2006 Toyota Matrix Consumer Review: Could be better.

2006 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Review

Could be better.
By CJ on

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Had a '93 Corolla. Decided to buy a Matrix based on experience w/ Toyota. This is a typical Toyota, very well built, drives fine. Driver legroom is not good, I'm 6-0. Right leg has very little room between the dash and center console. Drivers seat is very uncomfortable. I seem to fall to the right side in it. Hope it just needs breaking in but fear otherwise. Odometer/trip meter cycles with small button behind wheel that you can't push while driving. Can't see both trip/odo @ same time. I like to always see the odo. Air controls badly placed behind shifter. Cargo cover chintzy. Forced to buy cargo pad as none standard, cargo will shift w/out one. Based on legroom & seat comfort may not keep car very long.

Favorite Features

Well built. Drives predictably. Sufficient power for commuting. Good MPG. Cargo area w/ seats down.

Suggested Improvements

Allow odometer to display with trip meter. Better legroom for taller drivers. My physically smaller Corolla had better use of space in this regard. Better cargo cover. Bigger side mirrors. Improved air control layout.