2006 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Fun to drive
By What a car on 05/26/06 11:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix XRS 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car its small fun to drive.The fuel economy is great.The interior is simple and nice the seats are soft.On are matrix xrs we did the TRD racing shocks the ride is firm we also did cross bars on the car because there was a lot of body roll. When geting on the gas pedal the car has a very hard time finding traction you think when toyota was building it they would of put a limited slip in it. But once you get passed that the car takes off once out of first gear and into second when you get over 61000RPM the second cam opens the car takes of. Its fun to drive easy to take care of and its fun to drive

2006 XR, stick shift
By Steve_Price on 05/25/06 11:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, holds an unbelievable amount of stuff, sips gasoline. I haven't liked a new car this much since my 1965 Dodge Dart GT.

Bought two!
By cycler on 05/23/06 17:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought an '06 Matrix XR in late March. We liked it so much, we bought a second one a week ago. We have three Collies and the Matrix is ideal for transporting them ... room to spare with the rear seats down. We really cannot think of anything we don't like about the Matrix. I've seen comments about cheap interior, but it all looks fine to me. Everything fits and there are no sqeaks or rattles. My wife and I both feel that they are not noisy at highway speeds. They also seem to have more than adequate acceleration. Fuel economy falls right in line with the EPA estimates. I'd recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a small versatile vehicle.

Long 4200 Mile Trip
By Dan on 05/19/06 00:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Drove from AZ thru CO, KS to MO and then back thru AR, OK, and NM. Camped out in it a total of 6 nights. A blowup mattress will fit in back with the seats down and forward. Performed well in the CO mountains for the size of the engine. Able to maintain 65-70 mph on the 6-7% grades. Averaged 32- 33 mpg depending on the speed. Great for an AWD! Used the AC outlet to blowup the mattress, use my laptop, and charge our camera batteries. A definite plus! The seats were fairly comfortable for the long-hauls. An adjustable lumbar support would be nice. Has been reliable so far. The sunroof cover squeaked for awhile but the dealership fixed it. No really major complaints.

cool Matrix
By vjns on 05/18/06 18:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent design and quality. Although the ride is higher compared to my civics, it still feels very sporty and responsive. Since it is designed as a ULEV crossover, it is really versatile, affortable and comfortable. Auto transmission is really smooth and gas mileage is great. Very happy with the car since I got it new and fully loaded in Mar 2006. Great price and great looks, all my friends love it at my work place. Only other car that generate so much attention at work is a 2006 Mustang GT but he is suffering with his gas bills and insurance.

Nice Surprise But Do Your Homework
By Nisky16 on 05/17/06 18:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

So far this car has been pleasant to drive and is very versatile. Despite its sporty look, it's not a sports car so if your aim is power don't buy it. It sits higher up than regular cars and feels more like a small SUV but with better gas mileage and handling. The emergency brake doesn't catch all the time when I park but is hopefully an easy fix. I've had the car for 1 month and am undecided on whether I think the mileage is a good deal yet. Highway driving rated approx 360 miles/tank, mixed driving has been approx 300-325, city was less than 300. Hopefully the tank just needs more breaking in. Paint is durable - car was hit with hundreds of marble size hail and not a dent on it.

Happy with Matrix
By pammleigh on 05/16/06 12:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the 5 speed matrix. I am very happy with it. The handling is very responsive. The sound system is enjoyable. My only complaint - the shifter makes kind of a cheap clicking sound when you shift. Also - all of the beeping for everything makes me crazy - but I guess this is true with all new cars. I am convinced I got the best car available in it's class for the least amount of money - a bonus - my teenage son thinks the car "is cool."

Great versatile car
By Matt_B on 05/16/06 11:01 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car rides great and is comfortable around town. It has plenty of room (headroom is great without the sunroof) and I am 6'4" 230lbs. The fuel economy is excellent. We just bought the car so I can't comment on durability etc. Maybe I will in another 5 years. If you are looking for a fuel efficient vehicle that is very practical and roomy look no further.

Needs some improvements!
By goat herder on 05/12/06 07:42 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Handling in any slightly icy or wet weather is very poor. Gear shifts are poor with the tachometer spiking up and down as automatic shifts into gears. No room in tire hold for a real tire. I prefer not to use the donut. When I was removing a package from the passenger side, a handle flipped over the gear shift and the car jumped into reverse! (Ignition was still on but had been in park.) Fueel economy is nowhere near the sticker. Best I have gotten (100 per day highway driving) is 26 mpg. Whenever the weather is cold or wet, fuel economy drops and the "sticking" problem with the gears increases. At times it feels like I have to push the car to get it to move.

Toyota Mavin
By Penni on 05/11/06 19:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The Matrix is one of the most fun vehicles I have owned. It is quiet, peppy in town, smooth riding, and response handling. My model is a loaded XR front wheel drive with the side spoilers in Phantom Gray Pearl. The six-disc radio has wonderful sound. Even my dog loves the car - she begs to go for rides. Gas mileage is a little lower than I expected, but I am averaging 24 mpg in town and 32 mpg on the highway with an automatic transmission. I just added the sunroof deflector - a good improvement with the sunroof open.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.