2006 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews 8

2006 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

2006 Matrix Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Fun to drive
By What a car

2006 Toyota Matrix XRS 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car its small fun to drive.The fuel economy is great.The interior is simple and nice the seats are soft.On are matrix xrs we did the TRD racing shocks the ride is firm we also did cross bars on the car because there was a lot of body roll. When geting on the gas pedal the car has a very hard time finding traction you think when toyota was building it they would of put a limited slip in it. But once you get passed that the car takes off once out of first gear and into second when you get over 61000RPM the second cam opens the car takes of. Its fun to drive easy to take care of and its fun to drive

Favorite Features

The power is great. Very comfortable

Suggested Improvements

none its perfect

2006 XR, stick shift
By Steve_Price

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, holds an unbelievable amount of stuff, sips gasoline. I haven't liked a new car this much since my 1965 Dodge Dart GT.

Favorite Features

Incredible space inside, style, gas mileage (around 37 mpg in a mix of highway and suburban driving)

Suggested Improvements

A little more "oomph" above 55 mph, but I guess this would come at the cost of gas mileage.

Bought two!
By cycler

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought an '06 Matrix XR in late March. We liked it so much, we bought a second one a week ago. We have three Collies and the Matrix is ideal for transporting them ... room to spare with the rear seats down. We really cannot think of anything we don't like about the Matrix. I've seen comments about cheap interior, but it all looks fine to me. Everything fits and there are no sqeaks or rattles. My wife and I both feel that they are not noisy at highway speeds. They also seem to have more than adequate acceleration. Fuel economy falls right in line with the EPA estimates. I'd recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a small versatile vehicle.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy ... mine falls right in the EPA estimate. Ergonomics. Versatility. Interior room. Versatility.

Suggested Improvements

A little more horse power would be nice but not really necessary. Visibility could be improved, but can be compensated for as is. Just nit-picking here.

Long 4200 Mile Trip
By Dan

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Drove from AZ thru CO, KS to MO and then back thru AR, OK, and NM. Camped out in it a total of 6 nights. A blowup mattress will fit in back with the seats down and forward. Performed well in the CO mountains for the size of the engine. Able to maintain 65-70 mph on the 6-7% grades. Averaged 32- 33 mpg depending on the speed. Great for an AWD! Used the AC outlet to blowup the mattress, use my laptop, and charge our camera batteries. A definite plus! The seats were fairly comfortable for the long-hauls. An adjustable lumbar support would be nice. Has been reliable so far. The sunroof cover squeaked for awhile but the dealership fixed it. No really major complaints.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, AWD (comfort level increases greatly on dirt backroads), mileage, AC outlet. Very versatile car for the money. All around airbags (we feel safe). Spacious interior for the size.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger cupholders, More power would be nice (can't complain too much though with the great MPG), bigger sunvisors, relocate the change holder.

cool Matrix
By vjns

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent design and quality. Although the ride is higher compared to my civics, it still feels very sporty and responsive. Since it is designed as a ULEV crossover, it is really versatile, affortable and comfortable. Auto transmission is really smooth and gas mileage is great. Very happy with the car since I got it new and fully loaded in Mar 2006. Great price and great looks, all my friends love it at my work place. Only other car that generate so much attention at work is a 2006 Mustang GT but he is suffering with his gas bills and insurance.

Favorite Features

Love the paint job and design of the vehicle. The 200K km maintenance schedule (first spark plug change) and timing chain design is a plus. Moon roof and fog lamps is another plus plus.

Suggested Improvements

Need better audio speakers and transmission column is too close to dash rotary controls.

Nice Surprise But Do Your Homework
By Nisky16

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

So far this car has been pleasant to drive and is very versatile. Despite its sporty look, it's not a sports car so if your aim is power don't buy it. It sits higher up than regular cars and feels more like a small SUV but with better gas mileage and handling. The emergency brake doesn't catch all the time when I park but is hopefully an easy fix. I've had the car for 1 month and am undecided on whether I think the mileage is a good deal yet. Highway driving rated approx 360 miles/tank, mixed driving has been approx 300-325, city was less than 300. Hopefully the tank just needs more breaking in. Paint is durable - car was hit with hundreds of marble size hail and not a dent on it.

Favorite Features

The forward flat folding front passenger seat; stereo has lots of features like the text key and 6 CD changer; The 2 cargo nets are super handy; interior has lots of storage compartments; great head room; shifter is angled on console and is surprisingly more comfy than the normal flat positions.

Suggested Improvements

The storage compartment doors on console and under steering wheel feel a bit flimsy and could be better quality; foot pedals need to be spaced further apart. If you don't hit them right your foot can hit 2 at once or get caught under the pedal to the side of what you're pushing on.

Happy with Matrix
By pammleigh

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the 5 speed matrix. I am very happy with it. The handling is very responsive. The sound system is enjoyable. My only complaint - the shifter makes kind of a cheap clicking sound when you shift. Also - all of the beeping for everything makes me crazy - but I guess this is true with all new cars. I am convinced I got the best car available in it's class for the least amount of money - a bonus - my teenage son thinks the car "is cool."

Favorite Features

Lots of storage

Suggested Improvements

Classier shift that doesn't make clicking noise. Can you ever turn the headlights off while driving?

Great versatile car
By Matt_B

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car rides great and is comfortable around town. It has plenty of room (headroom is great without the sunroof) and I am 6'4" 230lbs. The fuel economy is excellent. We just bought the car so I can't comment on durability etc. Maybe I will in another 5 years. If you are looking for a fuel efficient vehicle that is very practical and roomy look no further.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, fold down seats, and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a turbo 4 with around 200hp to make the drive more fun.

Needs some improvements!
By goat herder

2006 Toyota Matrix 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Handling in any slightly icy or wet weather is very poor. Gear shifts are poor with the tachometer spiking up and down as automatic shifts into gears. No room in tire hold for a real tire. I prefer not to use the donut. When I was removing a package from the passenger side, a handle flipped over the gear shift and the car jumped into reverse! (Ignition was still on but had been in park.) Fueel economy is nowhere near the sticker. Best I have gotten (100 per day highway driving) is 26 mpg. Whenever the weather is cold or wet, fuel economy drops and the "sticking" problem with the gears increases. At times it feels like I have to push the car to get it to move.

Favorite Features

Great visibilty, great cargo space, good radio reception, easy getting in and out of seats.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission needs work. Stability in wind and poor road conditions need work. Fuel economy needs improvement. Maintenance light is annoying. All plastic interior.

Toyota Mavin
By Penni

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The Matrix is one of the most fun vehicles I have owned. It is quiet, peppy in town, smooth riding, and response handling. My model is a loaded XR front wheel drive with the side spoilers in Phantom Gray Pearl. The six-disc radio has wonderful sound. Even my dog loves the car - she begs to go for rides. Gas mileage is a little lower than I expected, but I am averaging 24 mpg in town and 32 mpg on the highway with an automatic transmission. I just added the sunroof deflector - a good improvement with the sunroof open.

Favorite Features

Handling is great - solid, quick and exciting. Fit and finish is top drawer.

Suggested Improvements

The engine could use a little more power on the highway, but around town it is more than adequate.