comment all the time. Great gas mileage. Best feature is cargo options, hands down. The power/acceleration could be better - but I'm not a race car driver, and this car is more than adequate. Our color is "phantom gray", which we LOVE. This will be our family car for many years to come.

31-35 MPG highway
By GCN on 09/08/09 09:52 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased a 2007 base model w/ 5- spd, the "M Theory" package, and 36000 miles. Right off the bat got 31 MPG cruising at 77 MPH w/ AC on intermittently. Then cruising at 71 MPH on the way back w/ AC on full time got 35 MPG. So far I like the way it handles, the power is acceptable (but not sports car fun), but most importantly it a very useful car (parking, cargo, cost). "M Theory" is purely for looks, bright color but not worth extra $$$ for most.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.