2007 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
I'm Happy
By ToyotaSceptic on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am getting way better gas mileage that what Ive seen in the reviews. In the summer I am getting 40. My only issue is with the paint job. My first Black car and it will scratch if you look at it wrong. Understandable Black cars can be cursed with this issue but when I noticed rust specks around the wheel areas? I was told it was because of the break pads and the dealership basically told me pound sand. Oh well next time Ill drive out of state to get my next Toyota.

Would prefer leather interior
By neighborette on 04/27/10 18:17 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

On the highway with light city driving I average 34 miles per gallon. The money I save on gas over my last vehicle pays my car payment. People like to complain buy American, [non-permissible content removed]. I would much rather spend that extra money on a newer car from a manufacturer that has created American Manufacturing Jobs. Toyota keep up the good, but no perfect work.

Good Dog Car
By wolf on 03/07/10 07:16 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car used at 36,000 miles. I love it and have not had any problems since purchasing it a year ago. My only complaint is that the in-town mileage is not as good as expected. I get about 23-2 mpg in a very cold and snowy city. Summer hwy miles have been as good as 36 mpg. Granted, I have had to idle the car to warm it up while I clear off ice and snow on our very coldest of days, which reduces mileage considerably. Overall, I love the car and am looking forward to having it for many years to come.

31-35 MPG highway
By GCN on 09/08/09 09:52 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased a 2007 base model w/ 5- spd, the "M Theory" package, and 36000 miles. Right off the bat got 31 MPG cruising at 77 MPH w/ AC on intermittently. Then cruising at 71 MPH on the way back w/ AC on full time got 35 MPG. So far I like the way it handles, the power is acceptable (but not sports car fun), but most importantly it a very useful car (parking, cargo, cost). "M Theory" is purely for looks, bright color but not worth extra $$$ for most.

I cried with the first fill-up!
By Beth G on 08/18/09 22:58 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this Matrix used with only 8K and the original warranty - traded in my turbo 07 Forester which required premium gas and got 22mpg when premium went to $4.50/gallon. Computed the mpg on the Matrix with the first fill-up - got 36mpg!!! I cried! I love this car. I consistently get 32-36 mpg combined. Miss the sunroof and AWD of the Forester but got such a deal on the Matrix - bought snow tires and traction now as good as AWD.

Love it!
By C on 07/24/09 09:04 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2005 Matrix until I was T- boned on driver side after a minivan ran a red light at 50 mph. Car was totaled, but I walked away with all limbs & I was so happy w. the safety of side impact that I bought another Matrix (2007). I love it! City MPG on manual trans. is about 29-30 MPG (I calculate it every so often). I am only 5'2" so I like that the seat raises and I don't have to be too close to the steering wheel.

Very impressed so far!
By parbri on 07/07/07 20:44 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Life long full size pickup owner here, but decided to commit to reduced fuel use. I parked my full size pickup and purchased this for a work vehicle. I farm for a living, and I was thinking of a Tacoma, but was not sure the mileage would be good enough to switch, so decided on the Matrix. Fuel mileage is 30-32 so far, on 1000 miles drive, with short distance on and off pavement driving. Loads of fun to drive as well! I couldn't be happier!

Quick and Nimble
By Out Door Guy on 05/27/07 07:37 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Got rid of my Nissan Pathfinder for this ride. I've put 800 miles on it so far without any problems. The manual tranny shift is at hand level which makes changing gears pretty effortless. Overall the vehicle is quite nimble and fun to drive although the engine is noisy in 1st and 2nd gear. Once up to speed it rides well. Mileage is a solid 26 city, 29 highway. As others have noted the suspension is stiff so when you hit a bump or pothole you feel it. As you know the storage is fantastic with hatchback convenience. If you haul a lot of outdoor gear like skiis, camping equipment or a bike this is the car for you.

5 speed Matrix
By BEADIE on 11/09/06 10:32 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Matrix is a Corolla wagon and is very similar to the Dodge Vibe. It has been a fun car to drive. What it lacks in power it makes up for in gas mileage. The interior of the hatch-back trunk is plastic so things can easily slide around. There are nets but we bought a mat that has helped to keep things from sliding around.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.